Moved back to PR, and what did I find?

aikoentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Peoria area Central Illinois
Made the move back to PR. No Mortgage, low taxes and the laid back life. I contacted Dish mover, no problems. I had planned to simply make some minor lnbf mods to my existing 6 and 5 foot antennas (1.8m, 1.5m). Some Nummy (old tenants I guess) had tried to change the LNBF on my 6 footer by putting a ladder on the lnbf support brace and bent it, my 1.5 was inverted and the is an extra Direct tv antenna on my house with a Dish LNBF (suppose because they screwed up the six footer and couldn't get signal. When the Dish tech shows up for install I declined the PR Dual antenna. I had re-inverted the 5 footer, repaired the bent lnbf brace on the six footer and turned the Direct TV antenna into a bird bath. I "popped the Case off my old Legacy LNBF and put it on the DP the Tech brought, that way I was able to use the original split bushing for proper angle and location on my 6 footer. That works great Lowest Xponder on 119 is 95,may others pegged. Dish tech opened up the mount on the 5 footer with 2 small cuts with a hack saw and mounted the LNBF with a couple zip ties. Worked great good signal. Tech did drill a hole in a copper water line that was in a cement wall though. I didn't bust his balls and made all the repairs while he was here. Good Guy, reminded me of when I was here doing installs, but everything was the 1.8m and some 1.2m then.

Yeah 119 & 110 only, 61.5 is useless and not in the footprint for 129. I don't get as many HD channels as in the States, but hopefully they will eventually be available. I could always use the "bird bath" as wing dish if I needed to have one for a third orbital slot.

That's great! Are you still only on 110/119 out there? Any HD?

It is not great. 61.5 is supposed to give us all those missing channels in HD that we pay for, got signal plus Spot 70 and after four months we have nothing. If they don't provide that equality I will down grade all the way down. No EPIX HD, SCI HD, one HBO, one Showtime HD and on and on. Starting to get very upset after being ripped off for having to pay 227 for something we don't receive. Four months of waiting I believe should be enough.

I don't really understand why Dish is so unreasonable for PR customers, when they had the technology all along to give you and all of us a good signal on 61.5. It's not as though you have a dinky population like the VI. ;)

Replacing my mixed-arc setup with EA didn't make any sense to me either.

I started installing Dish in '98 as well as C-band (digital and analog). We had to use a 1.8m (6'). at that time xponder 2 was 48% on the old scale, not to mention expensive. Dish Mover wasn't even applicable here in PR. Since then I've installed, Direct TV, Starband, Dircway as well as many commercial head end systems. I was even an Authorized Retailer for Dish and Starband. PR has always lagged behind CONUS. But I have to say it's better than the alternatives. At least now there is a single dish solution. Though I can't figure out why anyone would want it if they had a 2 antenna dish 500 system already, bigger is better when it comes to signal gain. I installed in the States for a while. They have EA and WA and still, as a installer, I would have to use a wing dish to catch the third bird. I do wish I had all that I was getting in the States for the price I'm paying. I may be wrong, but patience weed hopper, better things will be coming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)