Looks like Netflix is online rental to have for SD/HD

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
It has been announced this morning that Blockbuster raised their total access "3 out at a time" from $24.99 to $34.99. Most comments on the articles have stated the word "canceled".

I dont know what BB is thinking but I feel Netflix's sub rate is about to dramatically increase.

Well, I figured I could actually post this one and not get an fanboy war.

Plus, the subject really doesnt apply to one forum or the other.

Well you were WRONG:mad: Netflix suck bla bla bla!!! LOL no really i love my netflix!!:D:up

Hehe.

You know, they seem to have cut back on throttling. Ive turned in 3 to 4 per week for the last 2 mo's and im still getting them very quickly. It may be Im behind on the movies so Im not asking to new releases too. Im about 4 weeks behind new releases at this point.

Wow. Considering the quality of service, this is not good for Blockbuster. Blockbuster was very slow. Normal turnaround was 7 days for 1 DVD. Netflix is 3 or 4 days. Glad I stuck with Netflix.:)

Wow. Considering the quality of service, this is not good for Blockbuster. Blockbuster was very slow. Normal turnaround was 7 days for 1 DVD. Netflix is 3 or 4 days. Glad I stuck with Netflix.:)

I agree, it is bad.

I've tried blockbuster online 3 or 4 times in the last two years. Most recent was early summer. Same ol ****, different day. SLOW. Plus the fact they skipped over all my BD selections for 3 weeks because they were late and kept sending me sd dvd's and the tv shows I had picked.

Im wondering what in the world they are thinking.

Hehe.

You know, they seem to have cut back on throttling. Ive turned in 3 to 4 per week for the last 2 mo's and im still getting them very quickly. It may be Im behind on the movies so Im not asking to new releases too. Im about 4 weeks behind new releases at this point.

That's good to hear. My wife keeps wanting me to sign up for Netflix, which would be ok except that she wants me to do that instead of buying movies.... ouch.

Just wondering, though, can I have only HD movies in my queue, or do you have to have SD ones as well? I certainly don't need any more SD DVD's in my house....

I'm also wondering if this will make it easier for Netflix to raise prices without taking too much of a PR hit.

That's good to hear. My wife keeps wanting me to sign up for Netflix, which would be ok except that she wants me to do that instead of buying movies.... ouch.

Just wondering, though, can I have only HD movies in my queue, or do you have to have SD ones as well? I certainly don't need any more SD DVD's in my house....

I'm also wondering if this will make it easier for Netflix to raise prices without taking too much of a PR hit.
You can have either HD or SD, and you can change the format in your queue at any time. I have HD DVD as my first choice, then BD, then SD. It will select the format based on those choices automaticly.

You can have either HD or SD, and you can change the format in your queue at any time. I have HD DVD as my first choice, then BD, then SD. It will select the format based on those choices automaticly.

I agree, this is a great feature.

I have:

BD
HD-DVD
DVD

I do the same, if one is short wait on BD, I change it to HD-DVD to see if it helps my cause :)

I pay $25.16/month for 4 out at a time. I could easily watch 16 movies per month, so its a great value IMHO. If they went to $30, still worth it due to speed and service.

Issue with BB is you are paying the same to more, and getting much worse service. I have no use or time for in store return, mailing is best for me.

I don't know what BB is thinking. I have Total Access 3 out at a time but I will never pay $34 a month for it! Right now I am paying $17.99 and I think that's a lot.

oh sure, I post this in the Chit Chat forum last night and I only get minimal response. :)

Guess I'm gonna have to start being a fanboy to get people to read my posts! Just kidding elway.

Well keep an eye out. People are randomly receiving the emailed price increase.

Article:

Hacking NetFlix : Blockbuster Raises Prices Again: 3-Out Unlimited Plan Now $34.99

Actually I just got it today. Said it will increase to $19.99 starting next week. I am not sure I watch enough movies to justify $240 a year... I think last year I watched about 100 movies total and more than half of them were "I don't really want to watch this but there is not much else to pick". So if the price increased to $20 a month, I would be spending close to $4 per movie I wanted to watch! That's more than renting it from the store.

What makes it even more of a stickler is they only gave 8 days notice on the increase to some accounts. What a sneaky thing to do during a busy holiday time period.

Sorry if I'm being dense here... but when you say "it will select the format automatically," does that mean that if a movie is on your list and they only have it available on SD, that's what they'll send you? Or can you leave SD out altogether?

Actually I just got it today. Said it will increase to $19.99 starting next week. I am not sure I watch enough movies to justify $240 a year... I think last year I watched about 100 movies total and more than half of them were "I don't really want to watch this but there is not much else to pick". So if the price increased to $20 a month, I would be spending close to $4 per movie I wanted to watch! That's more than renting it from the store.

The email seems to be farying, wonder why. Are they charging more for heavy users? Is your 3 out the "unlimited"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)