Microsoft Surface 3: Bye-bye Windows RT!

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Last edited:
I wonder how the build quality is compared to the SP3. The latter is one well built device.

Here are some specs:
  • Screen size: 10.8"
  • Weight: 1.37 lbs
  • Dimensions: 10.52" x 7.36" x 0.34" (267mm x 187mm x 8.7mm)
  • Battery life: up to 10 hours of video playback
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1280 Full HD Plus
  • Aspect ratio: 3:2
  • Storage options: 64 GB and 128 GB
  • RAM: 2 GB or 4 GB
  • CPU: Intel Atom x7-Z8700
  • Touch: 10 point multi-touch, Surface Pen support
  • Network: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0
  • Broadband: Optional 4G LTE
  • Ports: Full-size USB 3.0, Mini DP, microSD, Micro USB charging port, Headset jack, Cover port
  • Cameras: 3.5 megapixel front-facing camera, 8.0 megapixel rear-facing camera with autofocus
Comes with 1-year of Office 365 Personal with 1TB OneDrive cloud storage.

I am going to have to go play with one. I am really liking Windows 10 and Apple Yosemite has been nothing but a headache with lots of bugs. Could be my next portable. :)

I will be getting one for travel. As long as it runs Adobe Lightroom reasonably well.

Pre-order is available starting today through Microsoft Stores, microsoftstore.com and select retailers, and it will be on sale beginning May 5 with availability in 26 markets by May 7. Before then, you can experience Surface 3 starting April 1 — every Microsoft store will have devices on hand to try.

Surface 3 is the first announced device to feature Intel's latest "Cherry Trail" Atom chips unveiled earlier this month. They are expected to offer twice the graphics performance compared to previous "Bay Trail" Atom chips.

Glad you like it, may have to try one too. Let us know if you find any major issues with it. Specs look nice.
Well, I don't know yet if I really like it or not. I haven't seen one in person yet. ;)
But all I've read so far sounds very promising. I may stop at a Microsoft Store tomorrow to check it out.

Just stopped at a Microsoft Store during the lunch break and checked out the new Surface 3. They had five of those on display! One of them was sitting right next to a 3 Pro so it was easy to compare them side-by-side.

My first impression is very positive! Compared to the Pro 3, the new Surface 3 is smaller, thinner and noticeably lighter. It also has a somewhat brighter display and surprisingly it felt colder to touch than the Pro, in spite of its fanless design. They didn't have too much software installed on the floor sample, but the Office Suite was pretty responsive and easy to use. I also played an HD video clip and the payback was smooth without any problems.

What impressed me the most was the new Type Cover keyboard! The 3 Pro keyboard is already surprisingly good for its size, but this one feels even better. It has a good travel, distinct click action and is less wobbly. Should be just fine for occasional typing on the road.

Overall, I think this is a perfect laptop/tablet ("laplet") for light use or travel when the Windows platform is required. Should be perfect for students. My only remaining concern about Surface 3 is how good the new Atom CPU is. Whether it's capable of running CPU-intensive software like Adobe Lightroom (so I could edit photos while traveling). I want to see some real-life use examples. Based on that I will decide on whether to go with this Surface 3 or to wait for the more expensive Surface Pro 4 coming out later this year.

Last edited:
Besides the obvious price difference, here are some other advantages I see for Surface 3 compared to the more expensive Surface Pro 3:
  1. Smaller and lighter construction
  2. Fanless design
  3. 4G LTE option
  4. MicroUSB charger, lighter power adapter.
  5. Better keyboard
  6. Longer battery life
  7. 1-year subscription to Office 365 included
Some of this will be likely addressed in the Surface Pro 4 later this year though.

Because I create ads, I wonder if there's enough oomph under the hood to run Adobe Creative Suite well. Also the screen seems a little small for doing graphic work. I use a five-year-old HP desktop replacement with a 15-inch screen and I don't think I'd like to sacrifice the screen real estate.

It’s not surprising to see the Windows RT platform die. IMO, there simply are not enough apps in the Windows Store to make it useful or a viable alternative to Android and iOS. There are no official Google apps, which for me is a huge loss, although the Hyper For YouTube app would probably still beat out a real Google YouTube app. With all of the cool features, advantages and upgrades done to Windows 8/8.1 over Windows 7, the Hyper For YouTube app is waaay better than using a web browser and worth it for that alone.

We are a Dell shop at work, when I first got a hired, I could have pushed for approval for a Surface Pro 3, but I bought myself (or should I say the company bought me) a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet instead, with the detachable cover and a bunch of accessories, used it for about two weeks, then ordered myself a real laptop. Not a fan of the whole tablet/laptop, convertible, two in one idea. Even when playing with my friends Surface Pro 2, the keyboard seemed flimsy and awkward to type on and I do not like the idea of no number pad.

The Venue isn’t much better and I couldn’t get the hang of using an active stylus as opposed to a real mouse. And if you’re using it as a laptop, get up, use the keyboard cover to cover the screen, take a few steps and the fold the cover back and use it as a tablet, when the keyboard is folded back, it’s nearly impossible to hold the thing without pressing a bunch of buttons. I eventually gave the tablet to one of the supervisors and he uses it solely as a digital notepad for Evernote. I’d much rather ‘lug’ (I put that in quotes because I fail to see why people complain about carrying a laptop that is a measly 10 lbs or so) around my 17” Precision M6800, with a real keyboard and real processor and dock for connectivity to two monitors or use a KVM switch to toggle between desktop and laptop.

Being a gadget guy and always into the latest (as long as it doesn’t have a logo of a fruit on it) and greatest, I feel like I should want a Surface, but I don’t care for all of these super thin and lightweight things. My Android tablet has always been a toy, and when I replace it in a few months with the Sony Z4, I will use that as a toy. As much as I would like to, I can never see myself owning a Surface type tablet and using it for real. At home I have a powerful Core i7 Ivy Bridge Extreme tower with 32 GB of RAM and dual 27”ers, at work an Ivy Bridge Core i7 for the desktop and Haswell i7 for the laptop with 16GB of RAM each and connected to dual 24”ers. I just cannot imagine doing anything but basic web surfing on one of these things..

Does anything Adobe run on 2GB (or even 4GB) of RAM?
Official Adobe hardware requirements: 2 GB of RAM minimum (8 GB recommended)
I think it will run with 4GB. The question is how slow it will be with the Atom x7 CPU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)