Lose Satellite signal when unplugging HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks.

Like most new TVs there is little to do. With everything off, I wouldn’t worry about the receiver; make sure you connect the HDMI cable to input 1. Go to input settings and select HDMI 1. I’m sure you’ve already done this. No need to scan unless you want OTA. On the remote, find input and toggle until you get to input 1. You should have a picture. Beyond that, I’d call the 800 number listed and let them help you.

Thanks.

Like most new TVs there is little to do. With everything off, I wouldn’t worry about the receiver; make sure you connect the HDMI cable to input 1. Go to input settings and select HDMI 1. I’m sure you’ve already done this. No need to scan unless you want OTA. On the remote, find input and toggle until you get to input 1. You should have a picture. Beyond that, I’d call the 800 number listed and let them help you.

did all that several times including call the 800 number, they are clueless. I can view all the receiver settings on the TV, it's just no signal for channels.

did all that several times including call the 800 number, they are clueless. I can view all the receiver settings on the TV, it's just no signal for channels.
You said you had a signal earlier, now you don't ?

How many TV's are you trying to run ?
I'm just curious as all outputs on the recvr are turned on.

IF i recall, you said you has a picture with Component as well as HDMI , but not when you hook them both up ?

IF you have a signal on HDMI on the TV until you hook up another one, it sounds like the processing on the recvr is not working properly.

IF I have this all correct.

You said you had a signal earlier, now you don't ?

How many TV's are you trying to run ?
I'm just curious as all outputs on the recvr are turned on.

IF i recall, you said you has a picture with Component as well as HDMI , but not when you hook them both up ?

IF you have a signal on HDMI on the TV until you hook up another one, it sounds like the processing on the recvr is not working properly.

IF I have this all correct.

Without trying to come off wrong. I think you read my post wrong. I was upgrading to a new TV but I am beginning to think it's just a problem with the receiver. I really appreciate everyone help. This is a problem for the record books because I have done extensive testing and the results make no sense. It's as if the old TV and receiver are paired to only work with each other.

Without trying to come off wrong. I think you read my post wrong. I was upgrading to a new TV but I am beginning to think it's just a problem with the receiver. I really appreciate everyone help. This is a problem for the record books because I have done extensive testing and the results make no sense. It's as if the old TV and receiver are paired to only work with each other.

OK, so your really only dealing with trying to set up the New TV...

Then everything should have worked originally, the dish is aligned as we know, because you had picture.
The connection between the recvr and the TV must be bad.

You have swapped HDMI cables ?
Have you tried the recvr ion a different HDMI input, most new TV's have more than one, it could be bad.

Do you have a Blu ray or another device that works on HDMI that you can hook up to the TV on that input and see if you have signal ?

If a blu ray works on that input and the recvr doesn't, then that pretty much isolates it to the recvr, probably a bad output.

OK, so your really only dealing with trying to set up the New TV...

Then everything should have worked originally, the dish is aligned as we know, because you had picture.
The connection between the recvr and the TV must be bad.

You have swapped HDMI cables ?
Have you tried the recvr ion a different HDMI input, most new TV's have more than one, it could be bad.

Do you have a Blu ray or another device that works on HDMI that you can hook up to the TV on that input and see if you have signal ?

If a blu ray works on that input and the recvr doesn't, then that pretty much isolates it to the recvr, probably a bad output.

Yeah, I have tried new HDMI cables, other devices work fine with new TV. Receiver must be screwed up.

Yeah, I have tried new HDMI cables, other devices work fine with new TV. Receiver must be screwed up.

Fwiw, till you get the replacement recvr, I would check the Component connection and see if that will work for you.
At least this way you can use the recvr.

I have tried to get it working from scratch on the new system. I went through all the settings and disabled all inputs except HDMI and that didn't work either.

I wasn't asking you to disable other inputs, just HDMI auto sense, if the TV allows it to be turned off/on. It doesn't make sense that the HDMI on your old TV would be powering the LNB at all. I'd forget that notion, I think. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that is at all possible. I would first try setting the new TV to HDMI 1 input, then shut it off. With the receiver off and the new TV off, hook the receiver to the NEW TV ONLY, via HDMI 1 port and then turn on the TV first and then the receiver and see if it works, if you haven't already done this. Unplugging the receiver and letting it cold boot might also be a good idea to try.

It really seems like your problem is probably just a simple setting in the new TV or your receiver. You've probably already said it somewhere in this thread, but, what model is your receiver?

If you haven’t already tried this, run a HR21 system test with your old TV so you can see the results. Also, under settings - sat and antenna - repeat satellite setup.

I didn’t have to do a channel scan with my 2012 Panasonic plasma, however, reading your manual, and I’m assuming you’ve already done this, but just in case you didn't, under getting started, with HDMI connect to your new TV, run initial channel scan on your new TV. I said in my post yesterday that this shouldn’t be necessary but it looks like with this TV it is. My manual says if I’m using cable or satellite to skip this process, yours does not.

Interesting discussion.
I've read/heard of hdmi handshaking issues but generally with certain brand/model TV's. Strange you've had the problem on 2 different, but newer models. Have you tried having the newer tv ON before plugging in the H21? and/or the opposite, e.i. having the H21 ON before plugging in the HDMI cable and turning on the TV?
I use my HR22 at our cabin and never had a problem with a newer Samsung. Since it takes awhile to reboot I generally hook up the HR22 and don't turn on the set for 5-10 mins.
Hope you get it figured out!

Here is an idea. If I am reading your posts correctly, you can run HDMI out of the receiver to your old TV, and run component from the receiver to your new TV and get a picture on both. But if you unplug the HDMI cable connected to your old TV, you lose the picture on the new TV. Have you tried running both the HDMI and the component from the receiver to the new TV simultaneously? As ridiculous as that sounds, it isn’t any more so than what is currently going on. Don’t forget to toggle, slowly, through the inputs. Inputs can take a few seconds to respond.

Last edited:
Have you checked to make sure that the dish is properly bonded to Earth ground, and also the static block where the line enters the home is properly bonded to Earthing ground. This whole incident can be caused by a poorly grounded system to the Earthing ground. The same ground rod that your Meter or Main Panel is bonded to, should also be the same point that your dish should be bonded to.

I try to always use the ground rod for any telcommunications, catv or satellite coming into a structure, since it will also be bonded to the electrical feed coming into the home. Now of course, if you have one of the older Single phase electrical systems, that the ground is used as return path, then you can end up with poor Earthing bond for any communications systems, which in turn when you disconnect say hdmi, coax, Component or Composite line from receiver to a tv, you can cause problems.

See this a lot with computer systems, that when you disconnect the Ethernet line or monitor to the unit, it causes the system to reboot, because it looses the ground between the two.

And yes, a bad receiver can also be the cause of this, even if you have gone through and checked all system grounds, and they check out that they are in order, then the last thing to look at is the satellite receiver as a possible culprit.

Here is an idea. If I am reading your posts correctly, you can run HDMI out of the receiver to your old TV, and run component from the receiver to your new TV and get a picture on both. But if you unplug the HDMI cable connected to your old TV, you lose the picture on the new TV. Have you tried running both the HDMI and the component from the receiver to the new TV simultaneously? As ridiculous as that sounds, it isn’t any more so than what is currently going on. Don’t forget to toggle, slowly, through the inputs. Inputs can take a few seconds to respond.

It's not crazy, I actually did this but with no success.

Update to all instead of replying to all.

Still not working and what I have to tell you is leaving everyone baffled.

After doing everything we all discussed I decided to purchase a SWM LNB and use my father in laws H25 and would you believe that I get the exact same results. Works with the old TV but on the new 771 and 0 signal on all sats. As soon as I plug it back into the LG 27 inch I get 99 and 100's across the board.

So I have gone from Slimline 3, multiswitch (but single wire) SWM 3S, SWM and get exactly the same results. The only thing I have not done is run a new wire to the LNB but really, it works on the old TV with either receiver so shouldn't have to run a new one, but will for argument sake.

So now, I went through all settings on the receivers and the TV just in case by chance I missed something. But no,

The only thing i did notice is after the Sat test if I look at the sat check marks, I get on 101, X for even and OK for odd, both OK for 110 and for 119 OK for even and X for odd. Was going to look up how those sats were being used to see if that's normal.

Update to all instead of replying to all.

Still not working and what I have to tell you is leaving everyone baffled.

After doing everything we all discussed I decided to purchase a SWM LNB and use my father in laws H25 and would you believe that I get the exact same results. Works with the old TV but on the new 771 and 0 signal on all sats. As soon as I plug it back into the LG 27 inch I get 99 and 100's across the board.

So I have gone from Slimline 3, multiswitch (but single wire) SWM 3S, SWM and get exactly the same results. The only thing I have not done is run a new wire to the LNB but really, it works on the old TV with either receiver so shouldn't have to run a new one, but will for argument sake.

So now, I went through all settings on the receivers and the TV just in case by chance I missed something. But no,

The only thing i did notice is after the Sat test if I look at the sat check marks, I get on 101, X for even and OK for odd, both OK for 110 and for 119 OK for even and X for odd. Was going to look up how those sats were being used to see if that's normal.

Wait a minute, isn't this Satellite pointing at and old setup? I still get all the channels including NFL Sunday ticket but I swear these are old Sats, anyone???? But if I switch the old LNB to Slim5, it sees 5 but has errors. I will add my pointing for zip 34449 is 220.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)