Motor moving by itself

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bruin95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Sin City
I just noticed something strange with my FTA system. It seems that when the receiver is off, the motor moves at intervals of about every 15 minutes. It doesn't move much, maybe for like 3-4 seconds. I noticed this because, when I'm in the bathroom, I can hear the motor going due to where the dish is installed, right above the room.

It was really strange. I'm in there taking a shower and I hear the motor moving. About 15 minutes later, I hear it again. I check again, after I get home from work, and it keeps on doing it. You can set your watch by it. The receiver is always off in those instances. What in the world is going on here? Is it time for a new motor? I've only had it for 10 months and hadn't noticed this until this week. Who knows how long this has been going on. It's an SG2100, btw. Any ideas?

I assume that you mean by "receiver is OFF" that you have it turned off at the remote control, rather than the back switch. If it is OFF at the remote control, then check some of the receiver internal options, especially "EPG in standby" or any other function in "standby" mode. Any option that is enabled in standby mode, might keep power to the motor and lnbf.
:)

What kind of receiver is it?

Sonicview 8000HD

I assume that you mean by "receiver is OFF" that you have it turned off at the remote control, rather than the back switch. If it is OFF at the remote control, then check some of the receiver internal options, especially "EPG in standby" or any other function in "standby" mode. Any option that is enabled in standby mode, might keep power to the motor and lnbf.
:)

Nothing is enabled. There is no EPG for FTA so that setting really isn't necessary, so I never touched it.

And yes, by OFF I mean by the remote.

I have the same receiver and mine was doing exactly the same thing. I never did really figure out why it was doing it.

I recently did a factory reset on it because I was changing a bunch of things with my setup and since haven't gotten around to programming in all of the dishes on the arc. I have it parked on AMC 9 for RTN at the moment.

With just the one satellite programmed in it doesn't move the dish at random. I'll have to program in some of the other sats and see if it starts doing it again.

I dont know how you can hear it while being in the shower. I hardly could hear my motor.

I can only think there was some sort of short or something, unless you had someone playing tricks on you. My stepson did that to me once with my old 10 footer! I was out mowing and saw the dish moving, Only thing is he held down the east button and the darn thing almost got stuck, a good reason to always set the limits, alot of people say well I know how fasr I can go and dont set the limits, you never know! lol!

I dont know how you can hear it while being in the shower. I hardly could hear my motor.

Like I stated. The dish is mounted right outside the wall of the bathroom near a vent which goes to the bathroom. It pretty easy to hear the motor moving as it echoes throughout the room.

I can only think there was some sort of short or something, unless you had someone playing tricks on you.

Since others have had this issue, I doubt it's a short. And since I live alone, unless I have ghosts, no one is playing tricks on me. ;)

Took me a while, but I finally got around to reprogramming several satellites on my motorized setup.
I believe I found the reason it kept moving. My box originally had hackware on it. I removed the old hackware and replaced it with the latest factory firmware. With factory firmware there are no options to set up the EPG. Since putting in the factory firmware, my dish no longer moves randomly on its own when the receiver is in standby mode.

That's exactly what it was.. The Coolsat 8000 I bought off ebay earlier this year had the same issue and the hackware that the seller had on it was causing it move it to 119 to update the EPG. Drove me nuts until I figured it out. :]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)