Loss of signal problem

bobt

Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
montana
I have had a super dish and 322 receiver for 3-4 years and it has worked okay until lately. When I turn on the satellite no TV, I get the error message "Problem detected with your connections" , etc, it starts doing switch check, then I get a message like "If there is bad weather try again later." I have found that if I turn the receiver off and on several times, then I will get picture and sound. At first just TV 1 was doing it, now TV2 is doing it also, but not as bad, but getting worse. When the system was first installed, the "tech" did not put the gooey black stuff on the coax connections and I blew out 3 receivers before someone else from Dish figured out what was wrong. Water getting in the lines and shorting out the receiver. So any ideas on what to look do/look for? I would like to pull all of the coax connections apart on the dish/switch and clean them good for starters, can you get the black gooey stuff someplace or what else to use. I am in Montana, so the system is subject to rain, snow, etc. and I don't want to start blowing up receivers again. Would like to get it fixed before winter sets in again. Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Bob

Run a new piece of coax straight from the receiver to the dish. It sounds like a bad cable. I had a customer with the same problem and new cable fixed it. I did try a separator first but that didn't help. Try a temp cable first before going to the trouble of routing it like the old one. Just run it out the window for testing. Good luck.

bad separator most likely.

?? A superdish usually runs to a 34 switch meaning NO Separator. a 322 would have 2 lines run to it. @ the OP: Im not sure what black gooey stuff you're referring to but if its the rubber boots that go on the connectors, in Michigan we dont even use them anymore, infact its been found they collect water. All the connectors should be wrench tight at the very least.

You might want to call Dish and get a Tech out for a possible re-build.

I agree with Midas however. Run a couple "dummy" lines from the switch to your receiever and see if that fixes it.

Good advice already mentioned. Just be careful about wrench-tightening so as not to break a fitting. If running test lines don't work, it could be line of sight. Trees, vines, etc may have blocked signal. Could be a bad LNB- "eyes' of the dish. Could be alignment-check for loose bolts, etc. First try the test lines, though.