My Dish Bill Getting out of Hand Any Ideas?

Like others have said, make a list of what you absolutely dont want to do without and go from there. You will probably find that there are alot of channels that you rarely watch that might allow you to drop a package down, or cut out a box somewhere.

Id also consider looking at Directv since you are not under contract. Often times Dish is cheaper, but with some setups Directv is (it is in my case). Also with new customer promotions you may end up saving a bundle. May not. Wont hurt to check though.

I think if you do a search, a while back folks posted there bills, you could see some diffrences for sure

It's amazing just how much people will spend just to watch TV. Do you REALLY need EVERY pay TV package and EVERY channel Dish Network offers? I remember my dad complaining when our CATV bill reached $12 a month. Today some people are spending well over $2,000 a year just to watch a lot of reruns that are available on DVD or free OTA.

What ever happened to families playing board games, reading books, playing outside, going for a walk, working on a jigsaw puzzle, etc.

It's amazing just how much people will spend just to watch TV. Do you REALLY need EVERY pay TV package and EVERY channel Dish Network offers? I remember my dad complaining when our CATV bill reached $12 a month. Today some people are spending well over $2,000 a year just to watch a lot of reruns that are available on DVD or free OTA.

What ever happened to families playing board games, reading books, playing outside, going for a walk, working on a jigsaw puzzle, etc.

Whether we decide to get every channel DISH has or to pay $2000/year or not is our choice so don't worry about it. It's not you're concern if you're not paying for TV (which by looking at your sig, it seems like you're paying for DISH as well so you're in the same boat as the rest of us)

Some people spend their money on entertainment differently than others. I don't hang out in bars, go to the movies a lot, never go to the races or gamble. I do travel a bit, which costs money but I'm not on the road every day, week, or even month. That $1800 a year that I pay Dish is worth every penny, to me!

Technology!! What ever happened to people going out, meeting someone new, and having a real conversation.... Or Privacy for that matter????????? One day, something will happen (probably really bad) and change what so many see as common place today.

BOT, yeah, take a look at your programming and cut where you can.

Some people spend their money on entertainment differently than others. I don't hang out in bars, go to the movies a lot, never go to the races or gamble. I do travel a bit, which costs money but I'm not on the road every day, week, or even month. That $1800 a year that I pay Dish is worth every penny, to me!

I agree. I'm disable now so I'm home 24/7. Audio/Video has always been my thing. I watch a lot of TV and really enjoy a great HD picture with an excellent 5.1 or 7.1 audio. The 200 HD pack with Platinum at $80.00/month is affordable for me right now. If the time comes that my bill increases or other more important bills need me to cut back, then I will, but for now I getting by just fine and enjoying myself.

Ghpr13:)

I was you for a few years and then last year i got rid of the movie channels except for the ones on Platinum (which I think is worth the $10) - got Netflix online to take care of all of my movie needs. I also dropped the Superstations - they are not in HD... so why bother. I really didn't watch them as most of what they have, I could find at another time (except for sports but I'm more into my local teams anyhow.) I also find they have a lot of specials thanks to this forum so when I was receiving the free platinum, I got Showtime for a few months... my goal was to keep the bill as close to $100 as possible. Also have the free Starz and Cinemax for 1 month (which I did twice this year..) It's nice that they changed the specials to automatically cancel at the end of the promotion instead of having to call in. Also easy to change programming on line these days... I do like the improvements at Dish...

My Dish bill is really getting up there. It has been creeping up for years and now with tax at $161.00 a month. I have two receivers 722's with The Everything 250+HD Package+HBO/SHOWTIME/CINEMAX/STARZ. Also have two packs of locals. Are others paying this high. I have no conract with them. Thinking about making some changes. With the DVR charges and the HD stuff over tha past few yrs I think my costs are up more than 25%. I have been paying them on time for more than 10 years. I dont pay for the monthly maint contract. The details are below. Appreciate any suggestions. Can I negotiate something better with them. At some point I would consider upgrading to the 922 on both of my sets. I never thought I would be paying this much. I understand that DirectTV would be even more. I di like the Dish technology for the most part.

Mar 31 - Apr 30 HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
America's Everything Pak 104.99
5 Superstations 7.00
Dish Platinum 10.00
DVR Service 6.00
HD 250 Free 0.00
$ 144.99
Taxes
Mar 16 State/Local Tax (Sales) 16.82
Total AutoPay on Apr 05, 2011 $ 161.81

Robert

Sorry I don't understand how anyboby watches Netflix. Mine looks like a bad sd signal. The only thing that looks good is Vudu HDX

Mine looks like a good DVD on my home theater. I play mine through my Wii, then Onkyo home theater, then to my HDTV. Maybe it's how you are setup. I have a 5.0MB cable internet service through wireless to the Wii.

bebop said:
Mine looks like a good DVD on my home theater. I play mine through my Wii, then Onkyo home theater, then to my HDTV. Maybe it's how you are setup. I have a 5.0MB cable internet service through wireless to the Wii.

Mine looks good too. Mine is thru my revue hooked to a switch with a 6mbps connection. And my bill is

AT250 $69.99
622+211k $24
Dvr service $10
Stars for 12 $0
Hd free $0
Service plan $6

$109.99

Wow, I must be a bigger cheapskate than most of you. I'm paying $56.99 per month for AT120+ and the Multi-sport add-on. I bought a 211k & HD dish outright, paid the one time $40 EHD, and paid the one time $99 Free HD for Life.

I'm soooo cheap, that I'll fall back to the $44.99 AT120 when the OKC Thunder are done. Then I'll go back to what I have now in time for NCAA football season.

Of course, it's just me & the wife these days... and we pretty much watch the same stuff at the same time. So my single sat tuner is just distributed through the house. Of course, all TVs have seperate access to local OTA channels.

And don't forget, when you're on the cheaper packages, the "free preview" channels every month are more meaningful to you. Except for paying more to get setup... I'm pretty cheap.

Cheers

Sorry I don't understand how anyboby watches Netflix. Mine looks like a bad sd signal. The only thing that looks good is Vudu HDX

What are you watching on and what is you net speed?

I agree, Vudu HDX looks the best, and since you say that, I assume your speed isnt the problem.
I will say that for me, Netflix looks decent through my 360 or PS3. For sure much better than the "bad sd" signal that you say that you get. HD, while not blu-ray, is very watchable and looks good. Even SD shows, when the signal is strong enough, looks as good as sat SD. Maybe even better.

It appears, if you are not exaggerating, that you have a setting messed up somewhere.

I have 4 ways to view Netflix. Through our Wii, our PC, my son's X-Box 360, and my Samsung C6500 Blu-Ray player. Only the Wii has a SD low quality picture. Streaming via any of the other 3 units and the PQ is great.

Ghpr13:)

Well, when you get just about all the channels, the bill will be high. Get Netflix and drop the Premiums. Maybe even go down to Top 200. That'll shave a decent amount off the bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts