Looks Like Lin is back!

Yes, most watched WROC channel 8. About 2 miles east of me is the county boarder and Rochester claims significantly viewed status and both Buffalo and Rochester locals are offered on cable in both SD and HD. Myself, I live in Erie country (Where Buffalo is) and can’t legally view Rochester stations on cable but I do get them in HD when I have the cable line hooked directly up to the TV via unencrypted QAM. I also get most of the local stations from Elmira, NY that way too, but last time I checked those were SD only. And I know of three people who live right on the county boarder, a couple hundred feet into Erie County but must be connected to a node in the other county as they get Roch locals on regular digital cable as well. Down in the Southern part of the state TW offers locals from both Buffalo and Erie, PA. When LIN stations were pulled, out of the 8 country Buffalo market, only two counties were shut off from getting CBS from another market and like I said those of us on the Eastern edge of Erie and Niagara could use QAM.

But none of this is the least bit relevent anymore as like we've both stated there's contracts in place with the networks themselves.

What are you going to do in June if DIRECTV pulls the LIN stations over a retrans dispute? Eat a huge contract-break fee with DIRECTV and come back to DISH?

Nope, guess we'll just live with it that time around...but this time happily enjoying MSG.

Most watched a different CBS? Legally Dish can't do that... If they were allowed to, rest assured they would!

I was under the impression Dish can now provide a neighboring network if it is significantly watched.....No?

I was under the impression Dish can now provide a neighboring network if it is significantly watched.....No?

They can use a neighboring network if its a "short market" (ie: missing the network all together) but SV Dish use to use in some areas (that was lost back in 06 with the distants)

There are some unique spots where SV is allowed. There's a couple counties in Vermont that get Boston and Albany (I think) locals in their county. They now get Burlington as SV in those 2 counties. Of course it took a lawmaker to get it passed ;)

Directv does have some areas where they do SV but its pretty few and far between

Ok, I thought now all the restrictions were lifted, and Dish could now offer a significantly viewed station even if it was not a short market.
In Eastern Ct. there are at least two significantly viewed stations from Boston, and I believe at least one in Providence. Cable still carries two of them, and one is an ABC station, which is what LIN is in CT.....

You know, even with my abnormal interest in distants (lol) I can hardly keep up with what all the restrictions there are anymore....

I hate LIN. Even with DirecTV they were a-holes. Their ABC station here in CT has the WORST HD picture in the world, and they never bothered to upgrade MYCT to HD on D*. I fully support E* in not caving in to their ridiculous demands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate LIN. Even with DirecTV they were a-holes. Their ABC station here in CT has the WORST HD picture in the world, and they never bothered to upgrade MYCT to HD on D*. I fully support E* in not caving in to their ridiculous demands.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about it......:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we know what DISH's makegood for the LIN dispute it? I haven't been contacted by DISH Network to explain what they are going to offer me for the fact 2 of the 7 significant stations in my local package is currently not available yet I"m still paying the $5/month forced local package fee.

Do we know what DISH's makegood for the LIN dispute it? I haven't been contacted by DISH Network to explain what they are going to offer me for the fact 2 of the 7 significant stations in my local package is currently not available yet I"m still paying the $5/month forced local package fee.

U have to contact them to get $$ knocked off.

Lin Television also had a dispute with Brighthouse Networks a couple of years ago that resulted in some blackouts. Here is a news article about it:
WISH-TV Off Cable In Dispute - Money News Story - WRTV Indianapolis

Ironically, this is the end of the article:
"We're trying everything possible to get it worked out," White said. "They can hook up an antenna and receive us over the air … They can go to AT&T, DirecTV and Dish Network."

Last edited:
This is awesome! I’m ten for eleven on convincing people I know (friends, family, neighbors, coworkers) to dump their dish and switch to cable, and even after promos are up all ten and still with TW. The satellite companies have made it easy and all I have to do paint a picture and use some key wording in making my case. The one person who I can’t get to switch? My own uncle who got Dish Notwork the same day we did in December of 1998. Now with no CBS for the CSIs, NCISs and Criminal Minds’, combined with how much he hates his DVRs I think I can finally break through to him. Hopefully tomorrow I can score my eleventh Time Warner service referral and be a perfect 11/11 on making people see the light.

Obviously Steve you are forgetting TW's 2-3 month battle with LIN two years ago, during Football Season. Many ppl in the Buffalo jumped from TW to Dish or
Directv be able to get the Bills games because the Buffalo CBS Affiliate is a Lin Station. The biggest reason TW is keeping the ppl whom switched is because of the lack of High Speed Internet Providers in our area. If FIOS was available throughout WNY, TW would not be holding subscribers hostage once their promos end. By hostage, I mean $60 a month for Roadrunner stand alone, as compared with a bundle pricing plan.

What's actually the most annoying to me in all this mess is that I'm not getting guide info from Dish for KXAN/KNVA for my OTA channels. They have an "Important News - Press Info" message for the KXAN/KNVA OTA listings, too. Apparently it's more important for Dish to have us call LIN, than for us to know the actual program listing info on these channels if we're lucky enough to also have OTA. I guess they have to have this message for both the Dish locals, AND the OTA locals? Thank goodness I "live" in Dallas, and can see the NBC Network listings for KXAS.

And what are they exactly? Conditions?

Don't know. Never had a network pulled since TW came out with this agreement. And for primetime network programming, TW has agreements in place with ABC, NBC and CBS to provide programming On Demand. I would assume those contrats are with the networks themselves. So Even if there was no other feed avalable for whatever reason, all primetime shows can be watched a day later On Demand.

Obviously Steve you are forgetting TW's 2-3 month battle with LIN two years ago, during Football Season. Many ppl in the Buffalo jumped from TW to Dish or
Directv be able to get the Bills games because the Buffalo CBS Affiliate is a Lin Station. The biggest reason TW is keeping the ppl whom switched is because of the lack of High Speed Internet Providers in our area. If FIOS was available throughout WNY, TW would not be holding subscribers hostage once their promos end. By hostage, I mean $60 a month for Roadrunner stand alone, as compared with a bundle pricing plan.

If you would read my previous posts, no I am not forgetting. That 2-3 month battle with LIN resulted in CBS being off the air for less than a month. October 3-29. In that time there were three Bills games as they had a bye during that time. One of the games was a home game against SD so that was on Fox. I watched both the game Arizona slaughtered Buffalo and the Miami loss on WROC on TW. A grand total of two Bills games were not see on WIVB on TW. As for Verizon Fios, its a joke. People don't want it. If more homes they passed would have subscribed they'd be making an ROI and they wouldn’t have had to halt Fios deployment. But relatively no one wants Verizon’s junk so they had to cut back.

There was no real mass exodous from TW. Look at the other options. Dish didn't have MSG HD, they have no YES period. Crappy Fios doesn't have MSG HD and DirecTV was getting ready to do battle with Comcast over Versus. TW gave out free rabbit ears to anyone that wanted them so people could watch channel 4 OTA, is Dish Notwork doing that?

TW has agreements in place with ABC, NBC and CBS to provide programming On Demand. I would assume those contrats are with the networks themselves.

Some programming, and not immediate. Not a day to day substitute for local affiliates.

Last edited:
When I got dish 10+ years ago and got the superstations package I watch KTLA and new york news way more than Ft. Wayne news.

I got no problem with them yanking the cbs if it means they have to change us more, I will just use OTA. My only problem is I wish that the dish timers had a way to just change the channel it records not only for this situation but there are several programs that I record in HD but then watch on tuner 2 and the audio is a bit whacky and some text is chopped so since I watch it mostly from #2 I might as well just record it in standard def. I know delete the timer and re do it... but then I forgot that dish put the Important Announcement on all of the CBS guides so I had to go look up when the programs were actually on :)

OK, so our CBS affiliate is gone from Dish for now. We can watch it OTA and record "old school." If push comes to shove, an OTA module for the 722K will let us back into DVR land (manual timers work just fine, thank you very much). This whole debacle makes me long for the days when we got the New York networks from Dish. The NY news was much more interesting and professionally done, plus they had a lot fewer technical issues than our Fort Wayne station does. Last week was worse than usual. I should have counted how many screw ups they had last week sticking in their "Dish is evil" messages that caused them to return to the network shows late. Yeah, some some subscribers will jump ship (bye, bye), but I think as consumers we must take a stand sometime against both rinky-dink locals and monopolies like Disney demanding exorbitant fee increases that invariably get passed on to us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)