Making the hop to the Hopper :)

Voyager6

*Cancelled*
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
Wokeville
Just received two Hoppers w/Sling and two Joeys. I will be doing a self-install. I have a Duo-Node, two taps and two OTA modules. Three lines to the Duo-Node from the dish and then one line to each tap. One line from the tap to the Hopper and one line to a Joey. This will keep interior rewiring to a minimum. Antenna lines are already run separately to the TV's. Should the Duo-Node be inside or out for best performance? I know that the Hoppers should be activated one at a time without the Joeys being hooked up. Any tips that will make the install go easier?

How big is the internal HD on the Hopper w/Sling? 2TB? My wife was commenting that her "Bones" were falling off the HD on our 722k due to my failing to clean off my Formula 1 Practice and Qualification sessions this year. So I fixed that and migrated the F1 races to the EHD, but still, I have more room on my ViP211's EHD than the 722k.

Yes, all hoppers have 2 TB drives. Hopefully we get a larger one with the one about to come out... Or was atleast filed for with the FCC.

I need some more advice from the Collective. I will be doing the install over the long Turkey Day weekend. I currently am using a mixed arc set-up, 110/119/129/61.5 and will be changing to the EA. So my question is, should I do the Hopper set-up first before switching arcs? I seem to remember that the Hopper had some problems with downloads from the EA during initial set-up.

I need some more advice from the Collective. I will be doing the install over the long Turkey Day weekend. I currently am using a mixed arc set-up, 110/119/129/61.5 and will be changing to the EA. So my question is, should I do the Hopper set-up first before switching arcs? I seem to remember that the Hopper had some problems with downloads from the EA during initial set-up.

Hedge your bets . . . pull off the 61.5 and keep it strictly WA during the install. Then go EA after the install.

I would do the Hopper upgrade first, you already know that the dish(s) are pretty well tuned in and working fine.
Most of that job will be indoors which means you can smell the turkey roasting while the downloads are happening.

Once the Hopper(s) and Joeys are settled in you can sit down to a fine meal of turkey, dressing and all the fixings.
I'd give that part of your change a day to feel confident that all is well before trying the conversion to the Eastern arc.
I think I would even wait an extra day before starting the arc conversion.
Good luck............

Here's an update on the install. It went pretty smooth with just one hiccup. At first, I thought that I had a bad node but it turned out to be a wiring mistake on my part.:oops: Once I figured that out and ran a new line, every thing ran smoothly.:) Hooked up the Hoppers first and got them authorized. I waited a day to hook up the Joeys. Now, I just have to convince the DW that this change was worth it.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)