MLB 2012 Off Season News, Notes & Transactions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the home runs he gave up at Yankee stadium would be long outs at PNC.

He needs to get his era down since the pirates can't score like the Yankees.

The other side of that not only will Burnett finally be off the big stage, he'll be facing NL lineups instead of AL lineups. Big difference.

He won't need as many runs...I think he'll do fine in Pittsburgh.

Sandra

The other side of that not only will Burnett finally be off the big stage, he'll be facing NL lineups instead of AL lineups. Big difference.

He won't need as many runs...I think he'll do fine in Pittsburgh.

Sandra

IF that is the case, then explain him having a better record in Toronto than as a Marlin..where the park was bigger, yet he had a better record and ERA?

I just do not think there is a clear cut issue....he is just a serious case of "there is no specific issue" with him....

I just found some amazing stats on Burnett. He is the only pitcher ever to throw more than three wild pitches in a game EIGHT TIMES, and incredibly, all eight were recent, with four coming in 2009 and the other four in 2011. His 124 career wild pitches in 1960 innings puts him on a higher pace than all time leader Nolan Ryan, who needed 5386 innings to throw 277 of them. Nearly half of Burnett's wild pitches, 58 of them, came in his three seasons with the Yankees.

IF that is the case, then explain him having a better record in Toronto than as a Marlin..where the park was bigger, yet he had a better record and ERA?

I just do not think there is a clear cut issue....he is just a serious case of "there is no specific issue" with him....

More runs are scored in the AL than in the NL. Instead of a pitcher batting you have a DH batting.

AND two of the best hitters in the NL just moved to the AL.

The issue with Burnett in New York was that he clearly was unable to perform on the Big Stage of New York.

In Toronto they're talking Maple Leafs 24/7 with some Blue Jays thrown in. Dion Phaneuf can't go anywhere in Toronto without being mobbed, while Burnett was probably invisible there.

New York is a baseball city 24/7...one of the few cities where baseball is more important than football.

Sandra

More runs are scored in the AL than in the NL. Instead of a pitcher batting you have a DH batting.

AND two of the best hitters in the NL just moved to the AL.

The issue with Burnett in New York was that he clearly was unable to perform on the Big Stage of New York.

In Toronto they're talking Maple Leafs 24/7 with some Blue Jays thrown in. Dion Phaneuf can't go anywhere in Toronto without being mobbed, while Burnett was probably invisible there.

New York is a baseball city 24/7...one of the few cities where baseball is more important than football.

Sandra

But he ALSO faced AL batting lineups in Toronto...and faced Pujols when here.

I just found some amazing stats on Burnett. He is the only pitcher ever to throw more than three wild pitches in a game EIGHT TIMES, and incredibly, all eight were recent, with four coming in 2009 and the other four in 2011. His 124 career wild pitches in 1960 innings puts him on a higher pace than all time leader Nolan Ryan, who needed 5386 innings to throw 277 of them. Nearly half of Burnett's wild pitches, 58 of them, came in his three seasons with the Yankees.

There ya go... and he also lead the league in wild pitches 5 different seasons.

But he ALSO faced AL batting lineups in Toronto...and faced Pujols when here.

Ok, let's keep going around the circle. As stated in my first post, Toronto is a small stage he thrived on.

He is now going to a better pitching/weaker hitting league. I was answering cybok when I said he won't need as many runs as he did in NY.

Sandra

Ok, let's keep going around the circle. As stated in my first post, Toronto is a small stage he thrived on.

He is now going to a better pitching/weaker hitting league. I was answering cybok when I said he won't need as many runs as he did in NY.

Sandra
let's not. I think we all understand your point about ny being the bigger stage. No need to continue to hammer it in.

let's not. I think we all understand your point about ny being the bigger stage. No need to continue to hammer it in.

Actually I made a number of other Burnett points too that had nothing to do with NY, and was just discussing them in a friendly conversation with salsadancer.

Sandra

Actually I made a number of other points too

Sandra
yes but you continue to repeat one of your main points to ad nauseam. Understand that it's unnecessary and it will not convince others that your opinion is the right one. The same goes for who ever does the same to you. This will avoid the long arguments in circles that lead to nowhere.

Now let's get back on topic. Thanks

Looks like the plan for Cepedes in Oakland is pretty simple. Start him in the Bigs, HOPE he becomes a star and trade him for prospects in a couple years the way an investor buys a house, updates it and flips it for a profit.

I feel bad for the A's ...IF he becomes real good, the fans fall in love...the ownership trades him in before he becomes too expensive.

Rumors of the Cubs playing in US Cellular Field, home of the White Sox, in the the 2013 season when Wrigley gets a face lift, are picking up steam.

From NBC Chicago:
Workers at U.S. Cellular tell a different story (than the Cubs' denial). They say they are being warned of a much busier 2013 season (as in, prepare for double the games). (South Side) bar owners tell a similar story.
Again, the Cubs say they haven't thought that far ahead and that they are working on a plan to secure funds to renovate the stadium ahead of the 99th season there.

U.S. Cellular Field: Home of the Chicago Cubs? | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

If they can be safely upgraded modernized without losing their look & appeal,I see no reason why you can't continue to play at Wrigley Field & Fenway Park indefinitely.

royrdsjr said:
If they can be safely upgraded modernized without losing their look & appeal,I see no reason why you can't continue to play at Wrigley Field & Fenway Park indefinitely.

IMO those might be the only two ballparks that can get away with staying that long, dodger stadium might also. If Yankee stadium can come crumbling down than any could.

IMO those might be the only two ballparks that can get away with staying that long, dodger stadium might also. If Yankee stadium can come crumbling down than any could.

You somewhat have to wonder about both of them ...

Tiger Stadium, Wrigley and Fenway were all built within 2 years of one another.

I can't imagine what Tigers Stadium would be like to be in today.

You somewhat have to wonder about both of them ...

Tiger Stadium, Wrigley and Fenway were all built within 2 years of one another.

I can't imagine what Tigers Stadium would be like to be in today.

Don't forget the late Comiskey Park that was the oldest stadium at the time AND they HAD to tear it down to build the new stadium. You have to wonder why Wrigley & Fenway are still standing & Comiskey,Tiger Stadium,& Yankee Stadium had to come down. Maybe they should give Wrigley & Fenway national heritage status because,like it or not,they are unique national treasures & one of the few STILL STANDING.

Don't forget the late Comiskey Park that was the oldest stadium at the time AND they HAD to tear it down to build the new stadium. You have to wonder why Wrigley & Fenway are still standing & Comiskey,Tiger Stadium,& Yankee Stadium had to come down. Maybe they should give Wrigley & Fenway national heritage status because,like it or not,they are unique national treasures & one of the few STILL STANDING.

I agree. I hope they never come down. I have been to Wrigley but never to any of the other old stadiums. I want to some day go to Fenway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger holds share of lead in Abu Dhabi

RIP Gary Carter...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)