Many ordering problems

DanM64

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Mokena, IL
I decided to go ahead and upgrade to 2 Hoppers with Sling and 1 Joey. The first order was processed, and my email confirmation stated I was only getting shipped a 722. A service appointment was never officially scheduled, 5he rep told me they would "call later to verify."

Needless to say, I called again, and the new rep said there was some kind of mistake, and to just reject the 722 shipment when UPS delivered it. I placed a new order, only this time I was told I couldn't order 2 HWS and 1 J, I had to order 2 HWS and 2 J. I decided to go ahead and order the 2/2, and just explain to the tech I only need one.

I got my new confirmation e-mail, which reads as follows:
Equipment Added Rcvr Hopper with Sling Rcvr Hopper with Sling Rcvr Joey Rcvr Joey.

Is it really not possible to get 2 HWS and 1 J as I was told?

I'm really getting frustrated. I had no problems getting the 922 ane 722k installed back when the 922 came out, and when I moged last year the Dish mover program was seamless as well. I eon't understand why I'm having so much trouble now.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The way I read it is two HWS and two Joeys.To be on the safe side pm a dirt member.

My mistake! I do read it as 2 HWS with 2 J. Not to sure what I saw earlier. What do you guys recommend I do with the extra Joey? Should I just tell the tech I need it, or keep it on hand as a spare? Not sure if there's a price different with 2 Joeys vs. 1.

My mistake! I do read it as 2 HWS with 2 J. Not to sure what I saw earlier. What do you guys recommend I do with the extra Joey? Should I just tell the tech I need it, or keep it on hand as a spare? Not sure if there's a price different with 2 Joeys vs. 1.

Dish csr's can only put in orders for 2 Joeys when ordering 2 Hoppers/Hoppers with sling. You can refuse one Joey while tech is installing the equipment. Each Joey is $7 per month. The Joey would need to remain active in order for you to keep it if it is leased. If you own it outright, you can activate it and deactivate it as needed.

Dish csr's can only put in orders for 2 Joeys when ordering 2 Hoppers/Hoppers with sling. You can refuse one Joey while tech is installing the equipment. Each Joey is $7 per month. The Joey would need to remain active in order for you to keep it if it is leased. If you own it outright, you can activate it and deactivate it as needed.
Awesome, thanks so much for the info! I will do that. I'm really excited to get this upgrade done, it will be really nice to have 6 tuners instead of the 4 I have with my setup now, let alone the DVR's being connected. Installation is set for Tuesday morning. My tv upstairs currently has no hookup, both CSRs told me getting a new line run into that room for the Joey won't be a problem. I hope they're right. I seem to remember that they won't fish through the wall for free.

Thabks for all the help, everyone

Awesome, thanks so much for the info! I will do that. I'm really excited to get this upgrade done, it will be really nice to have 6 tuners instead of the 4 I have with my setup now, let alone the DVR's being connected. Installation is set for Tuesday morning. My tv upstairs currently has no hookup, both CSRs told me getting a new line run into that room for the Joey won't be a problem. I hope they're right. I seem to remember that they won't fish through the wall for free.

Thabks for all the help, everyone

The installer will likely drill through the outside wall and run the cable on the outside of the house. If that's not what you want, either do it yourself or make sure to tell them what is wanted ahead of time and agree on any additional cost.

If you have good reception, get an ota modle for each HWS. That will give you an additional tuner on each. Also, you will be able to view all the sub-channels transmitted by your locals. Usually, you'll find a weather channel and severa old time channels plus PBS channels. If you're close enough to another market, you'll be able to get them. In my situation, Rochester NY is my locals on Dish but with the ota, roof top antenna and a booster I also get Syracuse NY crystal clear.

The Hopper conversion is done. The CSR on the phone said since she deactivated my 922 amd 722k all the dvr recordings are lost! I ordered an EHD which will arrive later this week. When I plug in my 922 to the tv, I am still able to see all the dvr recordings.

Will the 922 read the EHD when I plug it in? I never had an EHD connected to the 922 before it was deactivated, so I'm worried Dish won't be able to activate the 922 EHD capability now that it's off my account.

Crap. Lol. I guess when the EHD comes I'll be the guinea pig. I sure hope it works!

If it makes a difference, I unhooked the 922 before it was deactivated in the system.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but don't get your hopes up. If I recall correctly, deactivated receivers won't accept EHDs.

That's sort of what I figured honestly. I have 30 days to return the 922, so I guess I'll just be watching a LOT of tv. Do you usually have to call and have a CSR enable EHD use for a 922 the first time you use it? The EHD directions on MyDish don't really specify that, they just state if you plug it in it will work.

Naw, but it still has to get authorization from the sat, as well as pull in the Household Key to encrypt/decrypt the data on the drive.

I think you will have to get Dish to reactivate those receivers on your account, at least temporarily, so that you can move those recordings onto your EHD. N.B. I have no idea if Dish will do this, but they should!

I'm sure they won't activate the old receivers with the Hoppers active, however they might be able to temporarily deactivate the Hoppers and activate the old receivers for you to transfer.

I know the 922 and Hopper can't be activated at the same time. When the EHD arrives I will try to see if they can temporarily activate them as you suggested. I assume I'll have to bypass the node, but that shouldn't be too hard.

I'm new to the whole EHD thing, hopefully others will learn from my mistake. I really appreciate all the help!

Just an update. Thanks to the AMAZING DIRT Team!!! I have temporarily bypassed my hopper node. They were kind enough to temporarily deactivate my Hoppers, and reactivate my 922! On the advice from fellow forum members, I had purchased a 2TB WD My Book. Hooked up the EHD this evening and it quickly formatted. I'm in the process of backing up all my dvr recordings now. Once the backup is complete, I'll hook the Hopper node back up and DIRT is going to reactivate my Hopper system for me!!

I couldn't be happier. Thanks so much to Zach, Matt, and the rest of the DIRT team! It really means a lot that they are willing to make sure I can correct what I screwed up in the first place.

Hopefully others can learn from my mistake. Save to your EHD BEFORE you get your Hoppers installed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)