Manual speaker calibration

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ok, I get you go into the AVR menu, measure off your speaker distance and then input. Set up the internal xover, and set speakers to Large/Small etc...

After all that is (Audyssey and all that crap is OFF), how do you adjust trim levels for the speakers? My marantz of course has a test tone, but what do I set to? 75db's keeps coming up, so do I fire up the tone and my meter and increase/decrease trim until im at 75? How about the sub, its reading is never as steady as the speakers.

I noticed after running Audyssey, all my speakers are 72db's with the test tones.

I just reran the other day after I put up the Axioms. It set mine to about 73-74. You know you can use the Audyssey plus custom, right? I adjusted slightly up to 74-75.

S~

So when Audyssey is complete, and you run test tones, they should be 75? Mine are 72, but the RS SPL meter has like a 1.5d error there, so it sounds like I still may be a little low.

Here is what i dont like about Audyssey, it sets my mains ay -5.0dB and the center at -8.0dB. Now I get they are efficient, but I end up having to use a volume of -9.0db for Directv, sometimes even as low as -5.0dB, then I have to use 0.0 to +2.0dB for blu-ray with lossless. That just seems wrong.

So when Audyssey is complete, and you run test tones, they should be 75? Mine are 72, but the RS SPL meter has like a 1.5d error there, so it sounds like I still may be a little low.

Here is what i dont like about Audyssey, it sets my mains ay -5.0dB and the center at -8.0dB. Now I get they are efficient, but I end up having to use a volume of -9.0db for Directv, sometimes even as low as -5.0dB, then I have to use 0.0 to +2.0dB for blu-ray with lossless. That just seems wrong.

Unless we listen at different volumes, I have never turned my Marantz that high. ;) I usually listen at about -16 to -14. I take it you are using relative for volume display?

S~

My settings:

Speakers: Small
Distance: L/R 14.9, Center 14, Sub 16.6 and I just noticed I need to relook at my surround distances (Could be accurate)
Levels: Vary depending on speaker -4 to +1

S~

Ill need to check, but Im pretty sure I am. Thats what I dont get, the Klipsch are efficient as hell, why in the world am I cutting it up that high.

My settings:

Speakers: Small
Distance: L/R 14.9, Center 14, Sub 16.6 and I just noticed I need to relook at my surround distances (Could be accurate)
Levels: Vary depending on speaker -4 to +1

S~

My distances were pretty close to spot on. I may use the test tone and get everything to 74 on my meter (should be 75.5db in real life) and see how things go.

I have front and center as Small, xovers at 80hz.

I'll go home and bump the trim levels on my speakers to get up to 75 with my meter and the Marantz test tone, and then check what volume display Im using. I already bumped the sub like 2.0dB so Im sure its close.

When the guy comes in October, he's got all the gear and software, he can do it by hand and figure it out. I'm just trying to tweak it until then, which is why I should prob keep the Audyssey filters enabled.

Speaker Placement: Setup Tips for Upgraded Home Theater Systems — Reviews and News from Audioholics

This pretty simple for anyone wondering, and mostly what I knew. I do kinda like their suggestion of 80dB for the sub :)

10.0 hz: +20.0 db
12.5 hz: +16.5 db
16.0 hz: +11.5 db
20.0 hz: + 7.5 db
25.0 hz: + 5.0 db
31.5 hz: + 3.0 db
40.0 hz: + 2.5 db
50.0 hz: + 1.5 db
63.0 hz: + 1.5 db
80.0 hz: + 1.5 db

Radio Shack meter offsets. I think I may go home and start from scratch without Audyssey, and just see what I think.

Unfortunately, not everything has the same levels. When you are at 0 on the volume in the Marantz, you are at reference level. For most, that will be way too loud. So 0db for BDs would be accurate when using Audyssey.

S~

True, it's technically -8.0 volume with regards to the fronts, not 0.0, since they are reduced by -8.0. Have to keep that in mind I guess.

It's neat you can also manually EQ each frequency instead of using Audyssey in the AVR, but you need a good mic. I know some guys doing calibration for others are using like $700 mics :) and $100 software. Easier to just pay someone LOL.

Most of the recommendation after applying Audyssey is to test pink noise with it on because of the equalization. Problem is, it appears most AVR's won't apply that equalization from Audyssey to their internal test tone (see stupid). So, something like DVE Blu-ray with audio test tones are the way to go, because thats one of the devices you will be using for sound anyways.

DVE Blu-ray has two options, Full Bandwidth and Band Limited pink noise. Anyone have any idea which is the correct one to use for setting speaker level, and if they are 75db or 85db?

Well, I could have posted this in the sub thread, but since it involves Audyssey, I'll do post here.

I pulled out the old Energy and put in the one of the BG Radias om the HT room since it is a billion degrees this week. Since it is in the left corner, I turned it and put it aong th side wall. I redid Audyssey. Distances were about 6 incehes different. Fronts, center, sub were all at 74/75. Surrounds were 72/73 so I bumped them up a bit. 74/75. When I turned on Resident Evil: Afterlife, measurements were at 75 with the receiver at -16. Went up or down of course depending on what was happening in the scene. Sub is much better. Has a great musical roll with soundtracks and great boom with out overpowering and sounding artificial.

S~

What Im thinking may be easiest, instead of over complicating this, is to just run Audyssey, because it's filters do help. Once done, just go into the AVR test tones, ensure speakers are around 75dB and equal to each other, then set the sub 5.0 dB higher to see if I like that. I will need to set the gain on the sub so Audyssey sets it's trim around -3.0db. This will allow it to be around +2 db after I crank it up. I try and arrive between +5 and -5 db for the sub in trim level settings.

one thing i bet you aren't taking into account is dynamic range compression which makes the perceived volume louder by raising the average spl higher.

blurays tend to be uncompressed, while your broadcast events could employ drc.

something to consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I used the DVE disc to see what I measured. With the multichannel tests my meter read 75 with the volume knob at reference level. DVE test tone is 10db lower.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts