"Moving" help for Newbie

Just point a dish 300 at 61.5 and your troubles are over. There should be a port on your dish for that!!

This kind of talk confuses me. From what I can tell he needs a wing dish. He needs to physically install a new dish if he wants 61.5. I think it's a 500. I don't know how to install a wing dish, but I'd like to know how. From you guys in the know, can you tell me how this would be done as far as dish and lnb setup and where the coax cable is run. Or if you could point me in the right direction. I think I've tried to do a search in the past, but couldn't get clear info.

The first dishes were 300s. I still have a few of them I have from upgrades. You need to a dish pro lnb and point it at any satellite you would like. There should be an in port on the 1000.2 dish you have now. Do a switch test and you should be all set.

See about getting a local installer in your local area to install a side sat dish for 61.5 and they can fix your situation for you. Try the yellow pages and see if you can look them up . It will cost you but you could get your locals fixed. If all else fails ,you could tell DISH the truth and get them to put you back to your real address. Or you could wait a month and then do a dishmover back to your real address . They will install what ever side sat dish you wanted for a price. You could always drop the locals till you move again. No sense paying for something you aren't seeing anyway.

Ok, to clear this entire OP up and to avoid all the side talk here is what the situation is.

OP is living in the Erie, PA market. He is pointed at 110, 119 and 129. He specifically wants to get out of market HD locals. There are NO spotbeamed HD locals on 110 in his area and I am not sure if on 119 he is in spotbeam 13 (as he may be on the fringe) or not but regardless there are no spotbeamed HD locals available there as well. Hence his only option is to select HD locals that are available on 129w. In refering to my list earlier in this post, he has the following options

------
Los Angeles, CA
Chicago, IL
Albuquerque, NM
Denver, CO
Nashville, TN
Minneapolis, MN
Atlanta, GA
Salt Lake City, UT
Kansas City, MO

Now he can 'move' to any of these cities, however as noted earlier it is expected that all of these locals that are presently being broadcast to the CONUS are going to be shifted to a spotbeam when Ciel II becomes active in the next 4-6 weeks. At that time he will be limited to any spotbeams on 129 that are in his area, so if someone wants to track down the predicted contours that have been uploaded for Ciel II @ 129w for the northern Ohio, northern PA, northwestern NY area that will give one an idea what markets may be uplinked after that.

Those are his options today. He can call in and make the 'move' or do it online by playing some CSR roulette (hence calling until you get someone who will do it for you without hassel). The other option is to 1) upgrade his setup which is probably a Dish 1000 to a Dish 1000+ to get 118.75 programming, which will allow for the following stations to be subscribed too

118.75/119k
-------------------
St. Louis, MO
Detroit, MI
Raleigh, NC
Pittsburgh, PA
Charlotte, NC

OR he can install a wing dish that is pointed at 61.5 or 77. With the programmng on 118.75 projected to move to 129w and Ciel II when it becomes active, odds are adding the wing dish is the better move. 77w requires Eastern Arc authorization which may be hard to get, but it could be had, probably. The CONUS 77w markets today stand as follows...

------
Jacksonville, FL
Lexington, KY
Cincinnati, OH
Harrisburg, PA
Louisville, KY
Little Rock, AR
Charleston, WV

or if he were to get a 61.5 dish he would be on the fringe of the Cleveland, Chicago, Flint, Detroit, Lansing or Grand Rapids spotbeam and could get any of those stations (some may have retransmision consent, so check the lists).

That is his options and that is all...

Yeah, I finally got all this figured out tonight..I tried to get "moved" to the Atlanta locals but now they are telling me that I cannot "move" again due to FCC regulations. I talked to 3 different people on the online chat and none of them would budge on it. Its so frustrating now that I actually know I would get the channels in HD with Atlanta and now not being able to "move" there.... Just my luck

Sounds like Dish is cracking down on the whole "moving" thing. If it's true this would be a first. I've never heard of them giving people too much of a problem. Usually you play roulette long enough until you get what you want. But if they're feeding you this junk about the FCC it sounds like they have noted something on your account. I'd give it a week or two maybe and try again. I think it's in Dish's best interest to give people what they want. If you're getting one set of locals who are you hurting? Especially when HD locals is not even available at your physical addy.

Sounds like Dish is cracking down on the whole "moving" thing. If it's true this would be a first. I've never heard of them giving people too much of a problem. Usually you play roulette long enough until you get what you want. But if they're feeding you this junk about the FCC it sounds like they have noted something on your account. I'd give it a week or two maybe and try again. I think it's in Dish's best interest to give people what they want. If you're getting one set of locals who are you hurting? Especially when HD locals is not even available at your physical addy.

Thats exactly what I thought..I'll give it maybe a week or 2 and then try again. I believe they did mark something on my account about it. I think it was a bad idea to try and move just 24 hours after I did before....

Do not move to Atlanta, perse - look at the DMA maps in TV Market Maps and move to a small town on the outer edge of the Atlanta DMA - like maybe Clay County North Carolina.

I am a current customer that is already moved to Atlanta. "At home" I would be in the Louisville locals. With the Louisville HD locals now on 77 and the threat of having ATL go spotbeam, I am thinking of moving back. My question is, would dish give me an EA dish or would they just give a wing at 77?

Thanks,

I am a current customer that is already moved to Atlanta. "At home" I would be in the Louisville locals. With the Louisville HD locals now on 77 and the threat of having ATL go spotbeam, I am thinking of moving back. My question is, would dish give me an EA dish or would they just give a wing at 77?

Thanks,

Most likely a side sat dish for 77. Only new subs are getting the 1000.4 sat install at this time.

So let me get this straight, I can "see" a spotbeam on 61.5 at tp 13 with a 34% signal, does that mean that I could get the Buffalo NY locals? And what does it mean when the dish channel chart lists an area after the tp number? I can also see tp 1 with a 41% and I am also wondering if Cleveland, OH is a possibility. I am around 250 miles from Cleveland.

IF you are talking about SPOTBEAM carried locals and not CONUS beam carried locals, you will have to be within 100 miles or less to see another cities locals with good signal strength. CONUS beam can be seen by EVERYONE that can see national cable networks. So if you will check the website we listed earlier you can see what transponder the locals are on , and whether they are spotbeam or conus. A signal strength of 35 - 50 should be fine for locals ,under the new signal meter strengths that all receivers have now. IF it drops down to 10-20 on the sat meter you will lose your signal.

So let me get this straight, I can "see" a spotbeam on 61.5 at tp 13 with a 34% signal, does that mean that I could get the Buffalo NY locals? And what does it mean when the dish channel chart lists an area after the tp number? I can also see tp 1 with a 41% and I am also wondering if Cleveland, OH is a possibility. I am around 250 miles from Cleveland.

It depends....5 or 6 spotbeams have TP 13 on 61.5. Depends on which beam you are under, and you can't tell from the receiver. You'll just have to research the markets and your location and guess which one you are under.

And I started looking and I am more confused. I am in Penn Yan, NY 14527. I did a 6-1-1 and got the following readings on spotbeam transponders:

1 41%
5 12%
7 28%
11 44%
13 39%
15 34%

So, what markets can I see?

Well instead of starting up a new thread I figured I would just continue this one..Now that baseball season is approaching I am thinking of "moving" to the Columbus OH DMA in order to recieve Fox Sports Cincinnati. Now my question is in the Erie PA area, will I be able to recieve these channels now that Ciel II has launched? According to Dish User Columbus is on the 129 satellite, however I am not sure which transponder I would have to check in order to ensure I would get these channels. Also what about Fox Sports Cincinnati? Which Transponder would this channel be on for both the SD and HD version of this channel. Thanks so much for all your help!

Google Maps

Resetting Receiver ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)