Moto 6412 DVR: No SPDIF Output??????

leeb

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
Hey All...

I recently picked up stand-alone Toshiba dolby digital 5.1 converter on ebay. After hooking it up via a new optical SPDIF cable, there was NO surround sound; there was front channel sound tho...

I thought the box was NG until I hooked it up to my Sony DVD player and got all 5 channels - no problem.

So I called Comcast...tech just left...they told me the SPDIF output on the Moto6412 is N/A until a July software upgrade??? Sounds like B.S....

Is this true??? Anybody know??? I can't believe that all the Comcast customers (at least in s.florida) do NOT have a working digital output from their Moto6412 box.

Or was he just blowing 'smoke'???? He couldn't even get into the service menu without calling his office.

Thanx...

LeeB

ps: Is there a service menu/setup option I can access and set myself for this box????

Hey All...

I recently picked up stand-alone Toshiba dolby digital 5.1 converter on ebay. After hooking it up via a new optical SPDIF cable, there was NO surround sound; there was front channel sound tho...

I thought the box was NG until I hooked it up to my Sony DVD player and got all 5 channels - no problem.

So I called Comcast...tech just left...they told me the SPDIF output on the Moto6412 is N/A until a July software upgrade??? Sounds like B.S....

Is this true??? Anybody know??? I can't believe that all the Comcast customers (at least in s.florida) do NOT have a working digital output from their Moto6412 box.

Or was he just blowing 'smoke'???? He couldn't even get into the service menu without calling his office.

Thanx...

LeeB

ps: Is there a service menu/setup option I can access and set myself for this box????

You may also want to check the audio output mode on your cable box. You don't need the service menu for this. Go to the Setup menu when you hit Menu twice.

For more issues you should do a google search for "DVR Chatter". Good website dedicated to the Motorola 6412 etc.

The tech is blowing smoke most likely. I've never heard of any reason why the optical output would not already be active.

The optical on my 6412 works just fine. I think your installer is smokin' something. If you have front sound over the optical cable the output is obviously enabled.

Remember that you have to have a signal that has surrounds to get a surround sound. Not all channels have that.

The optical on my 6412 works just fine. I think your installer is smokin' something. If you have front sound over the optical cable the output is obviously enabled.

Remember that you have to have a signal that has surrounds to get a surround sound. Not all channels have that.

====================
I'm using HBO mainly; certainly any recent movie will be in 5.1 on HBO; none of the other channels gives me surround output either.
LB

It is possible the digital out is disabled in certain markets currently. There is a issue on the 64xx and 34xx boxes where sound is intermitently dropping out and to get it back you need to change channels up/down or if watching a recording pause/FFW/RW to get audio back.

That market may have just disabled it all together to prevent people from experiencing off and on issues until the update is released.

I don't know for sure, its just a possibility.

HDNet

Wtf??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts