Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cham

VE4GLS
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 19, 2008
Boonies
Thought I would try using some multi-switches on my system so I have more sats available to each receiver (4 for now). Just picked up a Zinwell 4803 (Thanx GotCband!) and have an SW44 kicking around as well.

The Zinwell looks fairly straight forward; 22KHz on/off selects which LNB and 14v/18v selects polarity, for each receiver connected.

Question a)
Does the SW44 work the same way regarding 22khz and voltage signals to select LNBF and polarity?

Question b)
Can I use a diseqc switch (between receiver and multi-switch) to select the various satellites via each multi-switch?

I remember someone providing a schematic or block diagram of a rather elaborate system using several multi-switches, power inserters, diseqc switches, etc. Just can't seem to find it!

Looking forward to doing some re-wiring!
:)

Question b)
Can I use a diseqc switch (between receiver and multi-switch) to select the various satellites via each multi-switch?

I remember someone providing a schematic or block diagram of a rather elaborate system using several multi-switches, power inserters, diseqc switches, etc. Just can't seem to find it!
Powered Multiswitches.jpg

Old picture, I have added a forth Zinwell SAM-4803

Reactions: Cham and KE4EST
Does the SW44 work the same way regarding 22khz and voltage signals to select LNBF and polarity?
no but some receivers specifically have "SW44" options in the diseqc menus (at least they did a couple years ago)

yes. picture is posted above

our friend anole (may he be looking down from us in heaven) has some pictures too
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/1344316/

and the original thread with lots of examples
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/switch-setups-simplified.134124/

Reactions: DJdish
I always remember Anole when it comes to switches,
I keep handy the second thread (i.e. the original one) posted above by Iceberg.

Yep that be the one! Thanx fellows, much appreciated.
Thought to try the Zinwell because it is powered lessening the load on the receivers. Have used ecoda switches in the past but found them unreliable. One receiver will have to power a dish motor so will have to figure out a way to accomplish that but I think it can be done reliably.
Heading to Grand Forks this am will have to pick up some RG6, will wave at FaT Air on our way past.. :)

Thought to try the Zinwell because it is powered lessening the load on the receivers.

Yep, acts as a power inserter also to power up all the lnb(f)s. I think you will be happy with the 4803's.
I have been running them for a while with no issues. They are built like a tank!

They are built like a tank!
Yes... almost as heavy as one too! Actually the power supply is quite heavy, maybe a linear with a real transformer, rectifier, and regulator? I am impressed with the build.
The uHD doesn't have an SW44 option, will check the AzBox and A3. I doubt if they have that option. If it doesen't work I can always order some more 4803s if I like them.

Yes... almost as heavy as one too! Actually the power supply is quite heavy, maybe a linear with a real transformer, rectifier, and regulator? I am impressed with the build.
The uHD doesn't have an SW44 option, will check the AzBox and A3. I doubt if they have that option. If it doesen't work I can always order some more 4803s if I like them.

Warning to others, only order these from Gotcband.com. If you order 4803's off Amazon, what may arrive wont be a 4803 (I forget the model number they send instead) It's power supply is just a tiny little wall wart also.

No your other boxes you mentioned will not have SW44. It was only listed in some boxes as there true intent was the theft of DISH network and that is what switches people would generally have, SW21, SW44, etc.
The SW44 use a slightly different protocol also, so if you don't have it in your receiver to send the proper command they will do you no good.

Reactions: Cham and fred555
Those 4803's sound great. Do you need a separate power supply for each multiswitch or does the power supply have enough juice that you could power several (maybe 3) with a couple of straight through tees
Amazon product ASIN B000AS7DI4 set up like this? View attachment 111502

The power supply is rated at 1 amp. The 4803's are marked near power input of maximum of 750 Milliamp.
Other than that I don't know what the switch draws itself aside from the lnb draw.
I am using 1 power supply per multiswitch, a separate box from the switches to reduce heat.

Reactions: FTA4PA
The power supply is rated at 1 amp. The 4803's are marked near power input of maximum of 750 Milliamp.
Other than that I don't know what the switch draws itself aside from the lnb draw.
I am using 1 power supply per multiswitch, a separate box from the switches to reduce heat.
Thanks for the info fred555. If the supply is putting out an amp and the 4803 uses a max of 750ma then there may be enough power for two (but probably not three though). Need to experiment I guess. :D

Reactions: fred555
Kind of thought the SW44 was not going to be much use. Had to switch subs from Bell to Shaw a year or so ago when the Bell receiver died (they wouldn't let us replace it!) so the dish and related apparati was removed from the roof. I'll leave it attached to the original Bell dish in case someone eventually can use it; the dish is too small for reliable FTA.

Fred I would use a different power supply if hooking up more than one of those switches. Add up the amperage and find a p/s with double that rating so it's not overloaded. 750ma is a lot of current for a 1amp power supply IMHO. Might have to build one as 24vdc at 4.5-5amps is not that common, but you never know... That will be over 175 watts to dissipate depending on how efficiently it is built.

Picked up a 100ft roll of quad shielded RG6 for some re-working at the dishes when I can get back to it. High winds and it's snowing here now so I don't think I'll be doing work on the dish farm for a few days. Trip home from Grand Forks was ok until we got just north of the 49th, then the road became very slippery and 50mph cross wind doesn't help.

Update:
Got the 4803 installed today, weather was acceptable.
Had trouble though, was getting poor signals on C-band via the C2W-PLL LNBF... Tried reversing the LNB ports for that LNBF and then the H side was poor. Was worried there was an issue with the LNBF but to rule out a cable issue I replaced both leads from the multi-switch to the LNBF... and presto, good signals on both polarities. LNBF is ok! Glad I picked up some new cable the other day.
So far only have the one C-band LNBF connected to the multi-switch. Will work on getting the 125W LNBF connected as well maybe tomorrow if the weather holds. Have C-band on diseqc port 1 on three 4-port diseqc switches to three receivers now.

Have dual LNBFs on 97 and 103, and dual on the motorized dish as well. I see I will have to obtain at least two more multi-switches for it all to work as I would like.

Fun stuff!

Reactions: KE4EST
The 4803's will get very very warm so keep that in mind when you mount them.

Fred I would use a different power supply if hooking up more than one of those switches. Add up the amperage and find a p/s with double that rating so it's not overloaded. 750ma is a lot of current for a 1amp power supply IMHO. Might have to build one as 24vdc at 4.5-5amps is not that common, but you never know... That will be over 175 watts to dissipate depending on how efficiently it is built.

I am running 4 4803's with 4 separate power supplies (the 1 amp ones that came with it.)
Its been working flawlessly so far. If I do lose a power supply I'm only going to drop a couple of sats and not all of them.

Also in certain cases you can use single output lnbfs and share them among all receivers.
On 125W I only care about the V polarities and on 95W the H, I have single output lnbfs on those dishes and have 95W wired to a single H input and 125W to the corresponding V. See the rightmost 4803 in my diagram on page 1. So, in theory, you could cram 4 lnbfs on 4 different sats on a single 4803.

Guess you can always turn the LNBFs a quarter turn to get the other polarity if you need it.. :)
So far unit isn't heating up much, but it's still only 28F outside and the switch is mounted inside a white aluminum box behind the C-band dish (out of the sunlight). Using the p/s it came with too, should be good enough.

Reactions: fred555
Status
Please reply by conversation.