MAC Book Pro

The 13" mac book pros have dual core i7s; how does that compare with a core 2 duo? I get that it has two cores with an i7 architecture, but the whole nomenclature thing is very confusing (on intel's part). I am guessing a dual core i7 is still faster than a core 2 duo at the same speed; but is it a measurable difference?

rockymtnhigh said:
The 13" mac book pros have dual core i7s; how does that compare with a core 2 duo? I get that it has two cores with an i7 architecture, but the whole nomenclature thing is very confusing (on intel's part). I am guessing a dual core i7 is still faster than a core 2 duo at the same speed; but is it a measurable difference?
I'm surprised this didn't get answered. If you look at the benchmark that Scott ran on his new Mac Book Pro and compare it to mine run on a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo, that should give you an idea of the speed increase available with the Core i7.

Foxbat said:
I'm surprised this didn't get answered. If you look at the benchmark that Scott ran on his new Mac Book Pro and compare it to mine run on a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo, that should give you an idea of the speed increase available with the Core i7.

Yeah, even with just two cores, it should be substantial. When I played the 13" model yesterday it seemed pretty zippy.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, even with just two cores, it should be substantial. When I played the 13" model yesterday it seemed pretty zippy.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

My late 2008 model MacBook 13" is still really zippy of a machine. It was a core 2 duo 2.4GHz model and is still going strong 2.5 years later. Only thing that is killing me right now is the HDD. I think it is time for a Micro Center run to pick up a new HDD in the morning. The 13" form factor is a a great form factor IMO. I will probably will never purchase a machine that is outside of the 13" screen ever again.

My late 2008 model MacBook 13" is still really zippy of a machine. It was a core 2 duo 2.4GHz model and is still going strong 2.5 years later. Only thing that is killing me right now is the HDD. I think it is time for a Micro Center run to pick up a new HDD in the morning. The 13" form factor is a a great form factor IMO. I will probably will never purchase a machine that is outside of the 13" screen ever again.

14" is my absolute outer limit, but 12 - 13 is really perfect.

Gee, and here I thought having a 17" widescreen was great. Now, I didn't do a lot of flying when I had it, and it weighed a ton, but it was a nice screen to look at.

I really like the idea of a 13" Mac Book Air for a travel notebook. When you factor in the SSD (and Apple's naturally-occuring higher price) the 13" MBA isn't priced that outrageously compared to its other Mac Book siblings. The only bad thing I see with the MBA is it comes with the RAM it was built with. There is no option to increase RAM, short of unsoldering hundreds of itsy-bity DRAM chip connections from the motherboard. But when you close the lid and slip it in your bag, it almost disappears.

Samsung looks like they came out with a slimmer notebook than the Air, but it has a noticeable slot that runs along the perimeter of the closed case. I'd need to see one in person to see if it is really as bad as the pictures I've seen makes it out to be. But it's a Core i7 CPU instead of the Mac Book Air's Core 2 Duo, so it costs even more than the Apple. (Wait! There's something wrong about typing that sentence! :))

Yep, that always seems strange when something similar to an Apple laptop comes out higher in price! :)

I have the 11" Air as it fits my needs just fine. Great little laptop and it runs very cool, which is a plus IMO. At home, I just plug it into the big screen for use as an HTPC. Not a great use for it, but it works and if I didn't do this with it, at home it would just sit gathering dust.

Guys, I just stepped over the abyss. The geek in me won out - or at least curiosity killed the cat -- my department just ordered me a 13" 2.7GHz core i7 mac book pro. 4GB of ram, 500GBHDD, added iWork and the DVI adapter. (iWork only because of the iPad with pages, numbers, keynote). Should have it next week, or when I get back from Hawaii. Enough of you have praised it as the best machine you have, so I decided to give it a try. I still have my personal W7 laptop and my Quad core W7 desktop at home, and core duo desktop at the office. (They were going to replace the office desktop with ANOTHER core duo, so this is a lot more computing power.

May God have mercy on my soul.

Subtotal $1,650.00
Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping
Apple MPN : Z0LX

Specifications

2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Superdrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
iWork preinstalled
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook / MacBook Air / 13" MacBook Pro - Auto Enroll
Accessory kit

I found that iWork just didn't cut it professionally, and I ended up ponying out for Office. Might have partially been that I've been using Office since the Word for Windows 1.0 days, but actually, I used the excuse that I was interfacing with other groups using office files and there were compatability issues in some of the more complex documents I was dealing with.

Among other things, I am editor on several IEEE standards. Even with the real Office product, I have had issues. The IEEE now requires a word template that uses macros. The macros tie back to the PC bios and will not run on the Mac.

I found that iWork just didn't cut it professionally, and I ended up ponying out for Office. Might have partially been that I've been using Office since the Word for Windows 1.0 days, but actually, I used the excuse that I was interfacing with other groups using office files and there were compatability issues in some of the more complex documents I was dealing with.

Among other things, I am editor on several IEEE standards. Even with the real Office product, I have had issues. The IEEE now requires a word template that uses macros. The macros tie back to the PC bios and will not run on the Mac.

I'll have Office 2011 too and SPSS 18 and Adobe CS5 -- all through the university site license.

iWork is just so I can easily access the stuff I do on the iPad, not for actual work on a daily basis. It was pretty cheap, and by bundling it, it did not come out of my pocket. My first purchase will be for Parallels, I am sure. :)

Of course with this purchase, part of me thinks I need someone to organize an intervention for me. first the ipad, then a mac book pro. Geez, I'm in trouble, and sinking fast. :)

Of course with this purchase, part of me thinks I need someone to organize an intervention for me. first the ipad, then a mac book pro. Geez, I'm in trouble, and sinking fast. :)

It is too late, they now have you.
The Iphone is next...lol

rockymtnhigh said:
I am open to suggestions for sure. Definitely want to be able to have a few of my windows apps available when I need them. Its not all the time, but occasionally.

Go with fusion, it's just like vmware. :)

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Go with fusion, it's just like vmware. :)

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Cool. I have VMWare on my home machine - was going to actually put up a Snow Leonard VM, but of course I don't have the OS software. should just buy it for $29, but its just another time kill, for no particular reason. :)

Chrome OS netbooks just about here?

New iPhone/iPad Jailbreak out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)