Monsters HD online petition

The scape-goat tactic. Dish is a sinking ship right now, and they're dying against the DirecTV competition. Instead of cutting 15 channels and "adding" 22 more, they should look at what the competition has to offer. D* has other things to offer in HD besides The Weather Channel, Bass Fishing, and Tennis. Sure, E* has a few movie channels, but come on, let's be serious here.. Don't ditch good channels for trash. It really boils down to "I'm sick and tired of being an overlooked niche". I'm a comic book collector; it's impossible to find any around here (there's one comic book store in the whole state). I'm a horror fan; if it's not mainstream (Freddy/Jason/Michael Meyers) it's impossible to find locally. There is nothing wrong with having niche tastes, and regardless of whether or not E* wants to see that, there's 230 people on that petition who will attest to it. I'm sure both parties would be willing to overlook personal differences if it meant money. Sounds to me like VOOM didn't read the contract too closely and Dish took advantage of them, not the other way around. "Our numbers are down, blame that 15 channel block and let's get rid of them." Besides, things like Tennis/Bubba's Bass Fishing/The Weather Channel make great filler. That way they can fill out the basic HD channels, and then get you into that upper bracket. Just like your signature, it's a classic bait and switch.

Iceboy, go troll some other thread.

The way I see it (as I've mentioned before, and on other threads): As it stands right now, we have 224 signatures. Voom channels were all in the top tier, so we assume each of these customers were paying the $20/mo on top of what they were already paying. Figuring in this fact alone, that's an extra $4,480 on a monthly basis. Yearly? $53,760 (I'm tired here, so correct me if there's an error in my math.) Now, assuming that these people all downgrade from the $20 to the $10, you're dividing by two: that's still $26,880 that they're losing out on. It may not seem like much, but when you're losing that much yearly over something you could be profiting heavily on, that's still a big chunk of change. And it's been mentioned several times: Dish is a business. Sure, I'll go with that -- but isn't the objective of any business PROFIT? Especially easy profit? All they have to do is flip a switch, charge the subscriber, and pocket the money monthly. Trust me, from a business standpoint, if it was that easy to make $26,000 a year just by sitting on your ass, you'd do it.

I guess it is how you look at I am sure Dish knows how many people subscribe to the HD Ultimate and how many have HD Essentials and also HD only pack and then you have to figure only a certain percentage who have the ultimate and HD only value the Voom channels. Next you have to consider how many new subscribers Dish will get with them now saying we just added 22 new main stream HD channels (granted they may only have a small percentage of HD content) but they now have the channels the average Joe has heard of and has watched before. I am sure the number is higher for new subscribers then current ones who may or may not leave. I had the 20.00 hd pack only because there was not a option at the time but when there was a option I switched to the lower package. My own personal choice I did not need the voom channels not to say they are not valuable just not to me they were not. I am all for every one being happy but if taking away Voom to add more HD channels that may appeal to the average Joe meaning more new subscribers = more money for Dish to hopefully add even more HD programming and not to mention more money for the networks to mabey add more true HD programming.

I think a lot of viewers were lost during the writers strike. I stopped watching! But when Monsters returned to their routine programming lineup, I came back. What a shame. Chiller is just awful. I no longer watch SciFi bc it is so loaded with commercials. I am another subscriber who may just go back to cable. I put up with the frequent signal loss bc I could get the Voom channels (esp. Monsters) on Dish. The new HD lineup has nothing of interest other than Smithsonian, but I cannot watch that nonstop like In did Monsters HD. I did go and sign the petition, but how often do these petitions change anything?

The scape-goat tactic. Dish is a sinking ship right now, and they're dying against the DirecTV competition. Instead of cutting 15 channels and "adding" 22 more, they should look at what the competition has to offer. D* has other things to offer in HD besides The Weather Channel, Bass Fishing, and Tennis. Sure, E* has a few movie channels, but come on, let's be serious here.. Don't ditch good channels for trash. It really boils down to "I'm sick and tired of being an overlooked niche". I'm a comic book collector; it's impossible to find any around here (there's one comic book store in the whole state). I'm a horror fan; if it's not mainstream (Freddy/Jason/Michael Meyers) it's impossible to find locally. There is nothing wrong with having niche tastes, and regardless of whether or not E* wants to see that, there's 230 people on that petition who will attest to it. I'm sure both parties would be willing to overlook personal differences if it meant money. Sounds to me like VOOM didn't read the contract too closely and Dish took advantage of them, not the other way around. "Our numbers are down, blame that 15 channel block and let's get rid of them." Besides, things like Tennis/Bubba's Bass Fishing/The Weather Channel make great filler. That way they can fill out the basic HD channels, and then get you into that upper bracket. Just like your signature, it's a classic bait and switch.

Yeah man, sinking ship. 13 mil + subscribers.

290 on the petition, thats about 0.0021044992743105948% of the customer base READY TO WALK!

They are dying a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slow death. And YOU did it man, congrats! They should be in the ground, dead, by at LEAST, the year 2814.

Go get 'em!

Iceboy, go troll some other thread.
not the brightest move to say that to a staff member :rolleyes:

And it's been mentioned several times: Dish is a business. Sure, I'll go with that -- but isn't the objective of any business PROFIT? Especially easy profit? All they have to do is flip a switch, charge the subscriber, and pocket the money monthly. Trust me, from a business standpoint, if it was that easy to make $26,000 a year just by sitting on your ass, you'd do it.

Dish feels they have other programming and transponder space that can be used in a better way :)

Here is a bump for Voom. Dish could at least warned us. I joined dish programming wise for Monsters anf the NFL channel. At least give a choice to subcribe to Voom. If you do like them do not buy them... simply.

And I feel speed Hd would be a waste of transponder, as well as world fishing. But I did not bash them, you like them.. fine dish offers them.. fine. All I am saying if you dislike Voom, fine.. just as I dislike your ones I listed. I Persomal only watched 4 of the 15. But how many packages of useless(to me) channels am I stuck with now! It is a matter of your prospective. If We want to waste our time let us.

I know I feel like a jerk today. A friend of mine got a new HDTV for Christmas and was trying to decide which sat company to sign up with. He was leaning toward DirecTV but I talked him into Dish because he's a big horror fan and they had Monsters. Yesterda he called me asking WTF was up. I felt like a total heel having to tell him the channel was dropped and not coming back and that he was stuck with Dish now unless he wanted to break his contract and pay the piper. :(

I know I feel like a jerk today. A friend of mine got a new HDTV for Christmas and he was going back and forth between DirecTV and Dish, trying to decide who to go with. I talked him into Dish because of MonstersHD as he's also a big horror fan. He loved the channel and called me yesterday asking WTF was up. I hated having to tell him that they dropped the channel (and others) and that he's stuck with Dish unless he wants to break his contract. :(

Same happened to me, my friends were looking for the NFL channel and They loved monstersHD. The only wanted AT100 with HD. The signed up. A few months later no NFL( pay me if you want it) and now no Monsters HD. I got the same calls man.

I know I feel like a jerk today. A friend of mine got a new HDTV for Christmas and was trying to decide which sat company to sign up with. He was leaning toward DirecTV but I talked him into Dish because he's a big horror fan and they had Monsters. Yesterda he called me asking WTF was up. I felt like a total heel having to tell him the channel was dropped and not coming back and that he was stuck with Dish now unless he wanted to break his contract and pay the piper. :(

I know this feeling. Years ago I got my brother-in-law interested in Dish then all of a sudden the Yankees (his favorite team) started their own channel. YES. Boy was he pissed that Dish did not pick them up. He left as soon as his original contract was up. I am lucky as I just happen to be a Mets fan.

A friend of mine was just about to make the jump to Dish HD because of several Voom channels. Now he is just about to make the jump to Direct.

Voom may have needed that good swift kick in the a** and maybe they will learn a lesson and give more towards new programming. I am already missing Monsters and Rave. I hope they return soon.

I hope some sort of riot starts over this at Team Summit today. Scott will please tell the powers that be how many unhappy folks there are around here.

All they have to do is flip a switch, charge the subscriber, and pocket the money monthly. Trust me, from a business standpoint, if it was that easy to make $26,000 a year just by sitting on your ass, you'd do it.
Trust me $26,000 a year isn't Jack ,when your business makes Billions. Do the math Dish average customer spends about $70 per month, Thats $840 per year Divide that by your $26,000 that equals about 31 subscribers. With Over 13 million your going to tell me or anyone else here that $26,000 from a Billion dollar company its hitting them hard, Your out of your mind. $26,000 almost an't squat in my $300,000 a year business. Do you honestly think I wouldn't be able to eat if I only made $274,000 this instead of $300,000? You got it right Dish is looking at this. As the best move they ever made. $26,000 won't even turn the lights on. I'll miss Monsters HD But I'm not Downgrading my service because they dropped a package that should have left years ago. And this petition is so unprofessional with the double signatures! Just because you and your wife liked it . You both aren't getting a bill from E*. 1 per household.

Trust me $26,000 a year isn't Jack ,when your business makes Billions. Do the math Dish average customer spends about $70 per month, Thats $840 per year Divide that by your $26,000 that equals about 31 subscribers. With Over 13 million your going to tell me or anyone else here that $26,000 from a Billion dollar company its hitting them hard, Your out of your mind. $26,000 almost an't squat in my $300,000 a year business. Do you honestly think I wouldn't be able to eat if I only made $274,000 this instead of $300,000? You got it right Dish is looking at this. As the best move they ever made. $26,000 won't even turn the lights on. I'll miss Monsters HD But I'm not Downgrading my service because they dropped a package that should have left years ago. And this petition is so unprofessional with the double signatures! Just because you and your wife liked it . You both aren't getting a bill from E*. 1 per household.

I figured this would turn into a flame war soon enough. Just because a household gets one bill doesn’t mean that there’s only one person that’s not satisfied with the pulling of the channel. Monsters was obviously a popular channel and seems to have somewhat of a cult following as I’ve seen enough threads about it on these and other boards. As far as I know there’s NO rule that states who can and who can not sign a petition to express their dissatisfaction regardless of how “unprofessional” it is. Based on your theory I suppose it would be okay with you to allow the government to pass a bill that only allows one presidential vote per household.

People have every right to downgrade their package or leave because of this. Do you think I want Tennis HD, or the f*cking fishing channel in HD? And for Dish to even dare compare Chiller with Monsters. Please… I’m not that big of an idiot! I tried watching the pan and scan edited for TV version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 last night but got tired of sitting through two 10 minute commercials for Super Grass Seed and Mighty Putty!

not the brightest move to say that to a staff member :rolleyes:
I don't care if you're Jesus himself, unless you have something useful to say, stay out of it.

Dish feels they have other programming and transponder space that can be used in a better way :)

Oh yes, The Fishing Channel is definately a better use of their satellite bandwidth. It all makes sense now...

I would sign if I could get it without having to upgrade to UltimateHD. Otherwise, let it rot in hell. MUUUUHHHHAAAHAAA!

I figured this would turn into a flame war soon enough. Just because a household gets one bill doesn’t mean that there’s only one person that’s not satisfied with the pulling of the channel. Monsters was obviously a popular channel and seems to have somewhat of a cult following as I’ve seen enough threads about it on these and other boards. As far as I know there’s NO rule that states who can and who can not sign a petition to express their dissatisfaction regardless of how “unprofessional” it is. Based on your theory I suppose it would be okay with you to allow the government to pass a bill that only allows one presidential vote per household.
>
People who have never operated their own business (or have even been in a managerial position) tend to not understand the financial situation here. Even when you work for a mega-conglomerate like Best Buy, there's always that pressure to get the store to make more money. It doesn't matter if you're doing a million dollars in sales a day; your district manager wants you to best that by 10%. Dish is no different. They need money to stay in business, and even though something like $26,000 isn't going to really make a dent in their books, I can guarantee that if they take that hit in their profits, they'll notice. Being in business is all about making money, and if you're already a fairly established company, then it's about making more money. Office drones who sit in their cubicles don't seem to understand that.

People have every right to downgrade their package or leave because of this. Do you think I want Tennis HD, or the f*cking fishing channel in HD? And for Dish to even dare compare Chiller with Monsters. Please… I’m not that big of an idiot! I tried watching the pan and scan edited for TV version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 last night but got tired of sitting through two 10 minute commercials for Super Grass Seed and Mighty Putty!

Absolutely, and I think more people should downgrade because of it. WHen I look at the HD lineup, there's really nothing there I'd watch except the HD movie channels (DiscoveryHD comes with the standard package). A company like this isn't going to understand just words, they're going to understand numbers. Whether it's VOOM's or Dish's fault, I'm sure if they take an uncomfortable enough financial hit, they'll look at a renegotiation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts