Major Hopper flaw, Problems resuming & can't sync Same Program

So small I'm not sure I can classify it as a problem. Perhaps a limitation of the system. I would say the Hopper is not going to work for goodwoody55. Not every system is right for everyone.

same is true between SD and HD and OTA. only solution would be to delay the output at the hopper itself. seems like a lot of effort for one install.

headphones, build a wall, watch together, turn down volume...

Good suggestions. I think with the simple expedient of delaying playback on the Hopper, Dish could get both programs to come out simultaneously.

But there will always be physics limitations. If the TVs are close together, you'll have gnarly phasing issues between the two sets of speakers. If the two TVs are in different rooms or otherwise separated by a considerable distance, the speed of sound may be discernible if you sit closer to one TV than the other. I used to hear that when there was only broadcast TV, and the TVs were in rooms separated by hallways. In that case you just have to turn down the volume until you can only hear the TV you are watching.

OK, some of you guys seem to be instant experts on hopper. Revise my question:
1. watching RECORDED program in one room, wife wants to continue watch in orginial room while I go to dining room to watch same program
2. pause program in orginial rm, start program in dining room
3. wife pushes play, I push play in dining room---result audio/video not together, cannot get insinc for two rooms.......no walls between rooms---sound from both rooms is intolerable.

open to your suggestion----costomer service says cannot solve.
This is one of the reasons why I use a 4-way HDMI splitter and don't have any Joeys.

I can't imagine a scenario wherein the two of us would be watching the same program, at the same time, on two different TV's that are close enough to hear both. We would just sit together, and watch it on the same TV.

But, I suppose delaying it at the Hopper could sync things up. However, it may not be possible without causing an additional delay at the Joeys, IOW, there might always be an x second delay at the Joeys, regardless of what they do to the Hopper. It all depends on how configurable the FW is for the video outputs, without affecting the tuners.

But, if it can't be done, or they choose not to do it, you can't blame Dish. It's really something that cannot possibly be affecting that many people.

Actually, my wife and I often watch the same channel in different rooms. She works crafts in the Family Room while watching the news, I watch the same in the Living Room. If the sound is low enough you don't hear the delay.

Any time there is signal processing involved you are going to create a delay. When I had a Tivo and had the TV connected to it on along with a TV in the kitchen on, which was directly connected directly to the CATV there was a noticeable delay in the picture and sound on the TV connected to the Tivo.

Currently when I Sling from Dish receiver to my PC, both of which are on my LAN there is a ten second delay. I can time it by pushing the pause on the DVR and it is ten seconds until the picture stops on the PC.

Same issue if I'm listening to the same radio station and same channel on two computers the audio isn't in synch.

While I'm sure that a delay adjustment could be built into the hardware I'm not sure the fix wouldn't be as aggravating as the problem in that you would have to delay the picture and sound at the Hopper by buffering the signal to approximate the delay in processing and sending the signal to the Joey. You would be buffering the signal at the Hopper so when you went to change the channel it might not appear to change until the buffer was flushed.

Last edited:
I mirror my Hopper to the TVs in the adjacent rooms with a modulator. There is no sound delay but they always have to watch the same channel and not in HD but they are small.

goodwoody55 said:
Hopper does not allow you to pause a recorded program in one room and continue viewing where you paused in another room. This feature only works for live programming. Dish realizes this and makes no apology. Then why the DVR with huge hard drive? Does anyone watch live tv anymore? Very disappointing product with this glaring omission!!

I found this problem when we watched a recording of Survivor in our media room, and paused Hopper to continue viewing in dining room. Joey will only allow us to start the program from the beginning. Cannot resume.

Confirmed today this situation with executive at Dish. Was told: " We did not say you could use this feature with your recordings". Is this deceptive marketing ?

Loyal Dish subscriber for 14 years ! Buyer beware!

Good thing there is a skip forward button........

Scherrman said:
Yes. When you go to a different room you will have to press the red shortcut button and select the tuner with the recorded show. Ugh, what does that Dish guy think the purpose of this receiver is? I wish Dish fully educated their employees. Sometimes I feel there are a bunch of morons there. If they do not know the correct answer then they should not be telling customers anything.

You kniw what is super irritating about that? I am an installer and have been told I am not allowed to upgrade to the H/J till summer. How am i supposed to be educated if i dont have tge equipment to play with. And the training for use is lacking IMO.

I like how every minor isolated issue or even issues that don't exist are titled as a "Major Hopper Flaw." :rolleyes:

I don't have D*, but I am also a fellow ViP user. This time next month I'll be using H/J though :D .

We have TVs basically in the same room (living room and kitchen) and we many times watch the same program. We learned real quick to simply turn the volume down on one of the TVs. Was really annoying at first, but turning down one of the TVs fixed that. BTW, the delay varies ... a lot. As little as about 1/2 second all the way to over 5 seconds. Strange.

At times I will have 2 programs on the same network in other rooms, like later today I will have the race going here in the living room and in my 3D room one from Dish, one from Directv and they will be out of sync but I tune it out... (leave it on Directv so I can switch back and forth to Hot Pass & Jr.) ...

Yes. When you go to a different room you will have to press the red shortcut button and select the tuner with the recorded show. Ugh, what does that Dish guy think the purpose of this receiver is? I wish Dish fully educated their employees. Sometimes I feel there are a bunch of morons there. If they do not know the correct answer then they should not be telling customers anything.

i'm a in house tech....i feel kinda bad for not being able to explain things on the hopper...our training suck..we basically learned how to do the install and thats it...we even mention if there is a handout for us to follow so we don't feel stupid when we are at a customer house, but they don't us they don't have one....the kicker ``is they told us "don't act like this is your first time doing a hopper/joey install"...i tell my customer straight out that we have not been properly trained on this system....

Actually, my wife and I often watch the same channel in different rooms. She works crafts in the Family Room while watching the news, I watch the same in the Living Room. If the sound is low enough you don't hear the delay.

My setup is 722k in the living room with the computer room right behind it. At night my wife watches in the living room and I watch in the computer room while I am on the computer. We watch the same thing and the difference between the sounds was driving us crazy. So I used a hdmi splitter to split the same tv signal into both rooms and used the a/v receiver delay to get the sound perfect. We have no sound differences and it makes tv watching in both rooms in HD wonderful. If I was to upgrade I would use two hoppers and one joey and keep the hdmi splitter for my computer room.

You kniw what is super irritating about that? I am an installer and have been told I am not allowed to upgrade to the H/J till summer. How am i supposed to be educated if i dont have tge equipment to play with. And the training for use is lacking IMO.

Why are you not allowed to upgrade till summer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)