MAJOR Announcement for Android XBMC STB By FridgeFTA: On Satellite Nation April 16th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The announcement was short on details and long on hype. The short version is. The STB we have been waiting for is out. There is something new and better in the pipe. Dual core 1.5ghz processor, 1g ram, on board 8g for apps, micro SD slot, 2.5" Sata HDD slot. It will process Dolby and DTS. Android, XBMC, "Spark 2" OS, very user friendly. Coming this summer, MSRP under $250

Yup that was it... the box he was hyping is now dead and is being replaced by a newer box which is faster, more powerful and does more.

I guess it beats him releasing the box he was working on then a few weeks later releasing a newer faster version. If he did that he would have to change the name of his company to Apple. (Those who purchased iPad 3's know what I am talking about!) :D

And it was not announced whether the new box will do 4:2:2.

In fact, it wasn't even announced whether it will have hardware blind scan -- the one that it's replacing didn't. Hopefully this new one will since it's designed as a satellite box first and a media box second (I think, assuming this from the mention of a "Spark 2" OS... but what then is it doing with Android? Does Spark 2 run as an app under Android?)

"Spark 2"
Reminds me of SunOS UNIX... :) Likely something completely different though, but maybe a different version of Andriod that would have a linux kernal as I think Andriod does... the similarities would end there.

Just listening to the Satguys show now, took three hours to download it this afternoon, interweb is really slow today here. Sounds like an interesting new STB but I suppose I won't make much use of the networking capabilities other than on my LAN.

Spark is the software that the Amiko Alien receivers run. Actually they run Linux, but with some sort of proprietary graphics rather than X11, and most of the satellite stuff handled by a monolithic program rather than the usual Unix-like assortment of drivers.

Just listened to podcast. The concept of a high end Android STB capable of running apps of your choosing including XBMC with OTA HD and FTA capabilities sounds great. Not a lot of specifics released yet with regards to its FTA receiver specs or even which file formats will be supported. For those who haven't used an Android based STB, files/recordings which playback fine on a PC, don't always playback without issues under XBMC (Android). I look forward to seeing release of real specifications. If it lives up to the hype, i'm all in.

Yup that was it... the box he was hyping is now dead and is being replaced by a newer box which is faster, more powerful and does more.

I guess it beats him releasing the box he was working on then a few weeks later releasing a newer faster version. If he did that he would have to change the name of his company to Apple. (Those who purchased iPad 3's know what I am talking about!) :D
Very funny!:happydance:

I was both disapointed and excited with the announcement. I was disappointed as I was hoping he was announcing they were ready and would be available next week. Plus the fact that in my head I was thinking he was throwing away all the work he has been doing on that box had me disappointed to.

Honestly the only one who knows how much better the newly announced box is... is Joe since he was the only one to play with the old box...

But the specs sound great and like that it runs the later versions of Android. I have been waiting a long time waiting for an all in one box that can do FTA, watch my Slingboxes, watch OTA via my HD Homeruns, watch Netflix, listen to SiriusXM and TuneIN Radio... this will be the first box that can do it... and that is what has me excited.

What Joe should have done on the show is done a Ron Popiel and said "If you order my box today I will tell you what I am going to do... I am going to give you a free upgrade to our Deluxe box which is double the speed, has double the CPU Cores and also if you act now we will include Dolby Digital + and New Super DTS sound for FREE!" :D

What Joe should have done on the show is done a Ron Popiel and said "If you order my box today I will tell you what I am going to do... I am going to give you a free upgrade to our Deluxe box which is double the speed, has double the CPU Cores and also if you act now we will include Dolby Digital + and New Super DTS sound for FREE!" :D

....but wait there is more, if you call in the next 10 minutes, you will get not one but two........:D

I am still curious of what modulations it will do.Never did get an answer!...I went ahead and ordered a TBS 6982 puter card...Still no STB better than an AZ!..Hands down!!

Congrats on the card Hockeynut! With all the feeds that are H.264 4:2:2 now pc cards/usb receivers are a must have for any serious fta hobbiest.:up

Congrats on the card Hockeynut! With all the feeds that are H.264 4:2:2 now pc cards/usb receivers are a must have for any serious fta hobbiest.:up
Have a prof 7500 but well you know it will not do 16 and 32 APSK.....Will have a 12 foot Cosmos soon and I will pimp it out on the feed and lnb assembly...LOL..so this should help for the higher modulations.

Yea, my HDstar is supposed to do 32apsk feeds, but have not found one my 6ft Sadoun would pull in yet. LOL:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)