Losing Voom

Scuba,

VOOM never sees a dime of that money. It never leaves your account. It's just on hold so you can't spend it. The hold period will depend on your bank; for some banks, it may be a few hours or less. I'm not entirely clear why VOOM does it, or whether they do it for all customers -- perhaps it is to verify that lease customers have the ability to pay for the next month. Or perhaps it's only done for customers with a flags in their credit report. We don't know.

Ken F said:
Scuba,

VOOM never sees a dime of that money. It never leaves your account. It's just on hold so you can't spend it. The hold period will depend on your bank; for some banks, it may be a few hours or less. I'm not entirely clear why VOOM does it, or whether they do it for all customers -- perhaps it is to verify that lease customers have the ability to pay for the next month. Or perhaps it's only done for customers with a flags in their credit report. We don't know.

Ken,

It sure is strange, isn't it!

Even if it is only on "hold", one cannot spend it's own money. :rolleyes:

They really CANNOT verify that one can pay for the next month at the beginning of the previous month.

rexoverbey said:
I haven't heard of any other company doing this before. Is it even legal?

Of course it's legal. Like we've all said already, if you don't like it, move along. Instead, it seems you are trolling-up other legitimate threads, such as the TNT HD thread.

rexoverbey said:
Unless Voom takes extra out and causes an overdraft

Don't want to come across as an ass, but anyone that has recurring charges to their checking account and doesn't have sufficient funds in the account, or just enough that if anything weird happens the check bounces, is living beyond their means.

Don't want to come across as an ass, but anyone that has recurring charges to their checking account and doesn't have sufficient funds in the account, or just enough that if anything weird happens the check bounces, is living beyond their means.
How do you know? I was just saying that to n0qcu because he said he bounced a check. I know a lot of people (including myself) who leave just enough to pay bills in the checking, and put money aside in savings. I have a few thousand in savings but not in my checking.

rexoverbey said:
No one said you had to come in here.

Everyone needs to chill. Take to heart the words below:

"No opinion is too extreme if it's in the pursuit of truth."--Phillip Swann

A great quote from a great man.
:)

Well, fortunatly nothing actually 'bounced' just that with the double charge (which was also higher than normal due to changing packages) there wasn't enough "available" funds left. So my bank then charges the stupid fee. As far as actual funds go there was enough. That should have you confused, it did me.

Well, fortunatly nothing actually 'bounced' just that with the double charge (which was also higher than normal due to changing packages) there wasn't enough "available" funds left. So my bank then charges the stupid fee. As far as actual funds go there was enough. That should have you confused, it did me

I guess I should of said screwed up checking, instead of bounced check.

rexoverbey said:
Cable companies don't require a contract, dish network now offeres a no contract. On top of that you get the hd receiver for free.
cable companies can easily show up at your door too. Voom cant. Most cable HD services are garbage, few HD locals and no OTA tuner to get the ones you dont have. and 100 analog channels here. No one would steal that anyway.

I had this same thing happen to me, voom didn't charge me for the first month, i have 2 boxes on lease with the vavavoom $110 a month. the next thing i know there are two charges on my account for $220 each, thats $440 dollars. needless to say i was upset and called voom to find out whats going on. they basically said thats the way it is if i use a check card and it could take upto a couple weeks to clear off. they then offered to schedule a un-install date. this was a manager as i refused to talk to the csr. this was the most unpleasant situation i have ever been through with any company. i then called my bank and told them to do a charge back, they knew i wasn't happy about this and i'm sure they contacted voom because the next day it was removed. if it wasn't for the programming i would have told them to stick their box up their ass.
just my own experience. and i do have credit cards.
muncey

Along the lines of the check/debit card issues.
These problems are bank specific. My old bank, and I emphasize old, would let these 'holds' remain for 5, 7, or 10 days. There was no consistent period of time, ever. Typically this isn't a big deal. The one time it was a big deal was on vacation. I used the check card to secure the hotel room since I was planning on paying with the check card. BIG mistake. Hotels initiate a hold to verify the funds are there and then release the hold, at least this hotel did. Well, three days into the vacation-NO MONEY. Called the bank and found out the 'hold' was still in effect even after the hotel had released it. Was told that it typically takes a few days after the 'hold' is released by whom ever has initiated it for the funds to become available from the bank. Because of this issue and another I no longer bank with Bank of America.

Anyone having problems with the 'hold' lasting long enough to cause trouble either needs a new, customer friendly, bank or needs to use a credit card and just pay it back within the grace period (period of time when no interest is accrued).

I just signed up for Dish networks' hd deal. Will be installed the beginning of next month. Finally get Tech TV, Sci-fi, and TNT HD!

rexoverbey said:
I just signed up for Dish networks' hd deal. Will be installed the beginning of next month. Finally get Tech TV, Sci-fi, and TNT HD!

Excellent! Move on rex. Start bitching on the E* forum.

rexoverbey said:

Good luck. I hope you did not lock yourself into a year commitment. Keep your options open.

Had OTA last night

VOOM Has A New Distributor! $500 Rebate on HDTV's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)