motor stops at 101w on the arc and won't go any further

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jullius

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
La Crosse, WI
I have a dg380 motor that has been working great up until now. I am using it in usals mode with AZbox Ultra, I have also tried hooking it up to my Traxis 3500, but I get the same problem. If I choose any satellite further than 101w on the arc it will move only as far as 101w then stop. The manual west button on the motor won't move it any further than that location as well.

I've tried resetting the motor and disabling software limits, but haven't had any luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

seeing as the same problem is occurring with two receivers....it sounds to me like an internal hardware fault, inside the motor itself....my next step would be to pop the cover off and inspect....

When I had an Elite driving an HH motor ( the DG380) in fact, I was constantly getting the limits set at weird places. I always suspected the Azbox, perhaps on being turned off or on, would send out spurious signals.
Since moving to a CS8000 and Sathawk to control the motors, I haven't had that problem , anymore. My guess is that it is the Azbox setting the limits, and you'll need to find a way to deal with it.
:)

Julius,

My first indication would have been that the software limits were preventing you from driving your dish past that point. This is typically the problem 90% of the time, or better.

If you are certain that you are deleting or disabling these limits properly, then it must be a hardware problem (something is mechanically bound up internally) or the dish/motor is hitting something and stopping it. You will have to do some more testing and investigating / troubleshooting on your end first as we really cannot identify anything specific without more information here.

One question, once you get to 101W, can you go back the other direction?

RADAR

Does the software limit store in the motor or is it just on the receiver?

Thanks for the feedback

software limits are stored in the receiver....the only limits on the motor itself are hardware limits that are set with stop pins....that is why i said if its happening with two different receivers then its not a software problem....its a hardware problem with the motor itself....

software limits are stored in the receiver....the only limits on the motor itself are hardware limits that are set with stop pins....that is why i said if its happening with two different receivers then its not a software problem....its a hardware problem with the motor itself....

I believe that if you read the specs on the motor, you will see Programmable software limits as a feature of the MOTOR, in the spec sheet supplied with the motor. The receiver sets and clears these software limits, but the positions are stored in the motor . Since there is NO position feedback from the motor to the receiver, there is no way the receiver could detect when a limit was made , or not. Only the motor has internal position feedback, pulses from an encoder or hall effect sensor, for example, to tell it how many pulses past it's zero point it is, either east or west. Comparing it's current position with it's stored east-west limits is the test of whether to move further on the arc.
IF the position were stored in the receiver, there would be nothing to prevent the user manually moving the motor via the pushbutton route, but this is not possible, because the MOTOR limit has been reached. Once the receiver sends it's command to the motor to clear the limits, then the motor has no impediment to continuing it's motion.

I use a gbox 3000 to control an actuator. The receiver doesn't know that the Gbox 3000 is not a motor. It only uses the Diseqc 1.2 command set to tell the Gbox what to do, including setting east and west limits, which are stored in the GBOX, not in the receiver. The receiver just sends Diseqc 1.2 commands down the coax. If there is a Diseqc 1.2 device attached, the device responds accordingly. Since there is no feedback to the receiver in the Disqec 1.2 command structure, there is simply no way the software limits could be stored in the receiver.
:)

Attached is the Eutelsat document pertaining to Diseqc positioners. See page 7 for software limits , implemented by receiver commands.

Attachments

• Diseqc positioner_appli_notice.pdf
    256.2 KB · Views: 219
I have a dg380 motor that has been working great up until now. I am using it in usals mode with AZbox Ultra, I have also tried hooking it up to my Traxis 3500, but I get the same problem. If I choose any satellite further than 101w on the arc it will move only as far as 101w then stop. The manual west button on the motor won't move it any further than that location as well.

I've tried resetting the motor and disabling software limits, but haven't had any luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

if you are sure that there are no limits set, then id ask how old your dg380 is. i know when i bought mine there was an incorrect screw used during production. i could only go so far west before the motor would start to bind up and stop. when you are at the motor using the manual buttons does it sound like the motor starts to work harder before it quits moving ?

crackt out,.

Status
Please reply by conversation.