Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

Gads, would be nice to have a non-emotional discussion about this.

I'm looking at all my options, not just D*...and thats part of my point, Dish isn't looking like it has as much price advantage as in the past.

And for the prices I listed, I reject your premise of there being a difference in # of HD channels... For comparison, I just did VERY quick jot of the channels for comparison(sorry the column spacing got removed)
Code:
Dish Silver+Platinum	vs Direct Ultra
AE	AE
	ABCFam
	AMC
APL	APL
Bravo	Bravo
CBSS	CBSS
CMT	CMT
CN	CN
CNBC	CNBC
CNN	CNN
ComC	ComC
DISC	DISC
	DXD
ENC	ENC
EPIX	
EPIX2	
ESPN	ESPN
ESPN2	ESPN2
	ESPN3D
	ESPNU
FOOD	FOOD
	FX
HDNET	HDNET
HDNET Movies	
HGTV	HGTV
HIST	HIST
IndiePlex	
LFT	LFT
MGM	
MSNBC	MSNBC
	NBCSports
	Ngeo
	NICK
Palladia	
Retro	
	SCI
	SPEED
Spike	Spike
Starz	
Sundance	
syfy	Syfy
TBS	TBS
TLC	TLC
	TMC
TNT	TNT
TWC	TWC
Universal	
USA	USA
WGN	WGN
37	39

I took the liberty of excluding any channel the wife and I just absolutely never watch... you can argue up/down a few channels.. by my count D* has a small edge :) (tho we don't have a 3DTV so you can probably cross off ESPN3D) but the basic point is that these 2 pkgs are pretty comparable. If it wasn't I wouldn't even bother. In previous years I've been able to justify a definite price advantage to staying with Dish. I no longer find myself able to do that.
So where is the Directv (D*) list? All I see is dish (E*). Sorry if I'm missing something but everything is under Dish & Silver + Platinum. You might want to be sure cause if your right hand column is Directv some the channels you have listed are on E* in HD when D* just carries them in SD. You might want to go to AVS forum and see their comparison chart from 11-19-11 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081. I think that will help you with you decision. They have a zip file that if you log in as member you can download that give the comparison of all providers that their members have compiled. It's pretty darn good. Just trying to help you I have nothing to say as far as a reason for you to go or stay.

Last edited:
Left column is Dish, right column is Direct. (ie. see how it says TNT TNT)

Not saying I didn't make any (minor) mistakes. Again, my point is that they are roughly comparable at the package level I am exploring (ie. Silver+Platinum vs. Choice ultra)

EDIT: added BOLD .... I'm not debating who has more total HD channels.. I'm never going to be a customer to any package that has all the HD (at least not since Absolute when bye-bye)

If it fits your needs and you like what they have then go for it. I hope that you will like it if you sign up w/ D*. Just keep comparing and make sure that it is what fits you, due to fact that you will need to stay for 2 yrs or incur an ETF.

If it fits your needs and you like what they have then go for it. I hope that you will like it if you sign up w/ D*. Just keep comparing and make sure that it is what fits you, due to fact that you will need to stay for 2 yrs or incur an ETF.

Agreed. Definitely trying to do the research first.. comparing the 2 SAT options and the more local cable/uverse options. As I said, up til now, I could easily look at my bill, then look around, and realize I'd be foolish to switch.. Dish offered a clear $$ advantage... not so much anymore :(

I have gotten a good chuckle from the "Get rid of cable, don't get angry" commercials from D* during the bowl games :)

Paid my last discounted bill today, this billing cycle is the last of the absolute credits. :( Bill will be going up $10, also losing platinum & starz. Time to reevaluate & see how Much $ TV is really worth to us. Thinking seriously of downgrading to the family plan & utilizing the internet for more of what we like to watch.

Paid my last discounted bill today, this billing cycle is the last of the absolute credits. :( Bill will be going up $10, also losing platinum & starz. Time to reevaluate & see how Much $ TV is really worth to us. Thinking seriously of downgrading to the family plan & utilizing the internet for more of what we like to watch.

There is also the Welcome Pack. (If you click on "Channel," it will put the list in channel number order.) The Welcome Pack is $14.99/month while Dish Family is $24.99/month. I say this because there may be other channels in one package (such as Dish Family) that you want that are not in the other (such as the Welcome Pack). Also, the packs allow you to add some a la carte programming. For example, Encore Movie Pack ($5/month for Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore West, Encore Love, Encore Suspense, Encore Westerns, and MoviePlex) [Note: Encore East and Encore Family are not in the Encore Movie Pack.] could be added or some other a la carte programming. However, some a la carte options may require a minimum package (unfortunately in my opinion...I also think it is silly for Dish to do because they could make more money....although I guess they look at it that if you really want a channel you will pay a larger amount of money per month). A downside to some may be that there is not an HD-add on (no $10 or/and HD Free for Life) for these packs; however, locals in HD (if available from Dish in your area) would be there.

Additional options that some may not think about are the DishLatino packs as some have English programming. The "higher-end" packs from Dish Latino such as Dish Latino Dos (currently $44.99/mo.) and Dish Latino Max (currently $57.99/mo.) are eligible for the HD for Life promo.

Other packs that may be worth considering for some are the "HD Only" Dish America packs. Dish America is the lowest at $34.99/month followed by Dish America Silver for $49.99/month. The highest is Dish America Gold at $59.99/month. In my opinion, Dish America's price seems reasonable for a low pack, but I do not think that Dish America Silver and Dish America Gold are as reasonable unless those are the only channels that you really watch in those packs. I think what justifies my reasoning well is this channel line-up card:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/DISHamericaChannelGuide.pdf

The Channel Line-up Cards are also located here: DISH TV Guide Schedule & Satellite TV Channels List - DISH Network

Best of luck to you....Let us know what you decide and how it goes. I hope this helps. :)

Does anyone know of any streaming service (other than iTunes) with the Bravo shows? Its the one requirement from the wife keeping us up in the "middle" tier for Dish (Direct has Bravo in their bottom tier).. if we could drop to the lower Dish tier and even pay (Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc) to see the current Bravo lineup, she'd be happy and it would be a net improvement for the budget, but I can only find the _current_ season of shows in iTunes, no where else.

Does anyone know of any streaming service (other than iTunes) with the Bravo shows? Its the one requirement from the wife keeping us up in the "middle" tier for Dish (Direct has Bravo in their bottom tier).. if we could drop to the lower Dish tier and even pay (Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc) to see the current Bravo lineup, she'd be happy and it would be a net improvement for the budget, but I can only find the _current_ season of shows in iTunes, no where else.

We currently have Dish Latino Dos ($44.99/month) with HD for Life, and it has Bravo SD and HD in it. I think that is the cheapest package Bravo is in with Dish. Otherwise, it is in America's Top 200 ($59.99/month). If Bravo is the only requirement, then I think that a $15/month a difference will be nice. In addition, Dish Latino Max ($57.99/month) also includes Bravo SD and HD, and it is $2/month cheaper than America's Top 200 but $13/month higher than Dish Latino Dos. However, please make sure to compare both lists as English programming in the Dish Latino packs and America's Top packs differ. For example, in the Dish Latino packs, some English channels in America's Top 250 may be in it while some English channels in America's Top 120 may not. So, that is something I usually tell those switching to keep in mind, and sometimes some may like the English programming in the Dish Latino packs rather than the America's Top packs. It is all what you want in terms of channels that you "need" (not that I am being rude to you or your wife....I just figured that someone would say that it is not really a need but a want...However, I think it is important to have some type of setup and programming that you actually would have or/and use) to live with. I also should mention that Bravo is in the "HD only" pack (I use the quotes since some on the forum have mentioned that SD simulcasts are included with the HD channels.) Dish America Silver for $49.99/month. However, I am not a huge fan of these "HD only" packs unless you really want just the channels in them (which some people do....However, that is not my decision but yours and whoever else helps pay the bills and such :)) It is $10/month less than America's Top 200. Dish America Gold would also have Bravo SD and HD, and it is $59.99/month. However, this is the same price as America's Top 200.

I am sure that many are being "tricked" by DirecTV's advertising of their lowest tiers when comparing them to Dish's in terms of channel selection alone rather than along with price, and no, I am not trying to cause a DirecTV v. Dish thread. In terms of base programming, I believe that Dish is cheaper. As far as I know (unless there is some other secret package besides Family and Select), DirecTV has Bravo in the Choice package which is currently $60.99 (at least last time I checked and before the upcoming February increases...hopefully Dish does not do the same with increases). With Dish, a 2 TV Duo receiver is covered in the base programming price while DirecTV only has one receiver currently per TV and additional ones cost $6/month. Additional solos from Dish may cost $7/month, and additional Duos may cost $14/month unless you have a DuoDVR which I believe is $17/month for additional ones. Therefore, each situation can turn unique especially with programming and equipment wants. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
We actually have Silver now... only reason we don't have Bronze is Bravo.... and just b/c I couldn't marry anyone sane... not only do we have to have Bravo for her, we also have to have the ESPNs for basketball.. and from what I see, you have to bump up really high in the Latino packs to get all the ESPNs... so now we're back to where Direct doesn't look so bad after all, and running all the #'s over the next 2 years, its really pretty close (the 1st year discounts with Direct are the only thing that make it close). Looks to be not a very clear choice. If I could find Bravo on streaming, I would drop down to America Bronze and use the $15/savings to cover the streaming, but prefer not to get an AppleTV (sticking with GoogleTV for now). Shrug. I've looked at the Dish ch lineups pretty hard, don't see any better option for us at this point (oh if we only had a la carte.. but that's another thread :) )

dunno.. maybe after basketball is over we can switch and give Dos a try.. how often can you switch pkgs without penalty?

My contract is up since June 2011 and I was keeping it running as I had free Starz, Platinum Package, 3 months off HBO/Showtime/Cinemax, agent credits and so every few months. Now as it is all gone, I'm staying with everything package + platinum + internationals. 3 Receivers at home, all of them are in great condition and don't need change, as both of them have been replaced to 211 thanks to DIRT member and this is ok for me. I don't have DVR and dont need it, but I can also add eHD, pay 40$ and have free DVR.

Next month I need to decide if I stay with Dish or not, as I have my building prewired with Verizon Fios and Time Warner Cable. I can also get DirecTV. Best deal now has Verizon Fios for me now, as I can get whole package with Internet and phone.

Does Dish gives any discounted programming if someone wants to renew their commitment/contract ? I don't need new equipment. Receivers recently exchanged and I got new dish installation 3 weeks ago thanks to moving international channels to new position.

I'm exploring all of my options right now. I just upgraded my internet to 8 Mbps, started a 30 day trial with Netflix, and getting ready to start a trial with Hulu Plus. The wife and I are exploring just exactly what our "must haves" are. I suppose that by the beginning of February, we'll have a good handle on what we're willing to pay for.

When February gets here, my bill jumps to around $90 with tax. We are thinking seriously about stripping Dish down to bare bones to keep our locals and archived stuff, and getting our entertainment from Netflix and/or Hulu Plus. I love our Dish service, but think the cost of packages and fees are getting a bit out of hand. :)

edit: also gonna run a 50 ft d-sub from my pc to the tv to compensate what hulu plus lacks.
Well, I did it. Speedy-G switched me to Welcome Pack last night. Thanks Matt. It's gonna be different.:cool:

Well that didn't last long. Mr. Matt had to bump me up to AT120. I guess I can live with that. I AM hating the loss of NATGEO though.

My turn comes soon. New bill gets generated on the 28th.

Currently in Latino Max, which is best and cheapest package with the channels we watch.(ESPNs, NatGEO) I wish ESPN was in Latino DOS!!! Would go there in a heartbeat.

Will drop Platinum, and definitely Starz and just keep the core with a 622 and 211k.

Would like to go lower, but there's no package out there that would fit....so far.....we will see.....we might just have to...

been contemplating this for a long time. after breaking it down, the lowest that will work is AT120 + Encore (currently at AT250).

In the end, it will only save $20/mo. NOT worth it for the amount of channels we lose.

really wish Dish would give us long time customers some of that promotional pricing.