May have fried my brand new Coolsat 6000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dougbrown

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
Southern WI
While I'm new to FTA, I am not new to the skies, I have a 20 year old Radio Shack 9ft dish in the back yard that has served me faithfully. In fact it's still using the original positioning motor! It has a Chaparral Corotor II with fairly modern linear C & KU lnb's. My primary reciever is a 4DTV 922. I recently acquired a Coolsat 6000 and slaved it into the existing system with splitters and a diseQc switch. I have been having some problems getting the diseQc switch to switch between the two lnb's. I placed terminators on the open ports on the switch but to no avail. I've also tried two different diseQc 's. Any suggestions on getting the switch to switch?
Then last night I decided to reset the database and start all over again. Now after doing so,the machine will boot up and it will load the menu, but I can no longer get into the satellite settings, when I try it basically reboots the machine. I'm thinking about re-flashing the firmware, but am not to sure that will fix the problem. Which brings me to my next point, In the FTA equipment review area of this forum a user has posted channel maps and some utilities for the Coolsat 6000. I have to assume that these are within the bounds of "No Hack Talk"? Any ways the utility STBTool.exe looks like the tool to use for flashing the original factory firmware back on to the machine. However when I try to test the process and open the application the upload bullet on the firmware tab is disabled, naturally I assumed this was because no file had been selected, but even after selecting a file(the correct file for this update) the bullet remains disabled. So how am I to upload the firmware back onto the machine? and, If I do reload the firmware will it fix the menuing problem? Or did I get one of the POS Coolsats that I've been reading about? help.......

When using the STBTool - Try Download.

I placed terminators on the open ports on the switch but to no avail
Remove Them.

I have been having some problems getting the diseQc switch to switch between the two lnb's.
Do not connect / disconnect to a DiSEqC Switch with ant of the Recevier's Power ON, always use the switch on the back of the receiver or unplug.
Did you enter the DiSEqC Ports in the Coolsat's Sat Setup Menu?
You have to tell the receiver which port to use for each Sat, it's not smart enough to do it on its own. You also need to setup a separate Sat for C and Ku, kinda like the 922 - GB and XB, same orbit slot, different setup.

Hi Doug, I have ran into that same problem with coolsats not switching, an it has came back to certain brands of C & Ku lnb's, I have tried several switches an only have found 1 that has worked like a champ, with out changing lnb's out an that is the SW-21 switch.

now as far as receiver re-booting have you tried a "NAV-Clear"? an if you have then I would reload the factory firm-ware again.

now to do a "nav-clear" on Coolsat 4000, 5000, an 6000.
turn receiver off with remote.
push an hold channel up button on the receiver.
hit power button on the front of receiver,
release both buttons same time
screen will come up, with all kinds of settings, lower right will see "NAV-Clear"
use remote, > over to it hilight it an push enter
now reboot receiver "back power switch"
then do a master clear agin an re set up you're sats.

hope it helps their I do this to every receiver that has been working from the eye-patch gang. the way that I have done them after getting of flee-bay is master clear, the nav-clear, then factory firm-ware, then nav-clear, an master clear last time, an have had reall good luck with the coolies.

What exactly does the NAV-Clear do ?

and after that process do I have a clean slate and have to flash my channel list again or does all information remain intact.

I'm only asking because my Coolsat hic-ups once in awhile.

OK let me get this straight, in order to upload the Firmware to the Coolsat I need to select "Download" in the STBTool ? Would this hold tru for the Channel maps as well?, And it looks like the firmware and channel maps could be done at the same time, but I'm guessing that I don't want to do that, any one know about this?

I have a graphic that shows me the different ports on the DISEqC for the C-band on G3 and KU on GB for example, I can switch between them on the screen, just no real difference in the signal I'm getting when I do.
I'll remove the terminators from the extra ports. I have two of the DMSI DISEqC switches in addition to the Coolsat switch that came with the reciever, so I can try to exchange them with all power shut down. Are the SW-21 a model or brand?

Captain, I will try the procedure you have outlined, but is a Master Clear the same as resetting the database or something else?

OK let me get this straight, in order to upload the Firmware to the Coolsat I need to select "Download" in the STBTool
You are Downloading "To" the Receiver.

I have a graphic that shows me the different ports on the DISEqC for the C-band on G3 and KU on GB for example,
You need to look to see how You connected the Cables to the DiSEqC Switch, and enter that info in to the reciever for each and every Sat in the Coolsat.

Also, when flashing the firmware, do I start the transfer on the PC and then start the Receiver update or start on the receiver and then go to the PC? Simple questions to be sure but the last thing I've flashed was a HP JetDirect card, and that was a one way conversation.

If all of this has been covered already in another thread please direct me to it.

Also, when flashing the firmware, do I start the transfer on the PC and then start the Receiver update or start on the receiver and then go to the PC? Simple questions to be sure but the last thing I've flashed was a HP JetDirect card, and that was a one way conversation.

Normally you turn the power switch off on the back of the receiver, then start the transfer on your PC, then turn the power switch back on. The code should start uploading during the boot process. The software update menu options are for receiver to receiver transfers I believe.

OK, I've done the Nav-clears the master resets and firmware update, I've uploaded the channel map to boot. The reciever no longer reboots itself, thanks to everyone. I'm still exploring things, and have been using G3 primarily because that is where my wifes channels are on 4DTV. So I've been able to pick up a couple of Spanish language stations and CBS from Yakima WA. I can get the Roberts feeds and a Jewelry channel feed. But when I try to get the Equity feeds I don't seem to get much, the blind scan finds them but the quality is really poor. I think I'm getting stuff on both V & H polarities, so are the Equity feeds that weak? I'm still not getting the DISEqC switch to work yet either, three seperate switches now. So I'll try connecting the cable directly to the receiver to see if the LNB is even working, then I'll pick up a SW-21 and see how that pans out.

doug, press Menu, highlight Installation & press OK, enter password (if necessary), highlight Dish Setting & press OK, arrow down to DiSEqC Switch and use right/left arrows to highlight 1.0, arrow down to Committed and use right/left arrow to highlight port position (1-4). I would suggest 1 for C-Band. Then, you'll have do do it all a second time and set it up for ku-Band and highlight 2 on the Committed line for it. It will be set up as 2 separate satellites, one for C-Band and one for ku-Band.
Good Luck!

I've been able to move beyond my problem with the receiver rebooting itself. I've started to add birds into the system. I was quite happy when I hit G4 (Galaxy16 or 99.0w) for those non 4DTV types out there :)
I've been trying to dial in the c-band equity feeds on Galaxy3c, I can pull in a weak signal on a couple of the feeds, not even enough to make out the audio and the picture is a worthless green glob. Do any of the other forum members know if 1. these feeds are extra weak? or 2. Are they still there? or 3. Is there some super secret method of tuning these feeds that can only be revealed on a full moon?
At this point I think that my Ku lnb is shot, I connected it directly to the Coolsat receiver and didn't come up with a thing. It's odd because I was watching Ku on X4 this spring. So I've got a backup lnb somewhere in the shed and it looks like I'm gonna be trying to beat the snow tonight to swap it out, otherwise I may end up waiting until spring. I'll try to get a picture of my 23 year old BUD posted some time. Mounted in a cubic yard of cement.

watermark.php

Not very good, and old,(the picture that is , the dish is old but works well) but it's all I have right now
I have a clear view from the western horizon to about 87W, thats where I start to run into the elm trees. But I have another bud a 7 footer waiting to go up on the other side of the trees that will give me the eastern skies as well

Last edited:
Well, I tried for the equity feeds on 99.0W again last night. First I checked the quality on the 4DTV receiver and noticed it was around 68. I bumped the dish to the east several times and fiddled with the polarity, got the Q up to 71. Then did a blind scan and wow everything popped up.:) It's amazing what a little fine tuning will do...

dougbrown,
Does your Radio Shack BUD have the H to H positioner? My brother-in-law had one like yours with the H to H until my dad hit it with the combine while picking corn. I saved what I could from the scrapper (my nephew) but I think he still has the motor. I better check just what IS in my warehouse! My B-in-law was a real BUDman until he got wiped out. I offered him a free BUD from me of his choice but he chose Directv for some reason and is not happy with them!!!

Dan, yes it is the one with the H to H mount. He probably didn't realize what he had with his BUD, for me it was one of the better investments I've made.

The last 12" snow fall killed the Equity feeds on 93.0 W . The weight of the snow on the dish must have shifted things a tiny bit, now the feeds are breaking up badly, but the 4DTV stuff all comes in fine on the same bird. I'm definitely going to have to do some maintenance on the dish this spring, for one thing that 20 year old motor doesn't like the cold weather very much I took it over to 137W the other day and had a heck of a time going back to 93W. I had to step one bird at a time and in some cases repeatedly to do it. As far as Ku reception goes, I don't think the lnb is working at all. Does any one know of any analog on Ku? a test card or any thing? Even Shepperd's Chapel would be a blessing (yes pun intended) on Ku. Just so I had some way to verify the function of the Lnb on the 4DTV receiver.

Does any one know of any analog on Ku? a test card or any thing? Even Shepperd's Chapel would be a blessing (yes pun intended) on Ku.

LyngSat shows test cards on AMC16 tp24 and AMC15 tp12. Someone else will have to confirm if they're active. No analog receiver or spectrum analyzer here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Paraclipse Dish?

DSR 4500x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)