microHD Development: Bug Reports and Firmware Fixes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok, I thought this was something I did wrong, but now I believe it's a bug. I have a Sandisk 8 gb thumbdrive plugged into the back of my micro for recordings (until I get another drive). I'm running July 6th firmware, and KU only at the moment. I record RTV "Wolfman Mac" and "Offbeat Cinema" every Saturday night as one long 4 hour timed program. The micro turns ON, and records. The next morning I get up, and the receiver is still ON!

So, it never automatically turns off after any timed recording for me. I have not as yet tested it with any other drive. This is the exact drive:

Amazon.com: SanDisk 8GB Cruzer Micro Skin Flash Drive: Electronics

Though when I bought it, it was only $12.95...

Ok, I thought this was something I did wrong, but now I believe it's a bug. I have a Sandisk 8 gb thumbdrive plugged into the back of my micro for recordings (until I get another drive). I'm running July 6th firmware, and KU only at the moment. I record RTV "Wolfman Mac" and "Offbeat Cinema" every Saturday night as one long 4 hour timed program. The micro turns ON, and records. The next morning I get up, and the receiver is still ON!

So, it never automatically turns off after any timed recording for me. I have not as yet tested it with any other drive. This is the exact drive:

Amazon.com: SanDisk 8GB Cruzer Micro Skin Flash Drive: Electronics

Though when I bought it, it was only $12.95...

Is the unit in standby before the record timer?

Was a Factory Reset done after the firmware update?

Was the drive formatted by the microHD?

What format is the drive?

At the completion of a recording, the microHD returns to the channel or the operation mode it was it prior to the timed event. If the receiver was in operate mode (not standby) before this timer event, then it would not go into standby st the completion of the timer event.

I would also suggest that another drive is tested.

Is the unit in standby before the record timer? NO, unit was turned OFF with the remote.

Was a Factory Reset done after the firmware update? YES, reset was done after.

Was the drive formatted by the microHD? NO, drive has default format which is Fat32.

What format is the drive? FAT32

At the completion of a recording, the microHD returns to the channel or the operation mode it was it prior to the timed event. If the receiver was in operate mode (not standby) before this timer event, then it would not go into standby st the completion of the timer event. Receiver was OFF (single red light on front) before recording. It turned itself on at 10pm to record, and did the recording. It then stayed on all night on the channel (RTV) that was recorded. I do not have "Standby mode" set up as of yet.

I would also suggest that another drive is tested. I will do so.

Please see my answers in RED above.

I'll have to try it too because I know I've had issues with the same thing Primestar mentions. Receiver wont power off after recording.

Will try more testing today

1st suggestion -- Format the thumb drive. Eject it, reinsert and reformat. Sansdiscs have a a problem at the 4 hour mark that seems to disappear with a double (I do triple) formatting. It take a few more minutes, but it saves me from headaches. I have done at least a dozen on the microHD and since I went back to the triple formatting I have not had failures. I have had one sansdisc fail - about 2 hours in, but that one was the first one on the microHD so it spooked me. All others so far have worked, and the failed one will not work on the HD, the computer, or the 1100c - It is a bad stick.

Not a "bug" but maybe something I'm not alone-with?

My MHD during setup goes from completely UNresponsive remote control to "one click and 3 to 5 moves" on many selected parameters. (like the TP list of satellites left/right and the selection of satellites. I've tried getting up within a foot of the receiver, dead-on and it makes no difference. Yes, I'm using original shipped batteries, (maybe a mistake) but, the red "send" indicator is bright red. This "jumping around" of the screen as the remote and receiver intermittently don't talk then "overtalk" to each other makes setup very difficult and annoying.

Thus far, in the satellites programmed, I've had zero freezing of video, no issues with recording to hard drive (external powered 1TB western digital) and rewinding of on-channel viewing. I just can't get a solid "feel" to key pressing on the remote and can't predict when the receiver will grab, not grab, or over-react to the IR signal.

Using the one update on the FW per all the recommendations here on this site.

All in all, MHD will certainly be many steps ahead in stability once programmed, but am I the only one with remote control quirks (aside from the one reported DOA in another thread or reply?)

Yea, same lag for me on mostly on the TP and motor set up menus. I don't think it is a IR communications problem, but seems more like the processor is very busy on these menus and gets behind on the IR commands. Other screens and channel changing seems ok.

I noticed that as well. Once it's set up, it seems smoother. I think you're 100 percent ON track with the reason.

On a related note, I want to find a small clear "bubble" of plastic to put over the receiving window in the hopes it will help with the angle from which the remote works by channeling the IR from wherever you sit into the pickup LED. Haven't found anything quite yet suitable with which to experiment. That's the only other issue for me thus far! (at about a 45 degree angle from straight on to the MHD IR pickup.)

I have no proof of this, but do the earlier ROKU boxes incorporate a built-in "wraparound" of plastic into the case for IR pickup no matter where the box-is or how it's mounted? (on first look the larger, early ones appeared to do this.) If that's what they did, I wonder if that concept couldn't help with these MHD boxes in the future! I think this is what ROKU did based on performance I have had with my early ones, their placement, and how they look physically! It looks like something channels the IR to the receiving pickup quite nicely from any of 3 sides excluding the rear.

Okay, maybe I'm nuts, but I'm pretty sure they did this! (or they have the best IR receiving pickup I've ever had.)

I too have noted the occasional remote lag and having to hold it "just right" to get it to engage. Doesn't bounce off walls and objects nearly as well as every other device remote I have.

I too have noted the occasional remote lag and having to hold it "just right" to get it to engage. Doesn't bounce off walls and objects nearly as well as every other device remote I have.

I thought that was one of the reasons for the increased memory? i have the lag problem also.
i do note however, sometimes , it does move fast...

I thought that was one of the reasons for the increased memory?

This is a value I got caught mis-understanding. The MicroHD specs sheet lists the memory as DDR2 1G Bit. 1gigabit=128MB about the same as what I had in my first 486 desktop computer.

Inside the Gekko I tested I found 2 Hynx chips rated at 1G Bit each. I thought wow 2 Gig of ram, but the Gekko specs lists the ram at 256 MB. Now I understand the difference.

HDMI just went haywire on my unit. I was 1 hour into a detailed scan from KU72 to KU125 when I started seeing red spots showing up on the area with the globe. A couple minutes after that I got a bunch of black horizontal lines and I lost the HDMI signal. Turning the TV off and on gave the same issue with black lines soI'm back to Composite and will need to check the HDMI settings on the box. It was updated to the latest firmware earlier today. The TV is a Toshiba 16:9 CRT that goes up to 1080i and was set to 1080i at the time.

The Toshiba remote also interferes with the microHD, seames to use the same volume signals but they do different things on the microHD. It doesn't appear to be a problem the other way around.

Cheers, Steve

Western Digital My Book Essential Usb 2.0 externally powered 750gb drive formatted NTFS via pc, pc says there is 698gb available. Plug it into the MicroHD, and re-format it as NTFS with MHD. MicroHD now says it only has 298.09 GB Total Size available space.. I ejected it from the MHD, and checked it on the pc, pc now also says it only has 298.09 gb of space.

So, the MHD essentially stole 400 gb's of space from my drive.

I'll continue to play with this, but it took hours to originally fully format this with my laptop, and I'm not looking forward to formatting it again.

Last edited:
weird...when I formatted my 500GB drive I had like 472GB available

Try and format it again on the Micro and see what happens

weird...when I formatted my 500GB drive I had like 472GB available

Try and format it again on the Micro and see what happens

I've formatted it 3 times now as NTFS with the Micro, and it's made no difference. I haven't tried converting to FAT, and then back to NTFS though. That might be worth a try..

Ok, I'm back. Nope, tried FAT, and the space went down to 298.01 GB!

Hold the phone, I'm back again.... Ok, after doing the above formatting to FAT, then back to NTFS, I ejected it from the Micro, and plugged it back into my laptop. Laptop said it had 698 GB again! So, I plugged it BACK into the Micro, and the Micro says it now also has 698.63GB.

Beats me, I'm scared to try formatting it via MicroHD again. Then again, it was only just plugged into the pc to check after the MHD formatted it from NTFS to FAT and back to NTFS again...

Hopefully Brian can follow all this, LOL.

Last edited:
I've formatted it 3 times now as NTFS with the Micro, and it's made no difference. I haven't tried converting to FAT, and then back to NTFS though. That might be worth a try..

Ok, I'm back. Nope, tried FAT, and the space went down to 298.01 GB!

Hold the phone, I'm back again.... Ok, after doing the above formatting to FAT, then back to NTFS, I ejected it from the Micro, and plugged it back into my laptop. Laptop said it had 698 GB again! So, I plugged it BACK into the Micro, and the Micro says it now also has 698.63GB.

Beats me, I'm scared to try formatting it via MicroHD again. Then again, it was only just plugged into the pc to check after the MHD formatted it from NTFS to FAT and back to NTFS again...

Hopefully Brian can follow all this, LOL.

Not even trying to follow.... HDD issues are next to impossible to track down and we probably wont unless there are numerous reports of repeatable problems with a specific brand and model of bare drives. Drives with automatic backup features, custom controllers and reserved areas are problematic on any DVR.

I would suggest starting a thread of drives along with the serial numbers of known drives that are compatible or have repeatable issues. Be aware that drives and controllers changes within models and even batches.

Not a "bug" but maybe something I'm not alone-with?

My MHD during setup goes from completely UNresponsive remote control to "one click and 3 to 5 moves" on many selected parameters. (like the TP list of satellites left/right and the selection of satellites. I've tried getting up within a foot of the receiver, dead-on and it makes no difference. Yes, I'm using original shipped batteries, (maybe a mistake) but, the red "send" indicator is bright red. This "jumping around" of the screen as the remote and receiver intermittently don't talk then "overtalk" to each other makes setup very difficult and annoying.

Thus far, in the satellites programmed, I've had zero freezing of video, no issues with recording to hard drive (external powered 1TB western digital) and rewinding of on-channel viewing. I just can't get a solid "feel" to key pressing on the remote and can't predict when the receiver will grab, not grab, or over-react to the IR signal.

Using the one update on the FW per all the recommendations here on this site.

All in all, MHD will certainly be many steps ahead in stability once programmed, but am I the only one with remote control quirks (aside from the one reported DOA in another thread or reply?)

Following-up on this note, if you have a learning-style remote control, like the PHILIPS SRP5107WM/17, (as mentioned in another thread already loaded with many of the codes from a similar FTA receiver) and you go through the "teaching" process, you'll likely find like I did that the MHD will respond better to remote commands. It would appear the "learning" remote is a stronger signal as it works better than the original from the location which gives the original some difficulty. I didn't try programming the remote for the "similar" FTA box, I prefer to customize the programmed buttons and go through the process myself to see the confirmation of the training.

The Philips had trouble learning a few exclusive functions like the TV/Radio and previous channel functions, but almost everything else was trainable and works better. There are still some quirks in how the MHD responds, but its a marked improvement at least in the strength of IR signal from off-sides.

That's the only remote I have handy--Can't report on other universals, but careful teaching to other universal units may smooth out the performance.

Still not complaining. My biggest goal is ENTERTAINMENT from my hobby. Not having seen even one freeze-up, or any of the other quirks my Openbox had is a huge change, a reliable recording mechanism, and the hope of ongoing development through suggestions here gives me quite a bit of optimism for this little "black box."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)