Looking to switch from E* to D*, any comparable receiver to E*'s 922 (minus Sling)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
I've lived without the YES network, the loss of MSG, no full time HD RSN's or should I say the one of the three RSN's in my area wasn't even full time HD. I've got a 922 receiver and can't sling to my BlackBerry, because Dish hasn't put out a working SlingPlayer app for my BlackBerry Torch. But, now with Dish taking SNY down, it's now having me look at, and compare my options. Sunday Ticket and ESPN 3D were also nice options that I would like to have, so I'm looking at DirecTV.

However, I've been very happy with my Dish receivers and in comparing my options I want to understand the equipment that any new provider has to offer. The multi-room viewing options or Whole-Home DVR service does seem to be a big plus over my DishNetwork receivers. I do prefer the way DishNetwork uses External Hard Drives and really love everything about the 922 receiver and was wondering how any of you that has had or has both satellite providers feel about DirecTV's receivers.

Does having Whole-Home DVR service require any additional wiring from what I have with Dish now? Does their HD DVR's offer PIP or swapping of tuners?

I see that they offer the AM21 Off-Air Tuner, which they say is designed to work seamlessly with the DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR, and that this specialized tuner:
  • Allows you to view your local off-air HD channels if you can't get them from DIRECTV.
  • Integrates your local channels into your on-screen Program Guide so that they appear in your channel list just like all of your other DIRECTV channels.
Does using the AM21 give you the ability to also record from your local off air antenna? Can you get the AM21 even if you do receive your locals from DirecTV? What does the AM21 cost?

Which HD DVR does DirecTV offer that has Channel Logos and the ability to activate the 30 second skip? Does any of their HD DVR's have a GUI similar to Dish's 922?

Which HD DVR would you suggest? I'm sorry for the questions, but as I said I'd like to learn more about DirecTV's receivers before I make the switch. Thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts