NBA 2008-09 Season

...also, add the Knicks teams that lost to the Bulls in the Eastern conference finals would beat just about any team now.....the teams of the 80' and Bulls of the 90s were TOTATL and COMPLETE teams....I would say the 80's and some of the 90s teams almost had either a HOF or border line HOF......the teams now are no where near that...to me atleast.....

The fact that the Bull's couldn't break through until the 90's says a lot about the talent in the NBA of the 80's. LeBron would be a dominate player in that era, just the same as Wade and Kobe. Those three are just too damn good, but none of their current teams would have been nothing but also-rans in that decade.

The team that best represents how tough that era may have been might be the 76er's.

I'll let Salsa do the talking on that team. I'll just start it off... Dr. J, Moses Malone, Maurice Cheeks.......

Salsa, your turn....

The fact that the Bull's couldn't break through until the 90's says a lot about the talent in the NBA of the 80's. LeBron would be a dominate player in that era, just the same as Wade and Kobe. Those three are just too damn good, but none of their current teams would have been nothing but also-rans in that decade.

The team that best represents how tough that era may have been might be the 76er's.

I'll let Salsa do the talking on that team. I'll just start it off... Dr. J, Moses Malone, Maurice Cheeks.......

Salsa, your turn....

...Bobby Jones, Lionel Hollins, Toney.... GOD in heaven I loved those 80s '6ers teams..... The 82-83 team TO ME, was probably one of the most underrated NBA champions of ALL time. THAT team won 65 games and DOMINATED like NO OTHER in the playoffs....good ole "fo, five, fo" .....

Since I am too young, what do you guys remember about Pistol Pete Maravich? I remember my old man raving about this fella.

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E shooter AND passer.

Unfortunately for him, he played on some pretty sucky teams in New Orleans.

He was a member of the 1979-80 Celtics (Larry bird's rookie season), but the celtics lost in five games to the Sixers in the ECF after having the best regular season record, depriving Pistol Pete of a well deserved NBA Championship.

Pistol Pete was a phenomenal talent! :up

...Bobby Jones, Lionel Hollins, Toney.... GOD in heaven I loved those 80s '6ers teams..... The 82-83 team TO ME, was probably one of the most underrated NBA champions of ALL time. THAT team won 65 games and DOMINATED like NO OTHER in the playoffs....good ole "fo, five, fo" .....

They were a dominant team that year, to say the least! They also got key contributions from two rookies: Marc Iavaroni and Russ Schoene.

Since I am too young, what do you guys remember about Pistol Pete Maravich? I remember my old man raving about this fella.

We didn't have as much TV back then, not like now. Let's just say that Pete would have been on Sports Center everyday if he played today. Probably the best college player of all time. He probably still holds a crap load of scoring records. (He only had 3 years of eligibility back then, and no 3-point line). The ultimate "gym rat". Could and would shoot and score from anywhere on the court. Tremendous ball handling skills also. Suffered from teammates who liked to watch in awe of his skills, kind of like Jordan's teammates on his early Bull's teams. Check YouTube, there is probably something there.

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E shooter AND passer.

Unfortunately for him, he played on some pretty sucky teams in New Orleans.

He was a member of the 1979-80 Celtics (Larry bird's rookie season), but the celtics lost in five games to the Sixers in the ECF after having the best regular season record, depriving Pistol Pete of a well deserved NBA Championship.

Pistol Pete was a phenomenal talent! :up

Not to mention and AMAZING showman....that guy WAS the Harlem Globetrotters in one player! IF he could have dunk.....OMG, the thought alone is scary.....:eek:

Remember the long sagging socks?

pete-maravich.jpg

Thanks for the accounts guys. I do wish there were more video of the players back in the day.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5BxF2RJ7Xk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l5BxF2RJ7Xk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Pistol Pete playing H-O-R-S-E

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9JLJunoxlc]YouTube - Pistol Pete Maravich plays HORSE[/ame]

Tonight's TNT doubleheader:

Boston at Philly- just getting underway

Utah at LA Lakers- 10:30 ET

Two matchups that we could be seeing again this weekend, when the playoffs start.

Bill, how do you feel about Boston playing either the 76ers or the Bulls? (You expressed concern about the Pistons)

At THIS point I'd rather play the Sixers. BUT, everything being equal, I'd rather play the Bulls.

Sorry about the wishy-washy response :D, but RIGHT NOW the Sixers are struggling and the Bulls are not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)