Will we be VOOMing come 1 Feb 05?

I say yes as well. Dish hinted that it will take 4 or more months to get the sale aproved. And in the PR Voom said they'd continue service until the transition is complete, unless of course they lied...

BFG said:
I say yes as well. Dish hinted that it will take 4 or more months to get the sale aproved. And in the PR Voom said they'd continue service until the transition is complete, unless of course they lied...
So VOOM bleeds money for another 2 quarters. The Cablevision board is gonna like that. NOT.

Yes...just because things in the business world take time.

If they are in operation after 2/1/03, do you think they will continue to advertise and add new customers for V* service? At what point do you think they would quit adding new customers???

jbcheshire said:
If they are in operation after 2/1/03, do you think they will continue to advertise and add new customers for V* service? At what point do you think they would quit adding new customers???

Don't get me wrong as I'm here until the end (not much choice - I love Cinema 10) but as was discussed in earlier threads (I'm not smart enough to know how to post them - sorry). Lostcause had it correct with "Voom will continue operating as normal until the day the CSRs show up to work and find a locked building. They will keep taking orders and schedule installs till the last minute. I'd be surprised if they did it any other way. This is how large companies operate".

That happens even in smaller companies. The political news magazine division of my former workplace was taking new orders up until the day the press release notification about shutting down was released.

mdonnelly said:
So VOOM bleeds money for another 2 quarters. The Cablevision board is gonna like that. NOT.

Your right the Cablevision Board would not like this until Charles Dolan, Tom Dolan and close friends decide to vote their stock. Stock holders share trumps board. Nobody has said anything about calling a stockholders meeting and asking for a vote. Could this be a possibility? Just asking.

gutter said:
Your right the Cablevision Board would not like this until Charles Dolan, Tom Dolan and close friends decide to vote their stock. Stock holders share trumps board. Nobody has said anything about calling a stockholders meeting and asking for a vote. Could this be a possibility? Just asking.
I guess Chuck and Tom need to buy back the stock and take Cablevision private, because NO set of stockholders is going to be comfortable losing $3000 per customer each quarter for the forseeable future.

Well I have my Voom bill here. It's messed up once more and I got charged this month for 3 months of service. Voom does not have my credit card # and I won't give it to them. I have been paying by check. The constant overcharges is why I cancelled the card. Anyway what I'm getting at is that I am not sending in a check until I see that programing is still on come Feb 1. I voted no but I hope I'm wrong.

"Voom will continue operating as normal until the day the CSRs show up to work and find a locked building. They will keep taking orders and schedule installs till the last minute. I'd be surprised if they did it any other way. This is how large companies operate".
No 60 day notice before potential large scale layoffs? Or is the satellite industry exempt?

mdonnelly said:
I guess Chuck and Tom need to buy back the stock and take Cablevision private, because NO set of stockholders is going to be comfortable losing $3000 per customer each quarter for the forseeable future.
With Cablevision stock rising it becomes harder for anyone to buy out the company. And if they did buy out the annoyed stockholders where would they get the money to continue operations? Can't spend the cash twice.

Cablevision gained value when they made a slow $200mill by selling a few Voom assets. They are not going to gain value if they reverse course and continue to waste money keeping Voom going. They may end up as a content provider ... the "Voom Movie Package" on E*. That is speculation. But that is only because it is a low cost income generator.

Having direct customers is expensive. The phone companies have figured that out. In many cases it costs more to bill customers than carry the calls. (Which is why some charge extra for detailed billing and others give a discount for non-print billing.)

But the name value of Voom isn't there. So it may end up being Dish HD Theatre :D with Cablevision being paid as little as possible for programming and maintaining the channels. Speculation but as long as it brings in more money than it costs a real possibility.

JL