Malwarebytes memory usage lockup

When I switch, my archive hard drives all get corrupted on security ID's and require me to reset permissions. There have been several people trying to do the same thing but Mcrosoft support is of no help.
This would be trivial with Linux but you can't declare a user ID (the reference number behind the login) in Windows as it is assigned randomly when you create a new user.

I've tried setting every file for full access by anyone but Windows fights that tooth and nail and it obviously doesn't work for any newly created files.

I think the answer may lie in maintaining a Windows 7 machine and establishing some shares (yeah, I know Microsoft wants everyone to use homegroups) on the Windows 10 machine. Shares have the advantage of being able to be mapped/mounted from XP and other operating systems.

I've tried setting every file for full access by anyone but Windows fights that tooth and nail and it obviously doesn't work for any newly created files.
Yes I discovered this convenience last year hidden in the advanced menus. I don't recall when MS began with their extreme complicated permissions hierarchy but for the home user like me or even small business, it is way overkill and IMO, was done by an IT team that has large numbers of technician layers and I guess benefits that environment.

I would be happy with staying on win7 but I was forced to do windows 10 to have access to my 3D 360 camera files. The company decided to write code for that minimum system. They are also making it work on Macs but those users report lots of bugs. I also upgraded to windows 10 on my MS surface Pro which I really love for travel. I have the detachable keyboard and a USB switch for expanding to 4 USB inputs. One day I may upgrade it from the original, but for now mine is working great for traveling.

I know zip about Linux. I will stay clear of that as I don't need one more complication to my knowledge base. :)

Yes I discovered this convenience last year hidden in the advanced menus. I don't recall when MS began with their extreme complicated permissions hierarchy but for the home user like me or even small business, it is way overkill and IMO, was done by an IT team that has large numbers of technician layers and I guess benefits that environment.
Microsoft sees enterprises, training companies and VARs as their customers. Small businesses and individuals are viewed (and treated as) swarming irritants that must pay for their transgressions by giving up all sorts of personal information.

Their decision to not support "foreign" file systems has been a constant annoyance to me but it would probably be a huge boon to the class of what they consider to be their customers. As it is, what your left with is SMB (CIFS) that takes a lot of the complication out of NTFS's inscrutable permissions system.

Apple is taking a whack at reinventing the wheel too. Wait until you have to deal with the new filesystem (APFS) on a regular basis.

Apple is taking a whack at reinventing the wheel too. Wait until you have to deal with the new filesystem (APFS) on a regular basis.

The one thing I like about Apple is that it is consumer oriented. As long as Apple handles all the tech stuff behind a curtain, I'm good with that. Microsoft OS is complicated but it is what I need for technical custom build and work stuff. Apple can do a few things but for me, it's last days were with the Avid. The market was too small so the prices were high and eventually, like Newtek had to get into the PC world.

I don't even keep the cover on my Video edit tower. But in the years now we owned the iMAC in the Kitchen, I never opened it and wouldn't know how. LOL! Getting my wife to move onto the Mac was the smartest decision I made. I never have to mess with it as everything is just on auto pilot and she never complains that something isn't working right.

More than a couple of the free readers (including Adobe Reader IIRC) feature PDF comments and/or mark-up features if that's what you're really interested in. I'm a little dubious based on your other post.

If you need an office suite, Libre Office, as I mentioned earlier, will do a lot of the same things for free and it isn't a jungle to navigate like the ribbon-bound waste of screen real estate that Microsoft offers. I've found two very obscure features that it doesn't support and they both have appeared only on gubmint survey forms that could have been presented as PDF forms (one was an Excel multiple choice feature with drop-downs instead of radio buttons). The nice thing about the open source solutions is that they aren't necessarily laden with advertising and user profiling code as Office 365 is.

I was going through the setup for Windows 10 Professional last night and was surprised that there's a switch to turn off tracking. If you turn it off, the description changes to a notice that you won't receive any less advertising but what you do get will likely be less relevant. Big Brother is watching your every twitch.

I also managed to find a way through the registration process that doesn't involve setting up a Microsoft account to hold one's long-term tracking information.

It’s pretty easy not to use a Microsoft Account with Windows 10. Just select that option. They strongly suggest and push you on to using a Microsoft account, but down below in smaller font, you have the option of using a local account, always have with WIN10. In 1703 and 1709, if you opt for a local account, they do give you a shot to back out and tell you all the neato stuff you’ll miss out on. In those setup screens I turn everything I can off, after installation is complete, I'll go into Privacy and disable everything. Privacy is not a concern of mine, I have four smart speakers from all three major platforms spying on me at all times. I'm more concerned about all of these spying services in the background using system resources. All three of my computers are maxed out with RAM, the 10 year old desktop has 8 GB, my laptop has 16 GB and the newer desktop has 32 GB. For peak performance, I do not want any unnecessary services or processes running in the background collecting what Microsoft calls telemetry data and metrics.

I think it was the very first release of Windows 8, that made it look like a Microsoft Account was required to use it. If you did not have an Ethernet cable connected to the PC and/or if you did not sign into a wifi network during the setup, you had the option to create a local account and set up an MS account at a later time. If network connectivity was detected, you did not get that option and had to sign in with an MS account. When doing clean installs on WIN8, I would just pull the ethernet cable.

If you ever download apps (it might be paid apps only, I can’t remember now) from the anemic Windows Store, you also have to be careful and watch what you click because they want you to stay signed into a Microsoft account after you download the app, which then I believe would log you out the the local account profile and into an MS account profile.

Microsoft sees enterprises, training companies and VARs as their customers. Small businesses and individuals are viewed (and treated as) swarming irritants that must pay for their transgressions by giving up all sorts of personal information.

Exactly. From a consumer standpoint the Xbox arm is probably the only thing Microsoft really cares about. They could lose nearly their entire consumer market share and probably not flinch that much. Enterprise is where the money is at. I think that’s why they’ve had so many failures with consumer level products. Zune, Band, RT, Windows Mobile/Windows Phone, Groove Music. They just don’t care. Nor should they really.

An on-prem Windows Server OS with a ton of CALs with Exchange, SQL and to a lesser extent SharePoint Server, Skype for Business Server or Project Server for large lumpsums of $$$ or hosted Exchange, Dynamics and the rest to guarantee that monthly or yearly payment. That’s where Microsoft makes their money and that’s what they care about.

The thing that I don’t like is turning WIN10 Pro into basically Advanced Home. Some of the features of past versions of the profession SKU of Windows have been removed and are only available with Enterprise or Enterprise LTSC. It also really aggravates me that a fresh install of a Professional OS comes loaded with Candy Crush, Age of Empires, and a ton of other apps that have absolutely zero value. If I pay extra for Pro, take out all of that crap. I used to run an illegal copy of Win 10 LTSC at home in a VM and it is awesome. At work, we’re too small (150 computers for 100 users) for volume licensing to make sense and we run computers until they die. If we had a regular refresh cycle, LTSC would be the way to go.

It’s pretty easy not to use a Microsoft Account with Windows 10. Just select that option.
I'm using Pro and your options sound like they might be on a different edition. On Pro you select personal or corporate and then on the next screen you select "Join a domain" or start coughing up personal data. Of course I have no intention of setting up a domain.
In those setup screens I turn everything I can off, after installation is complete, I'll go into Privacy and disable everything.
There's lots of stuff that you can't disable as of 1709. Cortana is one of the most invasive.
I'm more concerned about all of these spying services in the background using system resources.
I used to think that Cortana was the problem until I saw the switch for allowing your computer to share updates with other Windows 10 computers on your network. I don't see that switch anymore so I wonder if they turned it off or turned it on.
For peak performance, I do not want any unnecessary services or processes running in the background collecting what Microsoft calls telemetry data and metrics.
Windows 10 is conducting Microsoft business at varying levels no matter what switches you set. It may be possible to turn some of them off with group policy but you can bet that's not well documented. Windows 7 or earlier and maybe the server versions are the only way around wasting precious resources on performing functions for Microsoft's benefit.

The thing that I don’t like is turning WIN10 Pro into basically Advanced Home. Some of the features of past versions of the profession SKU of Windows have been removed and are only available with Enterprise or Enterprise LTSC.
Apparently the new designations for Enterprise are E3 and E5
It also really aggravates me that a fresh install of a Professional OS comes loaded with Candy Crush, Age of Empires, and a ton of other apps that have absolutely zero value.
I was more than a little peeved about the games, but even more peeved about finding Plex (this may be a Lenovo thing) I uninstalled Skype and pretty much everything else I could and the list of "apps" is still three pages long with all of the handy stuff at the bottom. There's also a bunch of social media crap that you can't uninstall.

Being part of a small business, enterprise versions aren't really available to me but I'd be willing to wager they still have Skype and some other stuff that isn't practical in an enterprise environment.

I'm using Pro and your options sound like they might be on a different edition. On Pro you select personal or corporate and then on the next screen you select "Join a domain" or start coughing up personal data. Of course I have no intention of setting up a domain.

No, I'm talking about Pro.

Here's what you see if you select for Personal Use. The option for Offline Account has always been there in some fashion

upload_2018-2-1_21-25-29.png

If you Click Set up for an Organization, this is what you get. The you click on Domain Join Instead. Since you can't join a domain, without creating a local account, selecting this option essentially does the samething as selecting Offline Account on the other screen

upload_2018-2-1_21-27-47.png

Here's the next screen, where you enter the username for the local user you want to set up, and at the bottom it's pushing you to use an MS account. There was another screen that listed all of the the integration you'd have if you used a Microsoft account, maybe that was 1703 only. These screen shots are from a new VM I just spun up for 1709. The brand new computers I order for work still come with 1703, that's when I probably saw it.

upload_2018-2-1_21-32-19.png

There's lots of stuff that you can't disable as of 1709.

For a lot of the Windows 10 apps that run in the background, there are PS commands that can be run to remove them. I use Classic Shell as a Start Menu replacement, Classic Shell puts all metro style apps in it's own category. For apps that seem like they can't be removed, just right click and in the Context menu select Uninstall and poof they're gone. As you can see I have hardly any metro apps, Audible, Sirius XM and Twit Media Player are obviously ones I've downloaded myself. Seven of the remaining nine cannot be removed using this method though. I'm intentionally keeping Calculator and Sticky Notes.

upload_2018-2-1_21-7-44.png

Cortana is one of the most invasive.I used to think that Cortana was the problem until I saw the switch for allowing your computer to share updates with other Windows 10 computers on your network. I don't see that switch anymore so I wonder if they turned it off or turned it on.

Settings -> Updates & Security -> Windows Updates -> Advanced Options -> Delivery Optimization ->Allow Downloads from other PCs

upload_2018-2-1_21-14-57.png

Apparently the new designations for Enterprise are E3 and E5

Those are the subscription based editions

Being part of a small business, enterprise versions aren't really available to me but I'd be willing to wager they still have Skype and some other stuff that isn't practical in an enterprise environment.

Regular Enterprise, yes probably. I've never used it. Enterprise LTSC, nope not at all. LTSC does not include any metro style apps or hardly anything period. No Photo app, no Mail app, no Skype, no Cortana, no Microsoft Store, no Edge web browser. It gets security updates only, no feature updates.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-1_20-59-57.png
    upload_2018-2-1_20-59-57.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 155
I'm using a Lenovo OEM version (preloaded) and my options are laid out differently. I get the who page first followed by the personal/organization page and then the same second page as you illustrated after choosing organization.

It is also new (to me) that the default power setting is "maximum" rather than "balanced".

Even at 8GB machines are thrashing the hard drive for the first few minutes (checking for updates that it swore weren't available???).

I did some Dell workstations a while back and the options were more like you've presented. The "Allow downloads" option was turned on by default.

I'll use your information to make sure there aren't some other fixes I can make.

I sure wish I could at least remove some of the garbage stuff from the alphabetic menu if they're not going to make uninstalling a reasonable option. I tried Classic Shell last year and it wasn't very stable along with not being as much like the old interface as I would have liked. Maybe they've worked the kinks out.

Without resorting to something non-standard, I've uninstalled every wasted app I can but there are still a couple dozen. Maybe as I replace the default apps (Mail, Calendar, Groove and other ad-laden apps), I'll be able to uninstall them too but I'm not optimistic. It also frosts me that some apps that used to sort under their name now have either "Microsoft" or "Windows" prefixed to their names.

Just curious, if you have all that stuff uninstalled, why do you require 32GB? Do you monitor your RAM use to know? I do here using a "gadget" which shows activity for each of 8 cores and my ram consumption. Most of the time I have about 5 programs running and the ram is between 6-10GB. With a couple video apps, especially with the more robust renderings running, I have seen as high as 22GB of my 24 in use. Normal video rendering projects with 2D editing renders can be done with 10GB in use.
This is what is being shown right now with Outlook, Chrome and 6 tabs, a video YT downloader has completed task but not closed running.

Gadgets.jpg

I fight some CAD workstations that have 32GB and they usually bind up when they get to around 20GB in use (perhaps baseline+16GB). We get "out of memory" errors more than once a week when there appears to be RAM to spare and at least 100GB of disk space left. Many Autodesk products are limited to one core so processors with fewer cores and more speed can be a big advantage.

Another thing I discovered is that SSDs start getting hinky at around 1/3rd free and really goofy at 20% free.

I think you are right about the SSD's Why I keep my work storage on constant monitoring during projects. I have fewer issues with the M.2 sticks than the SSD's however. Soon I will be pulling my one Archive drive which is a backup for my Home theater Blue Ray disk library saved to iso files. It's full so I will be soon pulling it for an empty 4GB new one.

On RAM, most of my work can be done with less than 12GB for video editing but two programs I use on win 10 tax the system at all 8 cores and 20GB-22GB. That would be the 360VR 3D work and is why I'm seeking the new machine. If I keep my productions to under 3 video tracks of 3D 360VR I can handle it with this machine.

I'm surprised that Autocad is still limited like that. I used to use 3D studio and was even a member of the Yost Group test team. That was a long time ago, so I know a little bit about the company. They flew me out to their one field office once. Pretty impressive facility. When I switched to TV production from 3D animation, is about the time when 3D Studio moved to a windows program with MAX.

I'm surprised that Autocad is still limited like that.
Only those who believe what Autodesk says should be surprised. Their actual deliverables are typically quite disappointing when the rubber meets the road. They're engaged in a mighty battle to convert everything to .net and it isn't as easy as Microsoft insisted it would be.

I knew we were in trouble when the installation of a 2017 product release (of Inventor 2018) still requires the 2008 C runtime and every other C runtime up through 2015.

Just curious, if you have all that stuff uninstalled, why do you require 32GB? Do you monitor your RAM use to know? I do here using a "gadget" which shows activity for each of 8 cores and my ram consumption. Most of the time I have about 5 programs running and the ram is between 6-10GB. With a couple video apps, especially with the more robust renderings running, I have seen as high as 22GB of my 24 in use. Normal video rendering projects with 2D editing renders can be done with 10GB in use.
This is what is being shown right now with Outlook, Chrome and 6 tabs, a video YT downloader has completed task but not closed running.

When I buy a new computer, its for the long haul. I spend a ton of $$$ and max the specs out, and keep it for 5 years or more as my main computer, and then when I get a replacement that becomes my secondary computer for another 5 years. I always, always, always, configure a computer with the fastest consumer level Intel processor available at the time. I’ll even hold off on buying a computer until Intel releases a new generation and I am more than willing to pay a premium for that. My current desktop from 2013 has a Core i7 Extreme hexacore at 3.6 GHz. Usually I stick to the best non-enthusiast CPUs, but in the case of the last computer, HP had an awesome deal on CTO Envy Phoenix computers so I went with the Extreme. The maximum amount of memory the motherboard would support was 32 GB so I took it.

What do I use all of that for? Nothing at first. I don’t game, I couldn’t edit a video or photo to save my life, I don’t use CAD/CAM software. But for a few years now I have been heavily into spinning up virtual machines for fun, to play around with things I’d like to do at work, but would never do in a live environment and to learn. I can max out 32GB of RAM in minutes once I power up my Server 2012 R2 Domain Controller, Server 2016 Exchange VM, WIN 10 and WIN 7 Workstations and start playing. In addition to that I have a few Linux VMs that don’t use much, I dedicated 2GB of RAM for those, my XP VM is 3 GB, and my MacOS VM which no longer works with the new version of VMWare was 6 GB.

This is what my my usage looks like with right now with 1 Chrome window open, with 4 tabs, Outlook with 5 mailboxes configured, two RDP sessions, VMWare with Server 2016 and WIN 7 loaded and updating, and I my weekly full Symantec scan just kicked off a few minutes ago.

upload_2018-2-2_18-55-26.png

Reactions: HipKat
I sure wish I could at least remove some of the garbage stuff from the alphabetic menu if they're not going to make uninstalling a reasonable option. I tried Classic Shell last year and it wasn't very stable along with not being as much like the old interface as I would have liked. Maybe they've worked the kinks out.

As of December, Classic Shell is no longer being updated. According to a post on the website the developer no longer has time to develop the application. Like Winamp, I’ll continue to use it forever.

I hate change, refuse to change, and am afraid of change. As soon as I installed Windows 7 and found out Microsoft removed the option for the classic start menu I immediately reformatted and went back to Vista. The Start Menu with simple cascading sub-menus is how I’ve always accessed applications in Windows since 95 and NT4 and I cannot stand anything else. I first discovered Classic Shell a couple months after it came out in early 2010 and then went back to Windows 7, and when 8 came out, I gave myself the Start Button back that everyone was complaining about. I never had a single problem with Classic Shell in the 8 years I've used it. I feel completely lost at work when am on other peoples computers. Not sure what you mean by not being as much like the old interface. Classic Shell is extremely customizable. If you don't want to use Classic Shell, you can always install it, remove all the metro apps you can, then uninstall it to go back to stock.

Below are my Start Menus with Classic Shell and stock Windows. No unwanted apps here.

upload_2018-2-2_19-19-15.png

upload_2018-2-2_19-24-59.png

When I buy a new computer, its for the long haul. I spend a ton of $$$ and max the specs out, and keep it for 5 years or more as my main computer, and then when I get a replacement that becomes my secondary computer for another 5 years. I always, always, always, configure a computer with the fastest consumer level Intel processor available at the time.

We think alike, but I'm driven by the latest in Video editing. When I built this one the i7-960 just came out and was hard to find, but this ASUS MB and CPU with 8GB and an i7-950 had just dropped in price. My prior machine still in service was a HP model that was awful internally. The case design was very difficult to make changes. It was bass ackwards with access on the right side and the hard drives were only accessed by removing several other components. That OS was a windows NT so you know how old it was but with Raid drives, I was able to edit 2D HD but not 3D. So my current machine was the upgrade with this i7 and a mid tower with 12 drive bays easily accessed but two are blocked by the full length graphics card. When I boughtm this one from then CompUSA it was a bare bones build. They offered me a sweet deal on another i3 to use as my business computer so I bought that too enabling me to trash the windows NT HP box altogether. That i3 is the one I junked last week.

We think alike, but I'm driven by the latest in Video editing. When I built this one the i7-960 just came out and was hard to find, but this ASUS MB and CPU with 8GB and an i7-950 had just dropped in price. My prior machine still in service was a HP model that was awful internally. The case design was very difficult to make changes. It was bass ackwards with access on the right side and the hard drives were only accessed by removing several other components. That OS was a windows NT so you know how old it was but with Raid drives, I was able to edit 2D HD but not 3D. So my current machine was the upgrade with this i7 and a mid tower with 12 drive bays easily accessed but two are blocked by the full length graphics card. When I boughtm this one from then CompUSA it was a bare bones build. They offered me a sweet deal on another i3 to use as my business computer so I bought that too enabling me to trash the windows NT HP box altogether. That i3 is the one I junked last week.

Yep, I remember that 960. That was the best i7 money could buy, if you didn't jump up to the Extreme, which I think was the 970 or 980. With the the hype around the brand new Intel Core iSeries, I looked down at my not that old Core 2 Quad with disgust. 8 GB of Ram was pretty good back then, and even today. A lot of my computers at work have either 4 or 8 gigs. NT was a great operating system. Yes, I know everything since Windows 2000 was built on the NT platform, but I loved the idea of a no nonsense OS that was built for reliability not game play. Windows NT 5.0 aka Windows 2000 was my all time favorite.

At work I'll be ordering 3 new Dell Precision workstations in the next week or so for our CAD guys. They use mostly use PTC Creo with some SolidWorks and Autodesk AutoCAD Electrical and Mechanical mixed in. Initially it looks they will be Xeon E3-1270 @ 3.8 GHz, 64 GB of RAM and Quadro P4000 graphics cards w/8 GB video memory. Personally I think I'm done with consumer level stuff. In five years when I replace with PC, I'll probably be looking at an HP ZStation, with some flavor of a Xeon processor and an insane about of RAM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)