Most likely upgrade path for existing customers - discussion

harveystern said:
Yes , when you buy a new tv or computer you just pay the price of the item When you buy a dish reciver you also paying a monthly fee for programming, and now they tell me my 942 is obsolete. harvey

.. And you can still receive that programming they are not cutting what you can see just not offering new programming.
Other technologies don't always get to see the latest and greatest software/services either, it happens all the time. Dish is not unique here.

CJPC said:
Yeah, im just waiting to figure out when to call E* and tell them my 811 is busted (it actually is very screwey anywho)
I personally have no issue paying $100 for a 211, but I dont want another contract etc!

jayn_j said:
while (date < Feb 1) {wait}
pickup (unit =942 || 921);
powerup (unit)
while (unit.status != "kaput") {shake(unit)}
call e*;
return unit;

Just imagine what would happen if a whole bunch, I mean a WHOLE bunch of MPEG-2 receivers went south on the same day...Think a Police force "sick-out."

Id call it a coincidence :p

What, there gonna call part of there 12 million user subscriber base liars?

Maybe we can make an E* coder send out SW updates to the 811 921 942's to kill em all
(Just kidding!!)

It is not going to kill you to wait a month or two for an upgrade program to come out, if it is going to come out then. They really do need to announce what they are going to do for existing subscribers so that they will not be trying to figure out how to get MPEG-4 receivers and lose them to DirecTv.

It seems as if Dish Network wants to remain the HD leader as they said they would be in the past and want to get a leg up on DirecTv.

:mad: I know one thing and one thing only, if E* does not upgrade my two leased receivers (942, 811) for free, I will definetely jump the ship. As someone mentioned, if they don't want subs to leave they will need to address this hot topic during the Chat.:mad:

I'm sorry, but how can one EXPECT a free upgrade? If you lease a car, do you not pay any fees to trade in for new? It's called an "up"-grade, not a "side"-grade...thus, fees incurred for improved product.

I just hope its reasonably priced and timely.

I will give Echostar until summer to come up with a reasonable upgrade path. D* won't have their HD DVR until then, so it wouldn't make sense for me to switch until I could switch to something equivelent.

I have gotten a phone call and an e-mail from two executives. I broached this subject with them as I was discussing some other issues. One said that there will be an upgrade plan that will mirror current plans. My take was $99.00 for a 411 and $249 for the 622(just like the 811 and 942). The executive also said they will be focusing on existing customers.

I also received a letter from Charlie. He said there will be a "FAIR" upgrade for existing customers. But, he also said that the 622 won't be available until probably March, which in Echostar months means May or June.

tunagimp said:
Just imagine what would happen if a whole bunch, I mean a WHOLE bunch of MPEG-2 receivers went south on the same day...Think a Police force "sick-out."

And who's to say they wont just send you back a 942?

shanewalker said:
I'm sorry, but how can one EXPECT a free upgrade? If you lease a car, do you not pay any fees to trade in for new? It's called an "up"-grade, not a "side"-grade...thus, fees incurred for improved product.

I just hope its reasonably priced and timely.

Listen here, im new to Dish as of OCT 1. And im kind of sick of everyone saying that we shouldnt get a upgrade for free. Well here is why they should. LOOk we have options, if Dish dont and charge us 100 bucks or up, we either go to Directv which will do it for free, or we go back to cable and not worry about stupid upgrades.

2. Dish wants to charge us more, so to get us to pay for the new voom and espn2 they need us to have the MPEG 4 boxes.

IF none of us upgrades to MPEG 4, then Dish just srewed up by liteing up these new HD channels just for newbies.

Dish needs up to go MPEG 4, hell i think they need us to be there more then we need to be there. And if they think in hell im going to pay a dam thing to upgrade and still get HDLite and a bigger bill to boot then i send them back my Dish in pieces.

shanewalker said:
I'm sorry, but how can one EXPECT a free upgrade? If you lease a car, do you not pay any fees to trade in for new?
Let's assume you have leased a car. In the middle of the lease someone comes up with a new gas (MPEG-4) forcing you to get a new car. You, as a customer, don't see any benefit from the new gas. Would it be fair to have you pay for the upgrade.
E* is going to raise HD programming prices to cover the cost of giving us more channels. The equipment upgrade must be free for leased receivers and free after rebate for owned ones.
The cost of lease/length of commitment is a different question if a new box has more features.

We will know in a month or two what they will offer to existing customers, and if they don't do the right thing, at least they are NOT the only game in town.

Buji said:
And who's to say they wont just send you back a 942?

I'm quite sure they would.

And just for General Principles, I intend to make them.

shanewalker said:

If you purchased a car from a manufacturer, based upon infromation received from that manufacturer telling you in no uncertain terms you would be able to have and continue to maintain a certain level of performance, then less than a month later find out they were lying, you'd be mad, right?

You'd be twice as mad if the same person that sold you the car also sold the gas and oil to run the thing too, right?

As a few Japanese car makers have recently discovered you don't advertise a car to have 250bhp when it only has 240bhp.

I don't believe in "Class Action" suits, (think Small Claims Court) but they've really started off on the wrong foot by failing to mention an "upgrade" path, you must admit that.

glennh73 said:
Listen here, im new to Dish as of OCT 1. And im kind of sick of everyone saying that we shouldnt get a upgrade for free. Well here is why they should. LOOk we have options, if Dish dont and charge us 100 bucks or up, we either go to Directv which will do it for free, or we go back to cable and not worry about stupid upgrades.
2. Dish wants to charge us more, so to get us to pay for the new voom and espn2 they need us to have the MPEG 4 boxes.
IF none of us upgrades to MPEG 4, then Dish just srewed up by liteing up these new HD channels just for newbies.
Dish needs up to go MPEG 4, hell i think they need us to be there more then we need to be there. And if they think in hell im going to pay a dam thing to upgrade and still get HDLite and a bigger bill to boot then i send them back my Dish in pieces.
Im sick of people always expecting a handout. Yes, I would like three free HD-DVRs to replace the ones I have (two 921s, a 942 & and not even worried about replacing the 811), but I understand that if you want the "latest and greatest", you have to pay for it.

You could certainly go back to cable, but you would get a FAR inferior DVR. None of the Motorola or SA boxes have the features that the E* boxes do and I have yet to see any cable box with an interface as nice as the one on the 942. And, you would pay more for your programming to boot.

I paid $4500 for a DLP TV three years ago that I could buy for $2200 now. But, I wanted an new TV three years ago...I didnt want to wait.

Well, the difference is lease v. own, most people dont like to (though they do anyways) pay $300 to be able to pay $5/month to LEASE a HD DVR.

Now see, I have no issue with giving in my leased 811, and paying $100 to lease a 211 (seems fair, 100 down for a 300 box, 300 down for a 700 box), but I dont want a contract extension.

Because I dont want to be 'stuck', as I do want to get a HD-DVR, but $700 is just too much!

StevenD said:
Im sick of people always expecting a handout. Yes, I would like three free HD-DVRs to replace the ones I have (two 921s, a 942 & and not even worried about replacing the 811), but I understand that if you want the "latest and greatest", you have to pay for it...
I paid $4500 for a DLP TV three years ago that I could buy for $2200 now. But, I wanted an new TV three years ago...I didnt want to wait.

Charlie Ergen, is that you?

I'm not talking about a handout. I'm talking about FRAUD. You know, "A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain."

And I'm not talking about three years of use here, I'm talking about three WEEKS.

Last edited:
tunagimp said:
Charlie Ergen, is that you?

I'm not talking about a handout. I'm talking about FRAUD. You know, "A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain."

And I'm not talking about three years of use here, I'm talking about three WEEKS.
No, Im not Charlie. But I definitely understand why he wouldnt just ship out brand new ViP622s to all existing customers.

I'm sorry to say, but that sounds like you brought that on yourself. You have been a member here for a year and a half, so you had to read all the rumors and "excitement" about E*'s HD announcemets at CES. In fact, Scott posted specific info about the 622 and new MPEG-4 channels on 12/13. You could have waited.

You also complain in an earlier post that you purchased a 921 less than a year ago. The 921 has been shipping for about two years now, so Im sure there were plenty of posts on this site, and others, about the shortcomings of the 921. Yet, you purchased it anyway. Ive been fairly pleased with both of my 921s, but I knew what I was getting into before I bought the first one.

Last edited:
StevenD said:
No, Im not Charlie. But I definitely understand why he wouldnt just ship out brand new ViP622s to all existing customers.
I'm sorry to say, but that sounds like you brought that on yourself. You have been a member here for a year and a half, so you had to read all the rumors and "excitement" about E*'s HD announcemets at CES. In fact, Scott posted specific info about the 622 and new MPEG-4 channels on 12/13. You could have waited.
You also complain in an earlier post that you purchased a 921 less than a year ago. The 921 has been shipping for about two years now, so Im sure there were plenty of posts on this site, and others, about the shortcomings of the 921. Yet, you purchased it anyway. Ive been fairly pleased with both of my 921s, but I knew what I was getting into before I bought the first one.

Sit down, take a breath, and LISTEN.

I am quite happy with my 921, despite its short comings. I am also happy with my 942. Right now. I purchased it based on information (regarding its future upgradability) received from DISH NETWORK, not you, or anyone else on this website or any other website. A representative of Dish network will be assumed, however erroneously, to have a "greater knowledge" of the product than any unofficial website.

I was lied to, period. I was lied to with the intent to defraud. I was lied to by DISH, as were others on-line and on this very board, right now, on other threads.

If you have not sympathy for me, how do you explain the x-number or so people that bought this very same receiver TODAY, from authorized retailers who know it's a doomed machine? What advise do you have for them when they discover--some as soon as the 1st of next month--they cannot receive their local stations in HD without an antenna? Tough luck, you should have waited?

At what point does Dish Network stop its authorized retailers, its agents, from selling this machine?

Waltz on over to ebay and see how many are still for sale with no mention of information that these sellers have regarding the future of this machine.

As for an "upgrade," if it is not generous, intended to correct a wrong even you acknowledge exists (i.e. the 921), I will change providers. Before I send E* $600 in exchange for these two machines, I will give the money to D*, just for General Principles.

Further, whether or not I pursue a small-claims court action against Dish depends upon this "upgrade," or should we say "handout" offer.

In that respect I am lucky, I have a really big Echosphere warehouse about three miles down the road.

Picture me, a judgement and a County Sheriff. A heartwarming vision....

I'm actually having problems with my leased 6-week old 942 and I think I'm going to wait until February to pursue it with E's tech support. I'm losing my EPG and timers every night with the 3AM EPG update. I have to reload every day upon turning it on, it then works fine until the 3AM update again. Two nights I was up late and watching TV at 3AM and I said no to the update now prompt, the next day my EPG was still fine. Have already gone through 4 complete hard reboots, two with Tech Support on the line. Nothing changes.

I could make a big stink now, but I don't think that's in my best interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts