Low-quality OTA tuner in the voom?

mandevu

Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
I just recently got voom. There is a channel here in the LA market that is supposed to live on 66-1 (kcop). When I check strength for channel 66 on the voom, I get 95+. (I'm not using any combiner. Straight from the antenna to the UHF input.)
When I run the channel scanner, it finds all the other LA locals, but just sits on channel 66 for 10 seconds, then moves on without adding KCOP.
I borrowed a buddy's Samsung OTA tuner and hooked it up to my antenna. That found 66-1 with no problems.
Anybody else had bad luck with Voom's OTA performance?

I've often wondered exactly what level of technology the Voom OTA-tuner uses. There is a new tuner out this fall from Zenith that is supposed to be 30% better than previous generation. I hope new STB Voom is giving out this fall will include this.

mandevu said:
I just recently got voom. There is a channel here in the LA market that is supposed to live on 66-1 (kcop). When I check strength for channel 66 on the voom, I get 95+. (I'm not using any combiner. Straight from the antenna to the UHF input.)
When I run the channel scanner, it finds all the other LA locals, but just sits on channel 66 for 10 seconds, then moves on without adding KCOP.
I borrowed a buddy's Samsung OTA tuner and hooked it up to my antenna. That found 66-1 with no problems.

Do you know if the station is passing the PSIP information for this channel. Otherwise the scanning software will not pick it up.

rkr0923 said:
yeah.......it Sucks

Man, instead of adding nothing to the discussion can you be more helpful. Being you have been here for a long time, I would suspect that you know already about the PSIP requirement of the Scanning Function and give more helpful instructions than "it Sucks".

The OTA Module is fine, but as Sean noted there are some problems with the Voom firmware. Give it a little time since this is the first release incorporating the OTA Scanning feature...plus, VOOM is the only Sat provider integrating locals into the PG.

If you guys think Voom OTA tuner id bad, look at dish 811 OTA tuner :)

riffjim4069 said:
The OTA Module is fine, but as Sean noted there are some problems with the Voom firmware. Give it a little time since this is the first release incorporating the OTA Scanning feature...plus, VOOM is the only Sat provider integrating locals into the PG.
I thought D* integrated my locals. Yes they did you punch in your zipcode. Its been awhile, or maybe my memory is fading. LMAO

Actually as Don pointed out on this post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=23588&page=3&pp=15

However, there is another part of the PSIP conflict that is regulated and could cause many stations who are not using it now to be in violation. This is the part of PSIP that sets the descriptor for Closed Caption. If a station is not in compliance with the Closed Caption regulation on their ATSC channel they could be fined. Interestingly, the system to set these descriptors is PSIP. I believe a technical loophole to forcing your local station to implement PSIP as stated in the subset standard would be to report the station for a violation of the CC regulations. Their recoarse after paying the fine would be to implement PSIP. Mission accomplished!

You need to call the engineers at that station and asked them why they are not passing the PSIP data. I had a conversation with Dan~Digital and he was able to find out that this PSIP data resides in a computer that could be easily programmed to pass the data. If the station engieneers say that they are, indeed, passing the PSIP data, ask them to reboot the computer because something is wrong in getting the information in the stream that they are sending. You may want to tell them as Don pointed out that they are in non-compliant with the Closed Caption regulation on their ATSC channel.

Let us know what happens.

Sean Mota said:
Man, instead of adding nothing to the discussion can you be more helpful. Being you have been here for a long time, I would suspect that you know already about the PSIP requirement of the Scanning Function and give more helpful instructions than "it Sucks".
I think the OTA scanning feature and the tuner works fine. A great improvement and it should stop a lot of the subs from cancelling now. I do want an audible signal strength meter like D*'s e86, pleaseeeeeeeeee. It would make aiming the antenna in my attic a one man operation instead of 2. Guess I am just lazy, but these features have already been perfected by Hughes. Now go steal the code and modify it. LMAO

Just a quick note, I sent e-mails to all my locals as none seem to be using PSIP at this point. I just wanted confirmation that I was correct in assuming that they do not use PSIP yet-------This is ABC's response, the only one to get back to me yet

"Your gear is correct. We do not run any PSIP at this point. Something else we'll be getting into this next year. James"

So anyone who assumes that these channels "have to have some sort of PSIP" are incorrect. As this station engineer confirmed he does not run ANY PSIP

JaydeeD,

if you hard press them about compliance with FCC rule and Closed Captioning, they will add the PSIP data. You have to approach it from the Closed Captioning point of view since it is in the same stream.

mandevu said:

KCOP is on channel 13. I have Voom and DTV and neither box pulls 66.1 on scanning.

I do not see 66.1 listed on antennaweb.org here:http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Call KCOP and talk to the station engineer, this is not a Voom problem.

sorry if the truth hurts
and btw, yes I have local PG with D*tv "All of them"
and yes I get more OTA with the Samsung than with the Moto so I'm speaking from experience

rkr0923 said:
sorry if the truth hurts
and btw, yes I have local PG with D*tv "All of them"
and yes I get more OTA with the Samsung than with the Moto so I'm speaking from experience

Nobody is denying anything here. We all recognized the problem and try to get the solution to the problem. You on the other hand, add nothing whatsoever but your continous "negative" remarks. We are not here to read your continous bickering in every single thread or post that you make. If you have something to add to the discussion, by all means, post but if your statement is going to be "it sucks" stay away.

There's no denying that your precious Samsung is better than the current Motorola STB that VOOM is using. But guess what? The Motorola STB is much better than the 6000u I am using from Dish. I do not go to the Dish Forum and post in every single thread that "it sucks". That's what I am talking about.

Hi:
Maybe since VOOM is requiring the PSIP stream in order to tune to OTA's then they should just use that same stream to get program info for the box. There are not that many digital stations in the country (compared to the number of VOOM subscribers) so rather than map every ZIP code in the country VOOM could have someone call and write to all the stations and remind them that they are required to send the PSIP data stream.
Joseph

all I'm doing is trying to answer some of the people's questions. it may not be what they or you want to hear but I tell it like it is. if I can relate to it and it sucks I let them know. and I have posted a few (very few) postive remarks for Voom.

rkr0923 said:
all I'm doing is trying to answer some of the people's questions. it may not be what they or you want to hear but I tell it like it is. if I can relate to it and it sucks I let them know. and I have posted a few (very few) postive remarks for Voom.

You are still a TROLL!!! I just wish you would leave VOOM and this board.

Jerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts