Moving. Need advice on planning new dish farm.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
lol, you guys are taking her post a little too seriously.
she's just blowin off a little steam.
shes been here long enough to see lots of stuff come and go
if metv is all she has fta for, 1 fixed dish at 99w or 101w would do it
heck, even a mini-bud would work.
have you all seen her dish farm? more than 1 dish there, lol
nobody puts that much effort into it without having love for the hobby
and while it stinks to loose a few channels, there’s still a lot of good stuff out there.

anyway, are you sure its gonna be both 99w and 101w?
so far from what i've heard, it sounds like the 99w channels are going away, but i haven’t heard anything first hand about the 101w channels.

and on the new channel thing, check WUT for the new 87w channel ;)

I’m taking my FTA stuff down and relocating it into storage at the new house. There’s no reason for me to be in any hurry to put it back up.
All I’m going to worry about is getting my three dishes up for my subscription Dish stuff and a tower for my OTA.
FTA has dropped to the absolute bottom of my priority list. Putting up my sub stuff will be a cake walk, I don’t need to pay someone to do that, I can do it alone in one day.
I’ll plant the poles sometime in the next 2-3 weeks so they are ready for the big move, I’m running an RG-11 wire ahead of time so it can all be switched over in just a few hours.

After that I’m going to focus on my OTA tower so I can get Houston.

Maybe at some point in the winter I’ll reconsider putting the FTA dishes up. I see no real reason to worry or hurry anymore.
There’s one small motorized .9m KU dish up there now which I can use to get PBS (which I can also get on my Roku) and about 3 channels on 97w.
Nothing else really matters to me. Losing Weigel stuff is pretty close to being the nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned.

I get AT250 on Dish which 98% of it is garbage now. White trash TV is what it has degenerated to. Big foot, red necks, ghosts, fat kids, hippies in the woods and the never ending trainload of competition shows.
The only reason I keep the AT250 package is that I can’t do À la carte. The spread the channels that occasionally have content that requires brain cells to watch over the entire spread of tiers. It’s a scam that makes me have to subsidize the other 98% crapola white trash channels/shows.

On my Roku I have about 150 assorted channels, Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime. PBS is there as well and the shows usually sit there all month so you can watch them at your convenience.

The Amiko A3, obviously the Weigel recording problem is no longer of any concern. It has a lot of streaming video options baked in that the Roku does not.
Plus on the A3 I can watch Doctor Who several hours early, without commercials, watermarks and idiots dancing around the lower third of the screen waving and setting fire to things to alert me to a new show 3 months from now.

Most of the shows on MeTV, I have complete copies of the entire series. I just need to run them through one of my Macs and edit out the commercials and convert them to MKV.

I’m really upset that I just spent a LOT of money in the past few months and even more so over the course of the past 5 years on this hobby and now it’s dying and going away.
The stuff that I care about. Yes, there’s a ton of stuff up there for people that like foreign stuff or religious stuff or sports stuff. But none of those things interest me in the least and that leaves almost nothing up there for me now.
I don’t foresee new things appearing on FTA, not with the rush to push everything through the internet now. I see more stuff being scrambled and more stuff switching to IP streams which will cut us 100% out of the loop just as effectively as a scrambled satellite does.

When you’re watching TV over antenna or satellites, they have no way of knowing what you’re watching. When you watch it via IP streaming they can spy on you like never before and profit from that incursion into your life.
Such as the Roku. Read their privacy policy. They are just as evil as any other parasite corporation. They all are profiteering, evil scum. I fight back against them in my own way. I will not be the product.

So yeah, this is pretty much the end of FTA for me. There’s not much left and what little is left, it’s just a matter of time before it all goes away.
Over the winter if I get bored I may put a dish or two up but I have absolutely no plan to be in any hurry, if at all.
After MeTV and the others go black I probably won’t be around much anymore. I suppose I need to find a forum about OTA television so I can get some brainy help on building a wicked mega antenna for pulling in Houston, Houston is my best bet as there is a LOT of stuff on the air there. Of course that may take a huge hit when they auction off the 600mhz range this coming summer.
“Free” is bad. Free is un-American and anti-capitalism. Free must die so that profit may thrive.

I wish I could move to England. I would gladly pay the TV license fee to have what they have over there. The BBC is what PBS should be.

Adieu....

the past 5 years on this hobby and now it’s dying and going away
Not for the true hobbyist. :)

There’s not much left and what little is left, it’s just a matter of time before it all goes away.
Satellite TV is not going away anytime soon. There will be plenty of wild feeds for me to catch for years to come. :)

Reactions: dougruss
You could always put up a few FTA dishes that would receive some of the main channels that you have and slowly work your way back to having all the dishes back up again if you think it is worthwhile.

Have you tried putting more than one lnb on a dish?

Come on guys, not cool. Mocking people is a teenager thing and not something adults should be involved in. That certainly won't get her to come back.

People are all different, and handle things their own way, let's stay positive, because if she stays away for good this time, IMO, it'll be a net loss for the FTA community. She's one of the BEST documenters we have, and I don't want her ability in that to be lost forever.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)