May have to switch back to Dish immediately. Directv sucks.

teneightyp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Duluth, MN
Directv installer didn't arrive until 8:30 PM (4-8 window) He left at 11:15 PM. Didn't have any flashlights. Had to use my daughters book clip light, my flashlight, and my headlamp. Used my ladder. Nothing is up and running. Wires all over house. Is this why I switched from Dish? Possible huge mistake. Might have to cancel this whole thing. Really lame.

teneightyp said:
Directv installer didn't arrive until 8:30 PM (4-8 window) He left at 11:15 PM. Didn't have any flashlights. Had to use my daughters book clip light, my flashlight, and my headlamp. Used my ladder. Nothing is up and running. Wires all over house. Is this why I switched from Dish? Possible huge mistake. Might have to cancel this whole thing. Really lame.

Well first off, never agree to such a late appointment window, if you aren't first on the day for a new install, they are gonna show up late....unless you lucky.

Second...the second the Guy didn't have his.own equipment I wouldst kicked him off my property. No professional should show up with out all the gear they need.

I think you just got unlucky. I'd call back immediately and demand a new tech.

You think posting the same thing in two places is going to help you?
Yup the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. :D

I do however think that he is basic his thought on an entire company based on one installer which is wrong. He just got a bad installer, that dose not mean the entire company is bad. :)

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you invited this mess by allowing the installer to start work that late in the evening.
Chalk it up to a lesson learned, call & cxl the order, it may be activated even though it's not working, bypass the 800# altogether, talk to a local retailer if you still want the service. Whatever you do, do it quickly. Good luck.

Yup the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. :D

I do however think that he is basic his thought on an entire company based on one installer which is wrong. He just got a bad installer, that dose not mean the entire company is bad. :)

I agree, see how DirecTV handles this situation before passing judgement.

The reason I jumped to Dish for Directv was no locals for weeks and then the poor way Customer Service was handling the situation. On the flip side I ordered Dish and had it installed the next day (a Saturday), there were some install issues and DiRT stepped in and made it right. So again give Directv the chance to make it right first, then pass judgement.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you invited this mess by allowing the installer to start work that late in the evening.
Chalk it up to a lesson learned, call & cxl the order, it may be activated even though it's not working, bypass the 800# altogether, talk to a local retailer if you still want the service. Whatever you do, do it quickly. Good luck.
I didn't invite anything except for the chance for Directv to earn my business. They offered the service. They offered the 4-8 window. If they're not capable of providing the service that they claim they offer then they shouldn't offer it. They're the ones who should learn the lesson.

I don't think it is any where fair to let this unfortunate installation represent all of Directv and the service they provide. If you are to dislike Directv, it should be because they torture puppies and kittens in the corporate office for fun.

I don't think it is any where fair to let this unfortunate installation represent all of Directv and the service they provide. If you are to dislike Directv, it should be because they torture puppies and kittens in the corporate office for fun.
Agreed.

I first signed up with direct. Installation was a nightmare. Guy drilled into my roof and ruined my gutter with his ladder. Then once he had the dish mounted said he couldn't get signal and had to pole mount it. But said it'd cost me 50 and i had to supply pole and concrete. I told him no. He said they'd send a supervisor. Then he asked for a tip because he tried really hard and he wouldn't get paid for spending 4 hours without completing. Waited a week no one ever showed. Finally i called they said i had no line of sight. I canceled the order and got dish. Dish pole mounted a dish and i was good to go. No extra fees no bs. And most important no property damage. Im sure i just had a bad tech but from this experience i will never sign up with direct again.

Maybe you got the same guy as me! Lol

Yeah it don't matter if it's Dish or Direct so it comes down to who does the install work. So basically sometimes you get good installers other times you get someone who does bad work.. Either way I always try to deal with a local reseller that way you know what your getting ahead of time plus easier to get hold of. I know not everyone has that option you just get who Dish or Direct sends out but with this issue you should call Direct let them know what happen and have them send someone one else or see if you have someone local you can deal with. If you went with someone local and have this kind of service again you should let Direct know that they do bad work and should not be allowed to do installs.