Loud Pop and Scratches

4me2no

Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Good day
I have my satellite HD receiver connected to my AV 7.1 surround digital dolby TX-SR603X Onkyo receiver with an optical cable for sound output. Once or twice a day I will get small little microwave sounds like tweaks and hisses , scratches and a loud POP, before the sound cut off completely or a hisses will continue till I have to reset the AV receiver, sometimes 3 to 5 times before the sound of the program I was watching come back to normal. Just wondering if anyone else having such problem.
Thank you, Cheers

Good day
I have my satellite HD receiver connected to my AV 7.1 surround digital dolby TX-SR603X Onkyo receiver with an optical cable for sound output. Once or twice a day I will get small little microwave sounds like tweaks and hisses , scratches and a loud POP, before the sound cut off completely or a hisses will continue till I have to reset the AV receiver, sometimes 3 to 5 times before the sound of the program I was watching come back to normal. Just wondering if anyone else having such problem.
Thank you, Cheers

This may be a problem with the Onkyo. I have noticed something similar with my 605 when auto switching from PL2 to dolby digital I will sometimes get a loud pop before it settles in. I have noticed this mostly from my BluRay player (Panny BD60), but have heard it on occassion from my Motorola cable box as well.

This may be a problem with the Onkyo. I have noticed something similar with my 605 when auto switching from PL2 to dolby digital I will sometimes get a loud pop before it settles in. I have noticed this mostly from my BluRay player (Panny BD60), but have heard it on occassion from my Motorola cable box as well.

Have you updated the DSP'S firmware?

S~

Thanks for the reply teachsac
The microwave noises and hisses and a huge pop happen twice while watching the ball game last evening, it scares the hoot out of me everytime it happens and it is so loud, it's not a good thing for the speakers.
I'm going to keep troubleshooting this intermittent problem by connecting from the HDMI output of my HD satellite receiver to my HD Samsung TV HDMI input to bypass the Onkyo receiver, that way I'll be able to eliminate one of the components which causses the probleme, either the Onkyo receiver or the satellite receiver that could be putting out low level signals that could cause a pop.
Let you know what happens.
Cheers

Thanks for the reply teachsac
The microwave noises and hisses and a huge pop happen twice while watching the ball game last evening, it scares the hoot out of me everytime it happens and it is so loud, it's not a good thing for the speakers.
I'm going to keep troubleshooting this intermittent problem by connecting from the HDMI output of my HD satellite receiver to my HD Samsung TV HDMI input to bypass the Onkyo receiver, that way I'll be able to eliminate one of the components which causses the probleme, either the Onkyo receiver or the satellite receiver that could be putting out low level signals that could cause a pop.
Let you know what happens.
Cheers

Also, try to keep an eye on what is going on when it happens. I have noticed that mine occurs when the autoselect is changing surround modes to Dolby Digital.

If you can figure that out, you may be able to eliminate it by changing the type of source delivered. For example, doing the decoding inside the player or receiver and forcing 5 channel PCM over the HDMI.

It would be a shame to lose the advanced codecs entirely over this issue.

Oh, never mind. I forgot you were using a 603 without HDMI. Since the optical will probably only be PCM, none of what I suggested will apply. Sorry.

I bought it refurbed. According to the website, the unit shipped with the update installed.

But... Thanks. I hadn't considered that.

Many times they'll update firmware, but the DSP's firmware is separate. Check the DSP version. It should be 08214A if it is updated.

S~

Many times they'll update firmware, but the DSP's firmware is separate. Check the DSP version. It should be 08214A if it is updated.

S~

Good to know. However, none of this stuff is downloadable by the ned user, right? So I would need to ship the unit back to Onkyo and wait a month. For me, the problem isn't that bad, but it might be a solution for the OP.

4me2know, I would contact Onkyo service and let them walk you through the procedures and see if they have a fix.

Good to know. However, none of this stuff is downloadable by the ned user, right? So I would need to ship the unit back to Onkyo and wait a month. For me, the problem isn't that bad, but it might be a solution for the OP.

4me2know, I would contact Onkyo service and let them walk you through the procedures and see if they have a fix.

Nope. I have the DSP update for the xx5 Onkyo's and Integra's with the instructions. I don't have xx3's. I don't know if they even came out with a DSP update. Let me know if you need them. I've passed it on to a few members here. It's really easy and all you need is to burn a CD.

S~