Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK...needs some help. Wanted to swap out the Coolsat 5000 on the motorized system for the Fortec Merc II so I moved the dish to 93W (true south) and hooked up Merc II. Reset motor and started plugging in and storing sats. Got 93 stored, 91 stored, etc...Now here is where it gets wacky

If I use Diseqc 1.2 (which is what I normally use) and set up the sats with a Vertical polarity TP, all is well. Move the dish to the sat using the "move" and then locking it...but if I pick a Horizontal TP and say move the dish moves BUT WONT STOP even if I hit stop, direction arrow to go the other way etc. The only way to stop it from moving is to exit out and go back to the sat I was at.

I went back to the 5000 for the time being

Anybody else run into this? This is the old one button SG2100 motor on system. Like I say V works fine but H it starts booking either E or W (whatever direction I told it to go)

At least one time, when I've switched my SG2100 from receiver to receiver, I've had to both reset the motor several times, and factory default my Merc II, before the two of them got "synched" . I, too, have the 1 button SG2100 (from Sadoun, a couple years ago ) . I did NOT have your specific symptoms, though. Good luck with it, Tony.
:)
[edit] By the way, I use nothing but USALS on the Merc II/SG2100 combo, so I don't know about any potential Diseqc 1.2 issues and the motor.
[edit2] When you reset the motor, make sure you power down the Merc II for a bit, so the motor is guaranteed a "power-cycle" startup. I'd do it a couple times.

i've read a lot on the Merc II and haven't heard of this problem

its one reason i have stuck to my coolsat 5000 ( i have two and a 6000 back up) cause they work flawlessly with my motors. even mixing usals & 1.2 no problems ( i've since made it all usals or all 1.2)

did you look and see if there are any combos of 1.2 & usals?? some receivers don't like it mixed

no mixes. Did a factory reset before I started. Logged in 93W as TS on 1.2, then went to 91 and repeated. Then when I went to 95 the main TP is H the motor moved and wouldnt stop. By the time I got it stopped it was over to around 123 or so..

I went back to the 5000

Have you set up multiple satellite names for the same satellite? Do you use channel editors to make Satellite/Transponder/Channel lists for either receiver? Channel editors are notorious for importing bizarre data .......

DiSEqC 1.2 positions are stored in the motor's memory, USALS commands are calculated by the receiver and issued to the motor each time a satellite position selection is made. Try performing a reset on the motor in the zero position and a factory reset of the receiver. This should clear up any communication issues.

Does the motor drive correctly in USALS mode? It would be interesting to log the DiSEqC commands to see if the problem is the incorrect issue of a DiSEqC command by the receiver or the incorrect memory setting of the motor.

Speaking as the official Fortec Star factory warranty repair center for North America, we have not previously heard of this type of issue.

Have you set up multiple satellite names for the same satellite?
nope
Do you use channel editors to make Satellite/Transponder/Channel lists for either receiver? Channel editors are notorious for importing bizarre data .......
nope. Unhooked the Coolsat 5000, hooked up the Merc II, did a complete factory rest on the Merc II and a paperclip reset on the SG2100 then started logging sats. Before that the Merc II was being used to aim dishes etc

DiSEqC 1.2 positions are stored in the motor's memory, USALS commands are calculated by the receiver and issued to the motor each time a satellite position selection is made. Try performing a reset on the motor in the zero position and a factory reset of the receiver. This should clear up any communication issues.
I'll try again but I know I did that yesterday. That paperclip rest took about 5 minutes to do as when I climbed on the ladder the neighbor was outside so we chit chatted

Does the motor drive correctly in USALS mode? It would be interesting to log the DiSEqC commands to see if the problem is the incorrect issue of a DiSEqC command by the receiver or the incorrect memory setting of the motor.
Normally I use USALS to get the motor in the vicinity and then Diseqc 1.2 to finish up and peak at the best. But my DBS LNB is off by 6 degrees so I have to use Diseqc 1.2
I dont remember if I tried USALS or not. I'll try later and see

It was just weird that when wanted to go to 95 or 97 to set the motor I would pick a H transponder (to move it there faster) and hit "move" but when I hit "stop" it wouldn't. Vertical worked fine. This is the newest factory software in it (the one that kinda cut the meter down a little bit to help aim dishes for weaker signals)

I just use USALs and lie to the receiver about the location of the satellite. About 3 degrees less longitude seems to get it lined up for the circular lnb strapped beside the linear.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)