More BD releases in Feb then HD-DVD all 2007?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
While I do not agree with this article as it is only reporting on what has been announced it does show the strength of BD over HD-DVD -- Choice!

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/02/0...-continue-to-announce-dates-for-blu-ray-titl/

By the end of March it would not be impossible to see that BD could have as much as 75% to 80% of all high def movie sales. Especially if the BD studios keep increasing their releases.

I can't stop smiling with all this great BD news. You guys should go ahead and sell you HD DVD players on ebay to make at least a little money before you go buy that BD player.

Cheers
Why do that have the best of both worlds! You really don't like HD DVD's clarity?

Current titles show that there is no HD-DVD advantage in PQ. At least none that any reviewer has pointed out.

Current titles show that there is no HD-DVD advantage in PQ. At least none that any reviewer has pointed out.

Well this is not really true. Depends on what people like. I really LOVE the clarity on HD DVD. The grainy look of Blu ray kinda defeats the purpose for me. Not all tittles but most.

Well this is not really true. Depends on what people like. I really LOVE the clarity on HD DVD. The grainy look of Blu ray kinda defeats the purpose for me. Not all tittles but most.

Warner has shown that you can produce exactly the same video on HD DVD and BD. They use the same VC-1 file on both formats.

Other studios may choose to be cheap and produce overcompressed MPEG-2 movies but it has nothing to do with Blu-Ray, they could put the same MPEG-2 files on HD DVD with the same results (if they chose to release in HD-DVD).

HD-DVD supporting studios have done a lot better with their titles. They have taken the time and invested the money to produce high quality transfers with good compression. They use the same when they produce Blu-Ray (those that do both formats).

Warner has shown that you can produce exactly the same video on HD DVD and BD. They use the same VC-1 file on both formats.

Other studios may choose to be cheap and produce overcompressed MPEG-2 movies but it has nothing to do with Blu-Ray, they could put the same MPEG-2 files on HD DVD with the same results (if they chose to release in HD-DVD).

HD-DVD supporting studios have done a lot better with their titles. They have taken the time and invested the money to produce high quality transfers with good compression. They use the same when they produce Blu-Ray (those that do both formats).

Thats the point thank you thats what i wanted to say!!:up

</IMG>

If microsoft had included the HD DVD in the xbox360 and sold it for $600, like the ps3, than HD DVD format would have a year head start on the Blu-ray.

Myself, I can't wait for recordable blu-ray to hit the main market so I can back up my Vip622s and my pc data. 25 an 50gig is going to be nice.

I can't stop smiling with all this great BD news. You guys should go ahead and sell you HD DVD players on ebay to make at least a little money before you go buy that BD player.

Cheers

I second that. Blu-ray and the ps3 can use some positive feedback.

The new EGM (Formerly Electronic Gaming Monthly) magazine has a cover picture of a PS3 with a tomato smashed against it, with a tagline "What went wrong with the PS3 launch..."

It seems it isn't just us slamming them.....

AS for the XBox360 not having a HD DVD drive.... when the console was released in 11/2005 they hadn't yet finalized the HD DVD spec.....

What went wrong with the launch? More PS3s were sold then XBOX360s during the same launch window. No PS3s were returned for overheating, chewing up discs, locking up or locking down. Sony said they would continue to deliver product to stores and after December the 1st product hit the shelves every week. And there is still product on shelves if folks want one. Sony has delivered over 2 million units since lauch. M$ did not do that until when-- April or May after the XBOX360 launch. And to top it all off the BD player in the PS3 is not a stepchild but a fully functioning BD player. Just what went wrong with the launch?

Well, if you always believe everything everyone tells you then you would of believed Sony when they said they were going to deliver 4 million at launch. Name one product in the last 10 years that launched with 1\4th that number?

Then if you believed that the PS3 was going to be the end all to all consoles -- with only one AAA title ( how long did it take for the XBOX360 to get one of theses?) and some very bad EA ports (does any company do worse the EA on porting games?) and with some titles being pushed back to March to June timeframe (remind me, how many decent games launched with the 360?) then the launch was a bust for you.

But, if you wanted a PS3 and were lucky to get one and had a HDTV you found the BD movies releasing at the same time very entertaining with great PQ and great PCM sound. You also found a free online service that will get better over time. (Sorry, its not XBOXLIVE but then it hasn't been out for 3 years) And you probably enjoyed every PS2 title you owned (at least 90 % with a very few bugs in some -- how many XBOX games does the 360 play -- about 45 and its been over a year?)

No, the launch was not as good as it could have been, if it had been any better M$ would be dropping the price on the 360 as I type. But they are not. The PS3 is doing just fine. And we are not going to wait a year for a hugh hit (MOTORSTORM anyone?) just 3 months. Of course lets not forget R:FOM and 40 on-line at a time play with no lag for free (What -- XBOXLIVE can not do that?)

Reguardless of what EGM prints -- the PS3 is doing just fine. Sony is on target to deliver 6 million units worldwide by the end of March (something at lauch time no one would of believed) and BD movie sales is exceeding and expanding their lead over HD-DVD sales. And Sony's stock value and profit margin has been readjusted up this month - even though they are losing on every PS3 sold?

What was this about -- o yeah -- the bad PS3 launch?

Decent games launched with the 360....

Call of Duty 2
Project Gotham Racing 3

Putrid EA port - Madden 06

Underwhelming titles that were SUPPOSED to be killer apps - Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo

Better than they were made out to be - King Kong - a little repetitious and short, but fighting 3 "V rexes" and busting their jaws was fun. Easiest 1000 gamerpoints to earn too..... Bonus for the alternate "happy ending" where Kong doesn't die.... (available as an unlockable extra)

Also, I wasn't saying that the PS3 had major problems, only that none of them seem to be able to displace the PS2. Evidently cost is a bigger factor than pundits realized as demand is flagging as the EBay effect is now gone.... Publishers are also whining that the attach rate is low (people flipping them on EBay didn't buy any games with it evidently).

The article is about an interview with a Sony bigwig who defends against the criticism. Some he deflects well, others he doesn't. He keeps trying to come back to "but our online service is free", when the interviewer keeps bringing up shortcomings vs. XBox live....

For once I agree with everything you have said Bob. I can only hope that Sony directs their online service towards what XBOXLIVE has been doing -- very successfully I might add. I think that starting in March with Motorstorm , F1, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk (some of these titles might not be seen till late summer) and the European/Aussie launch of the PS3 I think the PS3 will start to gain some traction. It really is a very nice -- trouble free system.

I am still waiting to see if M$ brings the XBOX360 w/HD-DVD and HDMI to the US in March. If I buy a 360 (and I had both the PS2 and XBOX) then that is the unit I would want to purchase. I think I would really like Mass Effect -- that is my type of game. I do shooters on my PC and I like Hack and Slash and also platformers on my consoles.

For once I agree with everything you have said Bob. I can only hope that Sony directs their online service towards what XBOXLIVE has been doing -- very successfully I might add. I think that starting in March with Motorstorm , F1, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk (some of these titles might not be seen till late summer) and the European/Aussie launch of the PS3 I think the PS3 will start to gain some traction. It really is a very nice -- trouble free system.

I am still waiting to see if M$ brings the XBOX360 w/HD-DVD and HDMI to the US in March. If I buy a 360 (and I had both the PS2 and XBOX) then that is the unit I would want to purchase. I think I would really like Mass Effect -- that is my type of game. I do shooters on my PC and I like Hack and Slash and also platformers on my consoles.

There are rumors about a Black XBox360 coming out with a 120 GB hard drive and an HDMI output.... Still no confirmation, but they need to o something to maintain their market share in the next gen wars.... On the really bright side, Halo 3 is now 9 months away. They'll sell another 2 million consoles on that title alone....

They'll sell another 2 million consoles on that title alone....

I think there may be overestimation of the console selling power of Halo. It worked great for the original Xbox which was an unknown entity until Halo. But how many Halo fans are out there that are waiting 2 years to buy a next-gen console simply because Halo 3 isn't out?

And how many people are going to be persuaded to buy an Xbox after 2 years by a 3rd generation Halo game?

The only hope I personally see for MSFT is that they come out with a new rev XBOX w/larger HD and HDMI and either bundle it or build 1080P (has it been announced?) into Halo3. That alone will get some original owners to resell their Xbox360v1 and buy the new one.

Otherwise, I personally think Halo 3 took too long and Sony will have established traction as a fresher, newer, "hipper" system by the time Halo3 comes out. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see that MSFT has a marginal (2 million) lead over Sony by Halo 3 release and that the lead all but evaporates by start of 2008, even with Halo3 out.

But then again - I ain't a video game analyst, market analyst, or anything else. I'm just an engineer that makes beer... I guess that makes me an expert at predicting video game sales! :)

Chris

Until Gears of War came out, Halo 2 was STILL the biggest traffic generator on XBox Live. This is shocking considering it has been 2.5 years since it came out.....

Combined with expected Christmas incentives, I think it WILL help a ton of units.... 2 million may be overambitious, but for many who can't play XBox3 otherwise, it will force them to finally ditch the big XBox brick....

PR: Consumers Overwhelmingly Choose “Blu”

Ten layer discs for both formats

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)