Microsoft (MSFT) XBox To Be Damaged By Death Of HD DVD

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) backed the wrong horse in the fight for high definition DVD disks and players. Redmond sided with Toshiba and its HD DVD platform and shipped the Xbox 360 with playback capacity for that platform. Sony (NYSE: SNE) backed the Blu-ray format which runs on the PS3.
Now that Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT), Best Buy (NYSE: BBY), and NetFlix (NASDAQ: NFLX) have walked away from HD DVD, the technology is likely to be pulled from the market. According to Reuters "We do not believe the recent reports about HD DVD will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace," the company said. The statement should inspire some confidence, it doesn't.
The XBox 360 has just lost and edge to PS3 in a market where it cannot give up an inch.
Douglas A. McIntyre

Link: Microsoft (MSFT) XBox To Be Damaged By Death Of HD DVD - MarketWatch

We shall see what Microsoft is going to do next.

Redmond sided with Toshiba and its HD DVD platform and shipped the Xbox 360 with playback capacity for that platform

huh? that article needs to check its facts, not one 360 shipped with the ability to play HD DVD, this wont hurt 360 sales at all...especially if the blu-ray add on comes true...I am sorry but the 360 is a quality device.

Yesterday, the local news (DC) reported HD DVD lost the format war and that it would likely impact sales of the XBox360 since HD DVD and Blu Ray are incompatible formats.:confused: I am a big PS3/BD supporter, but this wasn't the first news article of the day confusing the facts. Of course, the local news then went on to botch a story about the analog-digital converter box programs...they made it seem like everyone would receive coupons in the mail, didn't mention you would need to order these online, and made no mention that it only pertained to OTA.:(

Anyway, the XBox360 appears to be getting closely tied to HD DVD in the press. Microsoft needs to distance themselves HD DVD and release a BD add-on soon or risk losing significant market share.

huh? that article needs to check its facts, not one 360 shipped with the ability to play HD DVD, this wont hurt 360 sales at all...especially if the blu-ray add on comes true...I am sorry but the 360 is a quality device.

I feel that the longer Microsoft waits on a blu-ray add on, the more it will effect the sales of the 360. Now that there is one format, I would be more apt to buy a PS3 than a 360 if I was in the market for a gaming machine. Since I already have a 360, I will eventually buy a PS3 just for the blu-ray player. They must get in gear right now and come out with an blu-ray player add on. The 360 will suffer if MSFT does not.

Yes, but if the press is reporting the death of HD DVD and mentioning how the 360's HD DVD is not compatible with Blu-ray, and further mentioned how this will hurt sales of the 360 (see my above post)...then you have problems.

Sony would be wise to market BD in the PS3 and point out the 360 only supports a format losing HD DVD (for an additional cost). Likewise, Microsoft would be wise to release a BD add-on a quickly as possible and distance themselves from HD DVD. I agree that the death of HD DVD should not impact sales of the 360...however, most people listen to only sound bites in the news and media. If people associate the 360 with HD DVD then sales will be affected.

Well that reeks of ignorance.
No doubt. However, Sony would be foolish not to exploit how the PS3 comes with format winning Blu-ray, while the the 360 supports format losing Microsoft/Toshiba HD DVD. The experts have already predicted the PS3 will outsell the 360 this year...HD DVD losing the battle will only serve to increase the margin. If Sony were to shelve the PS2 and introduce a $249 40GB model with backward compatibility...the 360 may go the way of HD DVD.:confused:

Offhand, I can't figure why anyone would buy a Wii when they can have a premium game console like the PS3 or 360 for just a little more. Go figure!

The article should be "Sony trembling at the thought of BD for the 360"

Exactly, Another part of that press release Sony says that MS games are not true HD... and that up converted textures can never be true HD, But they are just as guilty of games that use less than 720p textures and are upscaled.

MotorStorm Does Not Support 1080p news from 1UP.com

I agree that Lost Odyssey having 4 disks is a bit excessive, But it proves that they are real HD games. I thought Sony execs were done making dumb statements like this. *shakes head*

Come on Sony, I had been bragging lately that you guys had turned the corner and stuff like this would not come out of your mouths anymore.

Mr. Softy and Sony should fear that their cutting edge game machines are getting their ass handed to them by the Wii.

However should MSFT add a Blu-ray drive to the 360 that just adds another revenue stream to Sony’s bottom line.

Mr. Softy and Sony should fear that their cutting edge game machines are getting their ass handed to them by the Wii.

However should MSFT add a Blu-ray drive to the 360 that just adds another revenue stream to Sony’s bottom line.

And their own because its encoded VC-1 anyway (a MS encoding)

Exactly, Its not like MS didn't already say they had a BD Drive ready to roll for May release.

MS is not a dumb company people.

But if we've proved anything through this format war, it's that most consumers are ignorant to the facts, so if the news is linking HD-DVD and Microsoft together, it can't be a good thing for them, even if they are making other plans.... not saying it will cripple them or anything, but it could have some negative effect in the short term.

Exactly, Another part of that press release Sony says that MS games are not true HD... and that up converted textures can never be true HD, But they are just as guilty of games that use less than 720p textures and are upscaled.

MotorStorm Does Not Support 1080p news from 1UP.com

Just for the sake of clarity, your post mentions "less than 720p" but the article you linked to says that MotorStorm runs in 720p. I know there are other games out there that run at less, but this doesn't appear to be one of them - just so we're on the same page. :D

Actually, since most people agree that the real money in gaming is in the software, the 360 is probably still the only one doing any real arse-handing...

But if we've proved anything through this format war, it's that most consumers are ignorant to the facts, so if the news is linking HD-DVD and Microsoft together, it can't be a good thing for them, even if they are making other plans.... not saying it will cripple them or anything, but it could have some negative effect in the short term.

Just for the sake of clarity, your post mentions "less than 720p" but the article you linked to says that MotorStorm runs in 720p. I know there are other games out there that run at less, but this doesn't appear to be one of them - just so we're on the same page. :D

Actually, since most people agree that the real money in gaming is in the software, the 360 is probably still the only one doing any real arse-handing...

Fair enough, I was looking for the article that had the break down where halo3 is like 620p and some of the Sony games were about the same.

My point was that Sony Is saying today (not in the past) that they are the only true HD game console.

It just shocks me that they keep saying things like this. I really thought they had turned the corner on stuff like this and were concentrating on making a better system for everyone.

From the Sony Press Release - "upscaling lower-resolution content does not make it Full HD (1080p), something that PS3 can do out of the box."

Fair enough, I was looking for the article that had the break down where halo3 is like 620p and some of the Sony games were about the same.

My point was that Sony Is saying today (not in the past) that they are the only true HD game console.

It just shocks me that they keep saying things like this. I really thought they had turned the corner on stuff like this and were concentrating on making a better system for everyone.

On that, I agree with you - just shut up and keep making better games...

...MS is a a very creative and motivated company, but they have had their stupid moments. Just ask Microsoft Bob.:)

LOL or the paper clip :p

Or Vista (in its current state)

I guess it just ruffles my feathers a bit how arrogant Sony is about the whole situation.

LoL, Well still will buy one when some Squaresoft RPGs are released :) I was just hoping since we hadn't heard one of these comments in a while from Sony (except the "We invented and popularized 1080p")

that they had turned the corner and were concentrating on getting great games out for their system, and not bashing on the competition. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)