My VOOMing is about to come to the end.

flipper2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
South Florida
I got Voom in early April and it's been anything but a good exp. Things got better with the release of v6 but it seems not much else is going on nor are they fixing the items that need to have been adressed before the freaking hardware went to market for the public LAST october. Not in any order but my biggest gripes are:

The Program Guide is ALWAYS wrong one way or another

When changing the stations you either lose the picture or the sound and need to go back to another station to get the picture/sound back. This is a terrible problem and customer support, like the way they do everything, claims they never heard of this problem (even though most of the people on the forum mention this often.

The once a week rebooting, (sometimes I go 2 or 3 weeks without a problem, sometimes 2 times a week). I never ever have to reboot my Directv STB.

I have been paying for both Voom (110.00) and DTV (70.00) since I got Voom, it's simply not worth the few usable stations Voom has that DTV doesnt have. TNT-HD, FSN-HD(when there is content) and some of the HD premium channels. But with all the issues and poor CSR's info, the outlook looks bleak. I'm going to seriously consider dropping this over the next week or so. I'm sure they will be right at my door to pick up the equipment, and these are the same people that cant schedule a service call to upgrade my OTA antenna for another month (but that is another story).

The DVR was promised around Summertime.. (they just didnt say which summer of what year).

I just replaced my D* HirdE56 with a Samsung t360.. and wow, with the same monster cables (component, since I still have DVI on the voom stb), its much sharper then anything on voom, and this is with D* reducing the bandwidth today (for football).

I like this forum and will continue to monitor and reply to people so im not leaving here. just need to really think about life with voom.. :)

flipper you need to qualify the statement about the PG. The PG is not always wrong. It is wrong in some of the exclusive channels not anywhere else. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Sean Mota said:
flipper you need to qualify the statement about the PG. The PG is not always wrong.

He doesn't need to qualify anything. That was just an expression of frustration can't you tell.
He's fed up (with some of the same problems many former VOOMers also experienced) so leave him alone.

Sean, it's all the guide issue. Big diff from what is used with D* and the voom one. The issue with 90% of the time program details are blank. Example. most of the stations today other premium's. It's just frustrating, i had such high hopes for voom, even thinking about cancelling D* over Voom, but with the Voom price going up in Jan and no sign of any of the original issues getting resolved, ya know....Peter R was a great help but it's beyond his control now.

flipper,

if you are talking about the PG problems everyone is having today, that's quite different than saying the PG is always wrong. The PG being wrong has been reported on some VOOM exclusives (specifically the Cinema 10 channels). I have not seen were the PG on other channels were wrong and were information was not there to begin with. As I said before, good luck and be happy.

txcruiser said:
He doesn't need to qualify anything. That was just an expression of frustration can't you tell.
He's fed up (with some of the same problems many former VOOMers also experienced) so leave him alone.

That's fine if it's out of frustration. But to state anything in general whether frustration or not is not correct. Let's call it right.

txcruiser why do you feel angry? I have as much right as you by asking and posting what I thought was not a correct statement. See that I did not question everything but just the PG "ALWAYS" statement. If you have a problem with that, skip the post and don't read it. I was not talking to you in the first place. So leave the thread alone.

Sean Mota said:
That's fine if it's out of frustration. But to state anything in general whether frustration or not is not correct. Let's call it right.

txcruiser why do you feel angry? I have as much right as you by asking and posting what I thought was not a correct statement. See that I did not question everything but just the PG "ALWAYS" statement. If you have a problem with that, skip the post and don't read it. I was not talking to you in the first place. So leave the thread alone.
you guys crack me up.. its frustration and out of patience...

Seriously, Sean, the program NEVER has the information presented the way it is on D* (I never saw Dish so i cant compare). I'mn going to call Voom one more time tommorow and see what they say about the problems. I try not to air all my laundry in public (Their has been alot of promises made that wereent kept on Vooms side). Just 1 example. "We are sorry for the problems you are having and we will credit the account back once the problems are resolved". The issue was the 15 second stutter. Once it was corrected, they said we are going to be unable to credit your account. Ect.. At this time I don't want to proceed further into it.

Another problem. Lipsyncing issues, some days no problem at all and other days it's there. I gotta run. Ill be back on tommorow.

The Voom PG is a step down from that from my old DTV STB. My father's new SD DTV STB program descriptions are soooo long they fill the screen. I am disappointed in the current guide descriptions but it has not been a deal breaker for me. I would rather have the HD content now with an improved guide in the future.

flipper2001 said:
you guys crack me up.. its frustration and out of patience...

Seriously, Sean, the program NEVER has the information presented the way it is on D* (I never saw Dish so i cant compare).

Not sure what this is.

flipper2001 said:
Just 1 example. "We are sorry for the problems you are having and we will credit the account back once the problems are resolved". The issue was the 15 second stutter. Once it was corrected, they said we are going to be unable to credit your account. Ect.. At this time I don't want to proceed further into it.

I do not know anything about this to the general public. If the CSR promised this to you and did not deliver complaint but it was not something made by VOOM to the general public.

flipper2001 said:
Another problem. Lipsyncing issues, some days no problem at all and other days it's there.

first time it is reported here. I wonder why you did not report it before. Maybe we can see what you are seeing and get to the root of the problem like when the stutter was not seeing by some but others saw it and a lot of data was given to the engineers to fix it.

Sean Mota said:
I was not talking to you in the first place. So leave the thread alone.

I didn't realize this was "personal" thread since it was posted for ALL to see.

Maybe you should start using a neat utility called "Send A Private Message To..." if you don't want anyone to respond that doesn't see things your way.

txcruiser said:
I didn't realize this was "personal" thread since it was posted for ALL to see.

Maybe you should start using a neat utility called "Send A Private Message To..." if you don't want anyone to respond that doesn't see things your way.

No quite. your attitude "leave him alone" is what is most inappropiate. I was not making fun of the guy or trying to make a mockery of the post, yet you felt that I was because I asked to "qualify the answer" (to one complaint) which I thought was appropiate. Yet I did say "leave the thread alone" because as usual you added nothing to the discussion and we are just wasting time and effort. :)

Saying Something That Questions The Greatness Of VOOM = Adds Nothing To The Discusssion at the Internets Largest VOOM Forum.

I now understand. Thanks!

txcruiser said:
Saying Something That Questions The Greatness Of VOOM = Adds Nothing To The Discusssion at the Internets Largest VOOM Forum.

The problem is that you did not ask :) You just opened the door without bringing the question. :rolleyes: I hope you really understand. :confused:

The moral of the story is: Don't wait until all the little problems pile up and you are so frustrated you are ready to quit Voom. Report problems as you see them! Maybe you are the first to notice, and maybe the Voom engineers need a trouble report.
txcruiser said:

Guards! Arrest that man! LOL

flipper - that Samsung t360 definitely rocks. My buddy has one, while I still have the E86. May have to upgrade myself. When you decide to come home for good, the door is open for you brother. My only advice is watch your credit card and beware of the "it will be taken care of in the next upgrade" statement. Good luck. :cool:

flipper2001 said:
I'm sure they will be right at my door to pick up the equipment, and these are the same people that cant schedule a service call to upgrade my OTA antenna for another month (but that is another story).

I've had a similar experience. I have sat at home waiting for six different appointments to get an OTA upgrade and fix for rain fade. They won't show up and don't even call to cancel. Last time I complained they decided that I don't have line of sight. I told them that's not true, but they are the experts. I canceled and asked for a complete refund. If I don't have LOS, then I could not have ever received service. Of course no one showed up for the un-install. I love Voom now that it's free, and hope they never show up. I get paper billing so I don't have to worry about my CC.