Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games for testing positive.

Wow how dumb can you be now to try to get away with it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

I am curious to know when was the test taken. Last year, he had a great year and unless the test is from last year, I am sure he went through random test.

I just do not believe that PEDs will not make you a BETTER baseball player...just a stronger one. Eye-hand coordination and timing is the key. No matter how strong you are, if you can't see it...you can't hit it.

The real sad thing is that Melky Cabrera was one of the feel good stories of this season & then this happens. I found out about from the scrawl on the bottom of Fox News. I had to immediately change the channel to ESPN to make sure I read it right. Don't you get suspended 50 games for a repeat offense?

royrdsjr said:
The real sad thing is that Melky Cabrera was one of the feel good stories of this season & then this happens. I found out about from the scrawl on the bottom of Fox News. I had to immediately change the channel to ESPN to make sure I read it right. Don't you get suspended 50 games for a repeat offense?

I think it's 50 the 1st time, 100 the 2nd time and indefinitely the 3rd time and you have petition to come back.

Excellent article in Deadspin last night on my exact point about Melky. As soon as I get a chance, I will attach it. It makes the point that the only thing that has changed is that he was 25 pounds lighter and he lead the Majors in ground balls. Statistically, your chances of getting hits is higher if you hit ground balls than balls hit in the air. It is a fascinating article.

EDIT: Here is the article:

But a closer examination of Cabrera's numbers suggests an alternate possibility: Performance-enhancing drugs haven't done much at all for his offense.
Yes, Melky's hitting .346, a full 62 points better than his career average. But everything else he's doing is in line with his usual performance. He's walking in seven percent of his plate appearances and striking out in 12 percent of them, which are the same figures he's had all his career. He's hitting line drives on 21.8 percent of his batted balls, only a slight uptick from his usual 19.7 percent mark. The 10.7 percent of his fly balls he's hitting for homers is in line with the 10.3 percent of his fly balls he hit for homers on the 2009 Yankees, back when he was supposedly a loser.

The only big spike for Cabrera came with his BABIP (batting average on balls in play). His career BABIP is .309, but he hit .332 on balls in play last year and .379 on balls in play this year. Good luck explains some of this, and we can explain even more by looking at Cabrera's underlying numbers.

Players who hit more ground balls will have higher BABIPs than players who hit more fly balls. (Derek Jeter, our modern BABIP champion, hits a bonkers 58 percent of his batted balls on the ground.) Cabrera hit more ground balls this year than last year, so his BABIP ticked up. As for the pre-2011 spike, Cabrera got faster after losing 20 pounds during the offseason. In 2011, he set career highs in infield hits—with 26—and bunt hits—with 8. Those balls would have been outs in past years, but because of his new physique they were hits in 2011. His BABIP and batting average increased accordingly.

This year's version of Melky is more or less last year's version of Melky, only with a different approach at the plate: more ground balls. And last year's Melky was more or less the same old Melky he had always been, just a little lighter on his feet. That transformation isn't outlandish for a player entering his prime, and it sure as hell isn't indicative of a player receiving a significant chemical boost.

http://deadspin.com/5935216/did-performance+enhancing-drugs-actually-help-melky-cabrera

Last edited:
Cabrera is now being investigated by the Feds. Evidently, he created a fake website in an attempt to cover up his steroid use.

The purpose was to fool MLB and the players' union, while presenting them with the website and resulting phony product information, into believing Cabrera had ordered a supplement fraudulently spiked with testosterone, therefore causing the positive drug test, the report says.

Players who test positive are allowed, as part of the collective bargaining agreement that covers the MLB's drug program, to try and prove they ingested a banned substance through no fault of their own.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...abrera-launched-fake-website-ruse-report-says

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)