MLB 2010 Season

Fact is Torre's teams are always in the top of most innings pitched by the bullpens.

I watch the Dodgers every day and see him pull starters dominating games, making minimal pitches, with a lead, and see an overused relief pitcher blow it the next inning.

I listen or watch the broadcast of the opposing teams and listen to them criticize pitchers like Kershaw and Billingsley for not being able to go deep into games. They just look at the average innings pitched per start and don't realize it is not a matter of them not BEING ABLE to go deep into games; it is a matter of Torre not LETTING them go deep into games.
He's probably still use to having a automatic down there, named Rivera.

Actually, I think it's more than Torre.

The majority of the teams don't let thier pitchers finish what they started.

It the trend of the last 10 or so years, we HAVE to get the CLOSER in there.
Even when there's no reason to do so.
Also, another STUPID thing is this rule that the Closer can ONLY pitch the 9th inning.

Guess what happened in today's Dodgers game? Same old scenerio

Starter pitches 5 innings of shutout baseball and the opposing team never even threatens. Then comes along mister starter yanker, Torre. He pulls the starter with a lead with hardly any pitches thrown, after 5 friggen innings. And the bullpen then blows it in the 6th.

What in the heck can Torre possibly be thinking? I guess I will let my overused bullpen pitch the remaining 4 innings after my starter was still dominating. :rant:

A lot of statistical gurus beileve that it would be better to bring in your best short reliever when the immediate game situation requires it. If you are leading by a couple of runs but the bases are loaded in the seventh or eighth inning, that may be the best time to bring him in. As present, however, no team is willing to abandon the strategy of using the best short reliever as the ninth inning pitcher.

SabresRule said:
DodgerKing, look on the bright side- L.A. got the win.

At an expense to the bullpen. Not only did they pitch in the 6th and 7th when they didn't need to, they also pitched an additional 4 innings because it went extra innings. If Torre left the starter in, it probably finishes in 9.

This also effects future games

I'm a long-time lurker on this site but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed something else lately.

I'm a Directv subscriber who has both the Sports Pack and MLB Extra Innings package. I'm a Detroit Tigers fan living in Tennessee. The last couple days I've noticed I have been getting blacked out during episodes of Detroit Tigers Weekly. I thought this just may be a Directv error but I knew I'd get a better answer from Fox Sports Detroit if it was not. Surely enough Fox Sports Detroit told me that MLB is now cracking down on out-of-market weekly team news shows. This is ridiculous. What's next, blacking out the pre and post game shows for out-of-market fans, blacking out Spring Training games?

I'm a long-time lurker on this site but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed something else lately.

I'm a Directv subscriber who has both the Sports Pack and MLB Extra Innings package. I'm a Detroit Tigers fan living in Tennessee. The last couple days I've noticed I have been getting blacked out during episodes of Detroit Tigers Weekly. I thought this just may be a Directv error but I knew I'd get a better answer from Fox Sports Detroit if it was not. Surely enough Fox Sports Detroit told me that MLB is now cracking down on out-of-market weekly team news shows. This is ridiculous. What's next, blacking out the pre and post game shows for out-of-market fans, blacking out Spring Training games?

Is this happening on both EI as well as the RSN ?

From what I've always heard, you get the pre and post with the Sports Pack, not sure of the EI pack thou.

Is this happening on both EI as well as the RSN ?

From what I've always heard, you get the pre and post with the Sports Pack, not sure of the EI pack thou.

It's the weekly news show not the pre-game. It's only on the RSN (Fox Sports Detroit). It isn't aired on MLB EI (unless the game is in rain delay).

Suddenly, the Marlins have gotten hot! They went 7-3 in the current home stand against the Nationals, Rockies and Braves with 4 walk-off wins in 1 week!:cool:

Hmmm....does this means the Marlins are sellers before the trade dead line?

At an expense to the bullpen. Not only did they pitch in the 6th and 7th when they didn't need to, they also pitched an additional 4 innings because it went extra innings. If Torre left the starter in, it probably finishes in 9.

This also effects future games

And of course there is always the other side of the story...the one that doesn't get announced in a forum if it doesn't agree with your point. ;)

Yesterday Kershaw throws eight strong innings at the Mets, but he's pinch-hit for in the bottom of the eighth, and Torre brings in some guy named Jansen, pithing in his second game of the season (his first game of the season was the day before) to pitch the ninth inning of a 1-0 game. Good old #74 has to come in to face three of the Mets best hitters, Beltran, Bay and Davis.

I could feel the electrodes warming up on your computer, ready to skewer Torre if this guy blew Kershaw's game, but...he didn't. A popout and two strikeouts later, the Dodgers have the victory, and DodgerKing comes here to post...nothing.

This is what I mean about everybody being a genius the morning after. ;)

Sandra

And of course there is always the other side of the story...the one that doesn't get announced in a forum if it doesn't agree with your point. ;)

Yesterday Kershaw throws eight strong innings at the Mets, but he's pinch-hit for in the bottom of the eighth, and Torre brings in some guy named Jansen, pithing in his second game of the season (his first game of the season was the day before) to pitch the ninth inning of a 1-0 game. Good old #74 has to come in to face three of the Mets best hitters, Beltran, Bay and Davis.

I could feel the electrodes warming up on your computer, ready to skewer Torre if this guy blew Kershaw's game, but...he didn't. A popout and two strikeouts later, the Dodgers have the victory, and DodgerKing comes here to post...nothing.

Sandra

WHAT ????
Only the Morning AFTER ! :D

Big test for the Padres coming up. Seven games with the Dodgers over the next 11 days. If the Padres can do better than .500, they should win the NL West. Their schedule down the stretch is the easiest in the division.

Another day, another no hitter. Most in MLB since 1991. This time it is Matt Garza of the Rays. This time it is the Rays throwing the no hitter instead of being the team no hit.

Sandra
Each situation calls for a specific act. Kershaw needed to be pulled and I agreed with that move. His pitch count was up and the Dodgers did not score at all.

I am talking about scenarios in which they have the lead, no pinch hitter is need, the pitch count is still low, and the pitcher has yet to give up a run, and Torre still pulls him. It is these scenarios that occur much to often and more often than need, lead to losses.

Come on. We are talking about trends here. Torre pulls his starters out way to early on the average. That does not mean he ALWAYS pulls them out to early, nor does it mean that this occurs every single game. :rolleyes:

Each situation calls for a specific act. Kershaw needed to be pulled and I agreed with that move. His pitch count was up and the Dodgers did not score at all.

I am talking about scenarios in which they have the lead, no pinch hitter is need, the pitch count is still low, and the pitcher has yet to give up a run, and Torre still pulls him. It is these scenarios that occur much to often and more often than need, lead to losses.

Come on. We are talking about trends here. Torre pulls his starters out way to early on the average. That does not mean he ALWAYS pulls them out to early, nor does it mean that this occurs every single game. :rolleyes:

BREAKING NEWS

DodgerKing to be announced later today will be taking over as the Dodger's Pitching coach . :D:D:D:D:D

Welcome to the big time :D

NCAA Football on DirecTV for 10/23/2010

NCAA Football on DirecTV for 10/30/2010

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)