Nagging 314 message on Dish via Hopper3

MorCowbell

Original poster
Jul 31, 2023
New Mexico
First post here ...

Having Dish "Top 120" service (w/ Hopper3 box) for several months now, I have noticed something than nags me vs. the Comcast/Xfinity cable service I had for years before.

When simply changing stations via Recall on the remote, at seemingly random times for inexplicable reasons, I get a confusing interim screen ("314 error") that forces me to another click ("Yes") to "return" to "Live Mode". But I never switched away from "Live Mode" !!!

In any guides I got from Dish, they never warned me of this ridiculous interim obstacle.

Pray tell, is there any settings adjustment, etc. that I can make to ride me of this obstacle? What's the work around ??

With Comcast/Xfinity (which in the end I was not fond of), in 1000 channel changes, an obstacle like this was never posed. It simply changed the channel !!!

Attachments

• Nagging Dish screen.jpg
    Nagging Dish screen.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I have no idea what "chase play mode" is.

In more experimentation, I find 2 related conditions set up this obstacle:
1. Pausing (as suggested by Altitudinous)
2. Rewinding a bit.

I'm less interested in knowing what causes this condition (which I think I have discovered) and more interested in making it go away permanently. Being repeatedly prompted with a notice:
Your request can only be carried out in Live Mode. Switch to Live Mode now?

is nagging and (as I said) NEVER happened with Comcast/Xfinity when toggling to a previous channel !! Dish should have realized that most of its customers are smart enough to know that when toggling channels, a place is lost in the initial channel. Another solution (which we see in Windows apps) is to present a box to be selected that says "Don't show me this again."
Or there shoul be an option in Settings to permanently bypass this prompt.

It sounds like there's no way to avert this ridiculous obstacle requiring an extra click with channel toggles.

Chase play mode or delayed live tv is when you pause/rewind and you're basically "chasing" the live feed.

If you want to avoid the notice just hold back to revert back to live TV and then change the channel. It's basically telling you "you will lose your spot here if you change channels, so to acknowledge that please go back to live tv and then change channels".

I can definitely pass your feedback on to our product/engineering department though!

I'm less interested in knowing what causes this condition (which I think I have discovered) and more interested in making it go away permanently.

It sounds like there's no way to avert this ridiculous obstacle requiring an extra click with channel toggles.
The way to avoid the popup message is: do not ever pause live TV on the first channel. Then, every time you switch to a different channel, you will not see the message.

Or, as stated above, do a long press on Back in order to go to live TV, and then change the channel. However, that would be a button press that you might find unsatisfactory.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Josh M. -
As I have said in my last post, I definitely understand what's causing this:

It's basically telling you "you will lose your spot here if you change channels, so to acknowledge that please go back to live tv and then change channels".

Most Dish users would know this. What I wonder is why this isn't (wasn't) ever an issue with cable TV service. In cable, if a viewer paused/rewound during a program, and then decided to toggle to another channel, the system wouldn't eve blink an eye - it would simply change channels!! The obstacle is mishandled by Hopper3 and there should be an easy way to disable it for those viewers who understand the message and/or don't care.

Anything you can do to escalate this up the Dish food chain would be HUGE. There needs to be a workaround.

Reactions: Josh.M
When simply changing stations via Recall on the remote, at seemingly random times for inexplicable reasons, I get a confusing interim screen ("314 error") that forces me to another click ("Yes") to "return" to "Live Mode". But I never switched away from "Live Mode" !!!

Any time you pause or rewind Live TV you have switched away from Live Mode. And I think it is good that Dish reminds you that switching channels will make you lose your current program location. Many of us do not watch Live but we use delayed start so that we can skip through the commercials. That message has saved me when my grandson attempted to switch channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a feature not a bug.

The receiver cannot change channels while the current programming is not up to live data and it warns you that you will loose the buffered content (not in so many words) if you proceed.

I don't see Dish making any changes.

It’s actually a user safety feature. Back in the early old 5xx receiver days, if you changed the channel, or hit the channel up/down button, the current buffered video was immediately dumped going to the new channel.

This upset many people because they were hitting a channel changing button “accidentally“, and they would lose what they want buffered. So Dish added a warning prompt that said you’re not at live TV and you need to go to live TV to change the channel. It’s been that way ever since.

Most Dish users would know this. What I wonder is why this isn't (wasn't) ever an issue with cable TV service.
The difference is different manufacturers of software. It's no different than saying android does this but ios doesn't.
It's the same as as when deleting something, asking are you sure you really want to delete this? Because technically you are deleting the cache. I've had times where I was paused but not recording and accidentally hit a button and if it wasn't for that popup I'd be a little upset at losing what I was watching.
I'm failing to see what the big deal is about pushing one extra button.

Any time you pause or rewind Live TV you have switched away from Live Mode. And I think it is good that Dish reminds you that switching channels will make you lose your current program location. Many of us do not watch Live but we use delayed start so that we can skip through the commercials. That message has saved me when my grandson attempted to switch channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like your easy solution is to go back to Cable to get what you are used to. This I a feature and not a bug. it serves a purpose and if clicking one more time to save the headeack that this prevents I don't know what to tell you

As I said way back in Post #4, I completely understand the cause of the obstacle. I only wish there was a way to permanently bypass the 314 warning. I would NEVER select "No" as a response because I already know what the the consequences are (and have 100 warnings ago). In Windows apps (for example), there is often a "Don't show me this again." That would have made for a more robust software for the Hopper3.

And I never said it was a bug - not sure what triggered comments like that.

It sounds like there is no bypass for this inconvenience, and that was my main question.

As I said way back in Post #4, I completely understand the cause of the obstacle. I only wish there was a way to permanently bypass the 314 warning. I would NEVER select "No" as a response because I already know what the the consequences are (and have 100 warnings ago). In Windows apps (for example), there is often a "Don't show me this again." That would have made for a more robust software for the Hopper3.

And I never said it was a bug - not sure what triggered comments like that.

It sounds like there is no bypass for this inconvenience, and that was my main question.
You've never accidentally pressed channel up or down in all the years of your life?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)