Moving and Cancelling Service

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
I am likely moving within days, or three weeks on the outside. I may be moving several times in rapid succession (including a possible roommate situation or two), so Dish mover isn't really an option. My once marginally acceptable neighborhood has turned into something like out of one of those crime drama shows or movies, which are much better to watch on television than to be stuck in the middle of as an innocent bystander.

I'm out of contract and I'm looking to wind down my Dish service pretty much the day I move or the day before my new pre-paid bill is due (Whichever comes first). I assume the procedure is, what? Call their 800 number and cancel? They do that thing with the prepaid label, but I am not sure I will be here to receive the label- can I give them the address of some relatives or something and have them mail the label there while I bring my receiver around with me (The latter is going to be a major pain because a lot of things to move in a small car, but I don't know what else I can do)? Any alternatives?

If I cancel now, will the remaining time I've prepaid for in the month be applied as a credit toward the receiver ship back charge? If not, do I get a check for that, or does it just disappear? If it just disappears, I guess I as might as well cancel effective the last day I paid for, but ideally I'd cancel earlier and it'd go toward the shipping fee- I really need every dollar I can get right now.

I don't suppose anyone has found a way to get the shipping back fee waived completely? Or even better yet, get having to ship the receiver back waived (It's an old model, I'm not sure they still use them anymore)?

I did get a bill for next month. It's not due yet and, because I am on prepay, in theory I do not owe that money to Dish if I cancel before that month begins. Has anyone had issues with Dish trying to collect on a pre-pay bill anyway or bringing it up when you've tried signing up months or years down the road? Remember, it's pre-pay for a month that hasn't started- in theory that bill should be irrelevant if I cancel prior to it starting.

Due to the situation, Dish pause is not an option. I need every dollar I have right now, as I said, and I don't know how long it'll be until I am in a place where I am buying my own television service again and which television service will be the best option for me at that time and in that place (or whether it'll have the appropriate line of sights for Dish).

Just looking for tips and doing this as smoothly and in as cost efficient manner as possible. The less fuss, the better. I've got a ton of logistical hurdles going on right now.

On a side note, I'm also cancelling Comcast Internet. That's not pre-pay. If anyone has any tips there, feel free to toss them in.

I am likely moving within days, or three weeks on the outside. I may be moving several times in rapid succession (including a possible roommate situation or two), so Dish mover isn't really an option. My once marginally acceptable neighborhood has turned into something like out of one of those crime drama shows or movies, which are much better to watch on television than to be stuck in the middle of as an innocent bystander.

I'm out of contract and I'm looking to wind down my Dish service pretty much the day I move or the day before my new pre-paid bill is due (Whichever comes first). I assume the procedure is, what? Call their 800 number and cancel? They do that thing with the prepaid label, but I am not sure I will be here to receive the label- can I give them the address of some relatives or something and have them mail the label there while I bring my receiver around with me (The latter is going to be a major pain because a lot of things to move in a small car, but I don't know what else I can do)? Any alternatives?

If I cancel now, will the remaining time I've prepaid for in the month be applied as a credit toward the receiver ship back charge? If not, do I get a check for that, or does it just disappear? If it just disappears, I guess I as might as well cancel effective the last day I paid for, but ideally I'd cancel earlier and it'd go toward the shipping fee- I really need every dollar I can get right now.

I don't suppose anyone has found a way to get the shipping back fee waived completely? Or even better yet, get having to ship the receiver back waived (It's an old model, I'm not sure they still use them anymore)?

I did get a bill for next month. It's not due yet and, because I am on prepay, in theory I do not owe that money to Dish if I cancel before that month begins. Has anyone had issues with Dish trying to collect on a pre-pay bill anyway or bringing it up when you've tried signing up months or years down the road? Remember, it's pre-pay for a month that hasn't started- in theory that bill should be irrelevant if I cancel prior to it starting.

Due to the situation, Dish pause is not an option. I need every dollar I have right now, as I said, and I don't know how long it'll be until I am in a place where I am buying my own television service again and which television service will be the best option for me at that time and in that place (or whether it'll have the appropriate line of sights for Dish).

Just looking for tips and doing this as smoothly and in as cost efficient manner as possible. The less fuss, the better. I've got a ton of logistical hurdles going on right now.

On a side note, I'm also cancelling Comcast Internet. That's not pre-pay. If anyone has any tips there, feel free to toss them in.

The best way to get the account canceled would be to reach our loyalty department. They can get it setup to disconnect on a certain date. There are a few options for returning the equipment. We can send out the boxes and labels to a relative, or provide you the return addresses so you can ship them back on your own.

Any service not used the current bill cycle will be applied as a credit to the account. You will only have to pay for any prorated charges. If you disconnect before the bill is due, you should be fine. If a payment is made, any amount taken out remaining will be refunded after we receive the equipment and any applicable fees are applied. If there is no payment, just a prorated credit, any fees will be deducted from that first and a final bill generated if any balance is due.

If you would like me to look at the account, get more information, or provide you the addresses, just send me a PM with the account or phone #. I'll be happy to check this out with you.

Thanks.

Any way to cancel online, or does it have to be via telephone?

If I were to order shipping labels, would I be charged for them immediately or only when I actually ship back the boxes?

Is there really no way to get a return shipping fee waived? I've got bigger fish to fry right now in life, so I won't make a huge deal out of this, but if I could get the fee waived, I'd be able to ship the equipment back a lot more quickly and just get it done. It kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that I am planning to cancel service due to life circumstances that are to some degree out of my control, while on a very delicate budget with incoming expenses related to moving, having always paid my Dish bills on time, and am kind of having to time things and strategize about how and when to cancel to ensure I can pay for the shipping when I've been a loyal customer for 2 1/2 years. When I cancelled Comcast, there were no fees. I just dropped my equipment off at a local office near my home and that was that. I got a check in the mail later because I had paid for part of a month I didn't use.

PM Tommy with the model # and see if they really want it back. In your case, you might be ahead to just ship it back at your expense, if need be. With delivery confirmation.

Look forward to your returning to the fold one day and posting again.

Thanks.

Any way to cancel online, or does it have to be via telephone?

If I were to order shipping labels, would I be charged for them immediately or only when I actually ship back the boxes?

Is there really no way to get a return shipping fee waived? I've got bigger fish to fry right now in life, so I won't make a huge deal out of this, but if I could get the fee waived, I'd be able to ship the equipment back a lot more quickly and just get it done. It kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth that I am planning to cancel service due to life circumstances that are to some degree out of my control, while on a very delicate budget with incoming expenses related to moving, having always paid my Dish bills on time, and am kind of having to time things and strategize about how and when to cancel to ensure I can pay for the shipping when I've been a loyal customer for 2 1/2 years. When I cancelled Comcast, there were no fees. I just dropped my equipment off at a local office near my home and that was that. I got a check in the mail later because I had paid for part of a month I didn't use.

The account can only be fully canceled through the phone. We don't have an online option for that right now.

If you were charged a return shipping fee, it is billed once the equipment arrives. This is only if our label is used, though you can use your own if you would prefer.

I would have to look at the account to see what's going on with the shipping fee. As the others mentioned, it's possible your receiver is purchased and doesn't need to be returned. We do have some equipment drop-off locations, but they are located in Texas, and California. Please send me a PM with the receiver #, and I will check everything out for you.

Hi guys,

Just to update everyone, I wound up cancelling via telephone, and they said the credits I was owed for the remaining time in my billing cycle were greater than the shipping fee, so they'd just deduct the fee from my credit when I sent the stuff back.

I should be here long enough to physically get the box. If not, I guess I'll have to use my own, but I'll wait and see. I plan to get my mail forwarded, but I know that equipment has to get back relatively quickly.

But it basically seems like everything is on it's way to being taken care of.

I went through why I couldn't return the LBN or whatever it's called, and if they try to charge me for that, I'll probably be back here and see if the DIRT team can that waived, because there is no way on the planet I can physically access where they put that dish (and I was promised at install I wouldn't have to), but the lady seemed to accept my explanation and did not subsequently mention any requirement to return it or any fee, so I should be alright.

Thanks for the good wishes and the tips from everyone on the forum. Though there have been some ups and downs with Dish, over all, it's been about even with cable, which means I could be back eventually. I'm tentatively planning at least two physical moves, and at the first one I likely won't have TV at all or will be splitting costs with someone with existing service, so it's at the next hop where I'd be considering something. The timeline isn't really clear. And there might even be an extra move in between if the final thing I'm on the waiting list for doesn't open after the first temporary move has reached the end of it's course. There's also a very very slight chance that the place I'm waiting on could open in time to just make one move, which would ideal, but looks extremely unlikely at this point.

As you can see, a lot is in the air in my life, so it is good to get this small item sorted out and not have to pay an extra fee out of pocket (Even if they are taking it out of a credit I'd otherwise have due). :) The logistics of moving are already giving me stress headaches, but it's all better than living where I am (Which is a small hint at how horrific this neighborhood has become).

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear it was taken care of, Hanover. :) We do prefer the LNB to be returned if possible, however if it is unreachable, or dangerous to get, then there is nothing to worry about. If for some reason you do get charged, just let me know.

Sounds like everything is good to go though.

Well, it's been 10 days (The phone rep said I should expect the box or return label in 7-10 days). No box or return label has arrived. I did, however, get another unsolicited envelope full of those "Refer your friends" things today. What's up?

Yep. First CSR said 2 days, which I thought odd. Second CSR said "it's on it's way." DIRT got me the boxes.

You really made cancelling Dish a big project for yourself,sometimes in life you have to plan ahead.When I moved I was moving in with family who already had TV service (Comcast)not to my liking ,but I wasn't paying for it )I contacted Dish By Phone and had labels sent out ,with a box and sent back receiver,LNB is not a requirement anymore to be sent back,no one should have to put themselves in danger removing if Dish (or Direct) want back they are welcome to come get.You are always best to turn off service immediately when calling to cancel ,as the paperwork doesn't get put into the system to get your return labels until you do.In my Case once you turn off service they want receiver back and will get labels out to you quicker.Hopefully you've done the cancelling a few weeks before monthly payment is due,this helps cover any extra expenses and you may get a refund.Otherwise if you still owe them your account isn't totally cancelled.

They used to be really prompt with this. The past couple years or so, not so much. Hit up DIRT and see if they can tell you anything.

Should I just pick a DIRT person at random from the thread to message, or are there certain ones "on call" at different times?

You really made cancelling Dish a big project for yourself,sometimes in life you have to plan ahead.When I moved I was moving in with family who already had TV service (Comcast)not to my liking ,but I wasn't paying for it )I contacted Dish By Phone and had labels sent out ,with a box and sent back receiver,LNB is not a requirement anymore to be sent back,no one should have to put themselves in danger removing if Dish (or Direct) want back they are welcome to come get.You are always best to turn off service immediately when calling to cancel ,as the paperwork doesn't get put into the system to get your return labels until you do.In my Case once you turn off service they want receiver back and will get labels out to you quicker.Hopefully you've done the cancelling a few weeks before monthly payment is due,this helps cover any extra expenses and you may get a refund.Otherwise if you still owe them your account isn't totally cancelled.

I did have service turned off immediately. It's been 10 days. They told me 7-10 days. I just want the labels and box to return their equipment to them. I don't mind not returning their equipment, of course, but I have a feeling if I don't, they'll charge for me for what is, to me, a worthless receiver, considering I don't have service. I've heard horror stories about unauthorized charges to credit cards and collections attempts at inflated charges. I've done all the right things as a (now former) customer- always paid by bill on time, sitting here ready to send back their receiver at my own expense (Well, they are taking it out of what they owe me anyhow), etc..

If things had gone as planned, I'd already have moved by now and had to take the box with me in a very small car that would have been making multiple runs to try to move because I can't afford to rent a u-haul. Unfortunately, but I suppose fortunately for this small element of things, I'm having trouble getting out of here, so I can still receive the label and box if they would care to send it to me. If I had had cable, I'd have driven the box over to the nearest cable office, dropped it off, and left with a receipt. I remember cancelling cable TV and Internet 2 1/2 or 3 years ago, I literally piled everything in a cardboard box, emptied it on the cable desk, collected a receipt, and walked out of the building with the empty box. The annoyance factor of quitting Dish is high, and it's something I'll take into account the next time I decide on TV service (Unfortunately, the annoyance factor of signing *up* for Comcast is high, but I'll have to do that to get Internet again down the line anyway...).

If someone could just send me the label and the box or waive me having to return it, that'd be nice.

Yes, contact DIRT. However it must be done now, they're the best.

Is the fuel cost for multiple trips really more than the trailer rental? No friend with a pickup?

Yes, contact DIRT. However it must be done now, they're the best.

I'm ready to do it. I just need to know which DIRT member to contact. Maybe a list of their hours would be a good site suggestion for the future so people can refer to the list and know who to say hi to?

Alternately, one would be welcome to PM me and I'll send them my phone number for verification.

If I don' t hear from anyone by tomorrow, I guess I will just pick one at random, maybe one of the ones from this thread, and contract him or her.

Is the fuel cost for multiple trips really more than the trailer rental? No friend with a pickup?

I do know someone with an SUV, but he is very busy and hard to coordinate with. It's a possibility, particularly with it now looking like I will just be making one move instead of two. I thought I could find a workable interim solution between two locales, but I can't pull it off financially. I tried (Actually spent a ton of time and a little money looking into it). Actually, had I known it was going to go this way, I probably wouldn't have cancelled TV so early, but now that the process is 10 days in and I see it is getting complicated, I don't want to undo any progress made and cancel again later, I just want to get it done, and I'll watch DVDs or something for a while. I've been doing that and some stuff on the Roku the last 10 days- not ideal because I am a big sports fan and like watching live news, but better than nothing. Things are so in flux that I am getting rid of whatever I can service wise that can't be canceled on the spot and the equipment returned the same day, and considering cutting down on my physical belongings somewhat and just leaving behind some things in the move (Thrift store furniture, old books and VHS tapes after having transitioned to e-books and DVDs years ago and no longer having a working VCR, etc.).

Things are bad here, I've got a long-term thing I'm waiting on opening up that could take a while (or could get rushed if I am lucky), and it turns out the interim solutions really wouldn't work for me financially and in other ways. It's actually even crossed my mind to move in with my parents, though that didn't even work out very well when I was the right age to be living with them. :)

Go to the main forums page and scroll to the bottom of the page. The Dirt members are in red and will be listed if they are online, otherwise look at the ones that have posted, they have their work hours in their signatures. Send them a PM and they will contact you when they come back online.

I'm ready to do it. I just need to know which DIRT member to contact. Maybe a list of their hours would be a good site suggestion for the future so people can refer to the list and know who to say hi to?

Alternately, one would be welcome to PM me and I'll send them my phone number for verification.

If I don' t hear from anyone by tomorrow, I guess I will just pick one at random, maybe one of the ones from this thread, and contract him or her.

I can check into where the boxes are, they definitely should have arrived by now. Just send me a PM with the account info!

I can check into where the boxes are, they definitely should have arrived by now. Just send me a PM with the account info!

Thanks! PM sent.

FYI, when you cancel, the return boxes can take 7-10 business days to arrive. A bit different than just 7-10 days.

That would make a difference. I usually do try to listen carefully for whether something is supposed to take simply "days" or "business days" and I am pretty sure the phone rep simply said "days", but that could have been a mistake on her end, or I may not be remembering properly now that some time has past.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)