Lost signal over course of a week

montana16

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2015
Rochester
Hello all. I have lost lnb signal over the course of a week.

10 ft fiberglass dish with polar mount
Cheap old LNB for $20
ASC1 dish mover
connected to
TBS 6982 dual DVBS tuner

The steps I have taken:
1) I have went out there and loosened bolts and moved dish around trying to find a signal using cheap old inline meter. Nothing found! I had a 22hz switch inline but no longer need so I pulled it out and connected the joint.

2) The meter lights up which tells me there is some power to the lnb...not sure how to test if full 13/18v is getting to lnb??? Don't know how to test if meter is even working correctly.

3) Ordered a replacement C1-PLL from Titanium. Before I installed I cut the rg-6 and put new end on rg-6 cable that connects to lnb. I marked the skew but didn't know if the location of the f connector made a difference as the C1-PLL has the connection to the right but the old lnb had it on the left. The markings on the lnb made me think this does not matter. Anyway after I installed the new lnb, I still have no signal and I went through the the same steps as line 1 to find no signal. Weird thing I noticed was the cheap old signal meter reads nothing when inline and powered but I turn off power and meter pegs right out!?!?!

4) I am headed to store to pick up 100' of rg-6 and going to run from lnb directly to asc1. If no luck then directly to TBS 6982.

FYI... the asc1 still moves the dish without any issues.
Leading up the the loss of power, it had been windy and raining a lot. Pole does seem to possibly lean but haven't officially checked. The other thing I noticed is the threaded rod that the height adjustment is on is not straight. As I try to raise the dish, it is binding and cannot raise it more. Trying to figure out what is going on there. I will try to post some pictures to clarify.

Just wondering if anyone had any tips they possibly could give me to aid in troubleshooting?

Thanks.

Is your CAP still over the front of your lnb, or cracked? If not, look up in there and remove the wasp nest that's blocking everything.

Be CAREFUL not to bend the antenna probes inside there.

I have tried everything I can think of.
I am pointing dish manually and checking elevation with angle finder right on mast of lnb. Right on for satellite 101w.
Moving dish from side to side but getting only signal on little cheapo inline meter. It is not showing in DVBDream or crazyscan which is odd.
I got new cable and ran directly to TBS6982 from lnb. No signal. Even pulled out old viewsat xtreme to see if card was bad but getting same result. I cannot figure it out. I am at wits end. I do not have the time and energy to keep screwing with it. I am thinking the lnb I ordered is a dud. I wish there was an easy way to test lnb. Anyway I think it is time to move on. Thanks for all the help over the years. Maybe try again someday.

If any part of your pole isn’t vertical your elevation is going to be screwed up. You have indicated binding and your threaded rod is off as well. Fix those issues. Regardless what your elevation is telling you your not aimed at the satellite.

After doing as Arion says above, try EBSpro, it's like Crazyscan but it also has an app you can load on your smartphone and check the readings as you move the dish. 4140 H 29268 3/4 is a good TP for 101w. You'll need to set it up though.
That is assuming you have a windoze box you are watching on and network connected.
I use it all the time to fine-tune my dish antennas. I have the 6903 card which is similar.

After digging up pole, replumbing and basically starting from scratch, I am back up and running. Tracking the arc from 89w to 133w. LNB from Titanium was fine. In fact, everything is working. Even TBS card and ASC1. I doubted that doing all that would make a difference but it did. Thanks to all who pushed me in that direction! Do not under estimate the knowledge in the forum. They have seen it before!

I did however do something stupid. After finally getting 101w signal locked, I left the crescent wrench on the polar mount and it was stopping the actuator from moving the dish. It seems to still work though. What kind of damage can jamming the dish from being moved? I suspect something might have stripped out a little. I was tracking arc from 101w to 133w. So going down to the horizon everything worked fine but when I tried to go back to 101w, I could not. That's when I found wrench. I was able to track 103w so maybe no damage. Cross my fingers.

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)