multiple 622 issues

sansha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I've had my 622 for a few months, but this weekend, I really intended to give it a workout. I had a ton of programs scheduled to record, some football games, some back episodes of Mad Men I'd missed, a bunch of movies off the scifi channel from some disaster movie marathon they seemed to be running, and other movies. I had plenty of space on my hard drive, and planned to also shift stuff over to my 750 GB WD mybook drive if necessary. Late Sunday evening, I took a sweat break from yard work and went to take a look at what was recording, thinking to shift stuff if needed and pleasurably anticipating some tv and discovered that it had never woken up from its Saturday night guide download and had missed recording everything. It also had lost audio on the 2nd tuner. It missed half a football game (how I did that I'll never know) and again most of what I'd scheduled to record on Monday. Unplugging the DVR eventually fixed the 2nd tuner, but trying to run diagnostics foiled more recordings as I believe the dvr stuck on the guide again, which it tried to download after the diagnostics. By Monday night, I'd given up, and turned to a DVD -- really great when I'm shelling out 100+ a month for dish. I just checked it to see if it was stuck after the monday night guide and it seens it didn't and seems to be working now -- after not performing all weekend. I had so been looking forward to getting a little TV downtime this weekend and watching at least a little of that stash of recordings that I am surprisingly let down by this near total bust. I know it is ridiculous, but heck, one reason we pay $100 a month for tv is that when we do get a few minutes, we'd like the damn thing to have done what it was supposed to do. Not sure if I should file a tech report, given that the receiver seems fine now and I can't see sitting on the phone for half an hour when the diags show nothing. Any advice? Is this not unusual behavior for a 622? I know the DP's did this in the early days, but mine have been very reliable these last few years, so I'm not pleased the more expensive 622, with its multiple fees, has so underperformed so badly.

Welcome to "DISH Notwerk". Was it just a guide download or did you get a software download also? DISH is notorious for sending software out that causes glitches, and it usually take a power reset to get receivers working again.

How can I check if it had a software download this weekend?

Also, I generally shutdown the 622 (turn off the power button) as recommended to me when I am done watching, trusting the the device will wake itself up for scheduled recordings. The 622 didn't "wake itself up" this weekend. Should I not be turning it off? On Sunday, when I came back in, and turned it on, it immediately picked up its recording schedule from that minute (the red light came on one of the tuners, but of course it missed all the programs up till then, and it only picked up the last 13 minutes of the scheduled program in progress. Also, it recorded the start of a football game, then lost the middle and recorded the last hour, even though there was no rain and no reason for it to stop recording the game.

Is it possible that this is due to my having the external storage? I added the external HD the day we were allowed to do so, and it hasn't given me any trouble so far. But I also haven't had any trouble with my 622 until now either.
pat