More Good News from VOOM

Fry's would suck here in Oregon, they display crappy analog video images on their HD sets and they still fly out the doors. They are no different than other big mega stores, the salespeople are just as clueless as anywhere else.

justalurker said:
It isn't over until VoomDBS LLC gets its financing ... and the Cablevision board signs the definitive agreement (before Feb 28th). This is a temporary reprieve.

OK, now back to the maniac screams. :D

JL

Hey Sean or Scott,

Can one of you guys check justalurkers negative to positive post ratio?
If it's over 2:1 can you ban him?

Lobstah said:
I think BestBuys are locked up by Direct...as was posted earlier.
Fry's would be good...too bad they're mostly West coast, where it's more difficult to shoot the bird. I spend time in a BB this afternoon...and was surprised that there were 4 Direct/Tivo demo stations set up...not a one was being watched by a customer, and the "HomeTheater" section was packed. Amazing how many people were oooooooing and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahing over really terrible pictures on sets ;)

Lob

Lob

Lob

One way for Voom to sneak into BB or CC is to make an arrangement with all TV manufacturers carried by BB and CC to include a free "up to 3 room install" coupon with the HDTV. Have the offer printed on the box to read "see details inside owners manual packet"

Positive Reinforcement

:eek:
r.jones1116 said:
Shouting fire in a crowded theater would be a bad thing, a negative comment in some people's eyes. But if the theater really is on fire it is just reality. It isn't my fault that reality is contrary to the euphoria. :rolleyes:

And if you look in to it you may find my posts to be generally positive. I want VoomHD to succeed. It seems to be a decent service that is well liked. Or should I say loved. It seems like many people have drunken the Kool-Aid and joined the cult of Voom believers more than simple appreciation of Voom service.

I came here to follow the news of the sale of Rainbow 1, the frequencies at 61.5 and the SD uplink center. I found a sea of disbelief that the sale even happened. Every wild theory of how Voom could stay in business was presented and praised - with the facts seeming optional for anyone writing in favor of Voom.

I'd rather be judged on accuracy than whether the message is pro- or anti- Voom. I don't set out to be "negative", and I have made (even before Thursday's announcement) several "positive" posts about how Voom can survive without space at 61.5 . In any case, I have stuck with participating to learn more about the deal as well as point out obvious decrepancies with the truth despite numerous personal attacks.

The hurdles are there - and despite any "positive" or "negative" opinion about whether those hurdles will be cleared they bear noting - lest this becomes an effort in deluding oneself.

We are now entering Sunday. For those reading who have a religious base you may wish to pray for the outcome of the proposal made by VoomHD to Cablevision. For those without a religious base you can hope with all your might. :) In any case, Mr Dolan could use your prayers (or warm thoughts as the case may be) to complete the deal.

My interest is pretty much done as the letter of intent confirmed that the assets at 61.5 and the uplink center were still going to Echostar. But I still look forward to seeing Mr Dolan and VoomHD pull off the deal. :)

JL

Justalurcker, did you mean to say this...:

"My interest is pretty much done as the letter of intent confirmed that the assets at 61.5 and the uplink center were still going to Voom. But I still look forward to seeing Mr Dolan and VoomHD pull of the deal."

"still going to VOOM."? Do I assume you meant going to Dish Network?

While I have found your posts on the negative side of reality I do appreciate you adding some reality to the posts here on VOOM.

Yes, we "love" VOOM never having had either cable or satellite service before but have largely ignored all the speculation on VOOM's future outside of giving Chuck some positive feedback. Certainly, I have no special knowledge of VOOM's future but hope for the best.

In reality I'm more of a music lover as I've been listening to the LAGQ and currently the Grand Canyon Suite on a new Naxos SACD this evening as I type this.

So, still enjoying HDTV but listening to the music as well under clearing Seattle skies, Gill

r.jones1116 said:
Hey Sean or Scott,

I do not think it merits a banning. I do appreciate what justalurker brings to the table (another perspective). He is not confrontational in his posting (once it was heading this way, but we warned everyone involved and I was happy to see that everyone complied) but he brings the other side of the coin. We may not like what he has to say but it brings rational thinking into the table. I do not have a problem with that. The best way to counteract him or anybody is to debate logically and rationally his points. As long as there is no attacking of individuals and trolling in every thread with the same posting, I do not see a problem with someone posting the other side of the coin as long as it is rational and logical.

Back to topic...

I thnk the announcement simply is a confirmation that they're still pursuing the expansion plans for next month that they announced (70 HD channels, ect.). After all the "voom doomed" press coverage in the last weeks, they need to tell customers some good news.
How would they get the extra capacity? Three possibilities:
1) Start using AMC6
2) Migrate to MPEG4
3) A combination of 1 & 2

Walter L. said:
I thnk the announcement simply is a confirmation that they're still pursuing the expansion plans for next month that they announced (70 HD channels, ect.). After all the "voom doomed" press coverage in the last weeks, they need to tell customers some good news.
How would they get the extra capacity? Three possibilities:
1) Start using AMC6
2) Migrate to MPEG4
3) A combination of 1 & 2

I checked Lyngsat again today along with MPG project and neither are showing any activity on AMC6. You would think some testing would be going on. :confused:

As Scott said in an earlier post to some of the negative posters here, the deal for financing is done or the announcement would never have seen the light of the public press. The reason for the announcement before the final agreement was signed was also expressed well. It was to hold on to existing subscribers and encourage those on the fence to make the final jump before the current promotion is expected to end March 1st.

The Dolan's don't do things on the fly. As businessmen they have to have a clear vision and have their ducks all in a row. I think they have done that. Their announcement made a few more dollars for Cablevison investors and also sent a signal to the industry that senior Dolan still has a vision and at least of of his son's, shares that vision and will continue it. As I mentioned in a previous post, I would hope Scott and Sean would invite Tom Dolan as VOOM CEO to participate in a chat. I have not heard anything from either if that is being contemplated. It certainly could not happen until after the definitive agreement is signed. This is reality...not created out of a figment of imagination of what someone thinks reality is.

It is Sunday...Praise the Lord for the good news according to C. & T. Dolan.

r.jones1116 said:
Hey Sean or Scott,

I saw it posted somewhere that the VOOM forum here was like a religion. Now it's entered the inquisition phase.

"Ban the blasphemers who dare to question the viability of our lord VOOM."

mdonnelly said:
I saw it posted somewhere that the VOOM forum here was like a religion. Now it's entered the inquisition phase.

Quite the opposite, my friend. The VOOM Forum is here to post valid questions and comments about VOOM service in the hope of making it a better experience for subscribers and potential subscribers; nothing more, nothing less. There is hardly a VOOM Forum member who hasn't blasted the service at some point in the past...or present for that matter. Do you even have VOOM or are you considering VOOM? If you're a former subscriber and were dissatisfied with the service, just post your comments and leave; they will be available for others to see. If you are not a VOOM subscriber nor are you considering VOOM, then perhaps you need to seriously question your motives for posting at this Forum?

Perhaps your time would be better spent over at the AVSFORUM or DBSTALK where there is an amply supply of VOOM Haters. These are the people who are cult like and full of religious zeal. Each full moon they gather aboard a sea vessel, cover themselves with grape jelly, and dance naked under a full moon while singing an anti-VOOM chantey. At least that's what I hear. :rolleyes: (P.S. only joking!!!...about the grape jelly :D )

mdonnelly said:

that is your opinion if you look at it this way. After all it is a VOOM forum and it is expected to be over zealous by some VOOMERS. Just the same happens at the DirecTv or DishNetwork forums.

However, we moderators, are well aware that it is not good for potential customers or current customers or the general public. We need to bring all the information negative or positive to the open. This is why we strive to get the SEC filings, the FCC filings and are always looking to bring the news as it happens.

I myself really though that (and was one of the first to say), VOOM is doomed after the sale of Rainbow 1. It is all well documented. I still have my doubts despite all the good things that I have been hearing (which are not published anywhere). This all because to me whether it is VOOM or anybody that brings more HD content, is what really matters and where my entertainment money will go.

In the past few years I have bought 2 HDTVS rear projectors and one plasma EDTV. In order to get the most HDTV possible (within my budget), I had to subscribe to 3 services - VOOM, Dish Network and Cable. Whether you or anybody think it is a religion to be an HD fanatic, maybe it's true. I do not care about the brand, I care about the HD. It could be anybody. When I decide to use my entertainment money, I use it to whomever gives me the most for my bucks. If D*, E*, C* or anybody else decides to enhance their HD line up, this is where the shift of money will go. I have done this already. I used to subscribe to all premiums on Dish Network and since they did not add Starz HD, TMC HD, Encore HD, Cinemax HD, I thought that I was cheated since VOOM was providing them. I shifted the budget in the Voom direction.

The same shift could happen again if anyone is willing to shut up and deliver the most HD. If Verizon (the emerging technology) delivers, you will see that I will re-evaluate my budget and sure will go with whomever provide me the best HD possible.

Of course, not everybody is like me. There are other factors that others looks (such as SD channels) when others look for providers.

Back to your original comment, if you want to look for fanatics that are biased towards one provider, you should start reading the AVS HD programming forum. It was why I decided to not participate over there. I tried to go over there and post information that I thought it was useful about the service and all I got was a bunch of D* users who bashed me and my post and thought I was somehow trying to take over their territory. Mind you that AVS HD Programming forum is not geared to any particular provider but it is an HD Programming forum where all HD programming should be able to live without the constant bashing. However, that was not true when it came to post about VOOM programming. Oh we tried to post about the Soccer HD games; oh we tried to post about the Euroleague HD games; you know the response I got. It is not worthy. That's what I got. So I have stayed away from there. When Ginger Snaps II was going to air for the first on VOOM, you should look at the response I got when I posted that. It was like "not worthy it is trash". The same with the euroleague basketball "trash... minor league basketball".

Indy said:
I checked Lyngsat again today along with MPG project and neither are showing any activity on AMC6. You would think some testing would be going on. :confused:
http://www.lyngsat.com/amc6.html
It seems that a lot of the AMC-6 ku content is "feeds" and there are plenty of empty transponders. Only three of the transponders have been updated within the past year. It is possible LyngSat is simply behind.
gutter said:
As Scott said in an earlier post to some of the negative posters here, the deal for financing is done or the announcement would never have seen the light of the public press.
I have not seen a 'I have it from a trusted and verified source within Voom that they have financing' post on the topic yet. Best wishes that the assumption is true, but stopping the 'Voom is dying' rumors was a good enough reason to make a pre-announcement. Plus, the announcement they made Thursday has the benefit of being the truth. That's where they are in the process. :D

One truth at a time toward finding the outcome together.

JL

As a person who has VOOM and who admittedly wants it to succeed. I have also been a technical critic of VOOM PQ hoping to drive a discussion and learn some facts. I know I did learn but still a critic that the PQ could be better than it is now. I am also not a fan of Motorola as the supplier. U am on my 4th box. I also have a Motorola 4DTV with my C-Band.

That being said, I would not throw out the baby with the bath water or toss out VOOM for one reason. There isn't a better alternative in my area. Only one OTA station broadcasting HD and cable that sucks with very few choices from Adelphia at a ridiculous price.

I am also hoping that VOOM enters into the internet IP market. That could also be a money maker. I would buy into that fast. mmmmmmmmmmm I wonder what wonders the Dolan's have up their sleave? I bet a few surprises. It is going to be fun to watch. But I won't trash the entire service for a few technical criticisms I have.

JL, to add a bit more we have to remember Voom has time on their side due to the FCC having to sign off on the sale of Rainbow 1. This will take time and I am sure Dish is not going to pull the plug on the sat when they get possession and have no concrete plans for it.

Makes better sense to all if Dish would lease back the transponders and let Voom carry the maintenance expense of uplinking/downlinking until Dish has a plan definitive date for use of the satellite

I got this in my email today

Its From O’Rourke Sales Company our Voom Dealer.

Valued OSC VOOM Dealers,

VOOM HD, LLC, a new private company formed by certain holders of Cablevision Class B Common Stock, including Charles Dolan and Tom Dolan, have a signed letter of intent to acquire the business, assets and liabilities of Cablevision's Rainbow DBS satellite business.

"We're pleased to have an understanding that will permit us to continue VOOM's state-of-the-art service for its customers," said Tom Dolan of VOOM HD. "VOOM has met with critical acclaim and strong enthusiasm among its customers, and VOOM HD is committed to providing the necessary resources to continue building the largest and broadest selection of HD and standard definition programming available."

This news is GREAT news for all VOOM dealers. Exciting new opportunities are on the horizon that will assist you in promoting and growing your VOOM business.

onsiteSat said:
I got this in my email today

Its From O’Rourke Sales Company our Voom Dealer.

Valued OSC VOOM Dealers,

VOOM HD, LLC, a new private company formed by certain holders of Cablevision Class B Common Stock, including Charles Dolan and Tom Dolan, have a signed letter of intent to acquire the business, assets and liabilities of Cablevision's Rainbow DBS satellite business.

"We're pleased to have an understanding that will permit us to continue VOOM's state-of-the-art service for its customers," said Tom Dolan of VOOM HD. "VOOM has met with critical acclaim and strong enthusiasm among its customers, and VOOM HD is committed to providing the necessary resources to continue building the largest and broadest selection of HD and standard definition programming available."

This news is GREAT news for all VOOM dealers. Exciting new opportunities are on the horizon that will assist you in promoting and growing your VOOM business.
Glad to hear! VOOM HD LLC still has a great deal of work taking care of their retainers/dealers.

Off-Topic: Can someone please tell me the location of VOOMs Ku licences? Too lazy to search for it at present. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)