NBA Basketball 2009-10 Season

Is LeBron tipping his hand as to say he's staying in Cleveland? Players who don't change teams have to apply to change their number in March before the previous season. If he were to go to a new team, he wouldn't have to file an application.

LeBron James files application for No. 6 jersey for the 2010-11 season | cleveland.com

Not really...because of marketing of his jersey and the popularity...in Lebron's case, he has to. Imagine if he tells no one, and next year....he changes his jersey number after the league and merchandisers ordered a trilloin of his #23...?

The NBA does not have to fulfill the request, players who don't change teams have to apply to change their number in March before the previous season. However, the wave of new jersey sales the switch promises to trigger would likely be too enticing for the league to turn down.

In 2006, Kobe Bryant requested his number to be changed from No. 8 to No. 24. The NBA approved the move and Bryant's jerseys quickly shot to No. 1 in sales across the world. James has been in the top three in jersey sales in the U.S., China and Europe in recent years but hasn't enjoyed the top spot for several years.
....from the same article.

Not really...because of marketing of his jersey and the popularity...in Lebron's case, he has to. Imagine if he tells no one, and next year....he changes his jersey number after the league and merchandisers ordered a trilloin of his #23...?

....from the same article.

You don't seem to get what I'm saying.

A) If LeBron remains in Cleveland, he HAS to file an application to change jersey numbers.

B) If LeBron goes to team XYZ, he DOESN'T. He can pick any number available he wants. If he were to go to a new team, no one is just going to assume his number will remain #23. That will be up to him.

LeBron chose option A. It's possible he is just covering all his bases like Cosmo said, but since he's going through the process, it indicates that he may just be staying put.

LeBron to be Named Player of the Month

But that's not the extent of the news. Cavaliers beat writer Brian Windhorst is reporting that James will be the recipient of his fourth Eastern Conference Player of the Month award for 2010. (He's already won for November, December & January).

While the official announcement will likely come later today, this is James’ sixth straight Player of the Month award dating back to last season and 15th overall.

Can LeBron go for the Calendar Slam for monthly MVP awards? If he wins for March and April, he'll do so. Has this every happened before?

Iverson done for the season. Looks like the health issues with his daughter are pretty bad. Sad. I would find it hard to leave my seriously ill child too.:(

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4958709"]Allen Iverson is not returning to Philadelphia 76ers this season - ESPN[/ame]

You don't seem to get what I'm saying.

A) If LeBron remains in Cleveland, he HAS to file an application to change jersey numbers.

B) If LeBron goes to team XYZ, he DOESN'T. He can pick any number available he wants. If he were to go to a new team, no one is just going to assume his number will remain #23. That will be up to him.

LeBron chose option A. It's possible he is just covering all his bases like Cosmo said, but since he's going through the process, it indicates that he may just be staying put.
It's really nothing more than decisions we all have to make on a regular basis.

This is something I went through just a few years ago. I was looking to switch employers and was going through the interview process with my new prospective employer. My benefit election period for my current employer was ending, so I had to sign up for those choices, even though I was hoping I would get the new job and wouldn't need them at my "old" job. But, I had to sign up for the benefits in case I didn't end up getting the new job. Same thing.

P.S. - I ended up getting the new job.

The only blue and orange that LeBron will ever wear

1000002614.jpg

Come Home Big Fella! Please! A Special Comment by HD MM

Before LeBron James, a 7'3" Lithuanian was the face of our franchise. He never sought the spotlight or complained when things didn't go his way. He was a metaphor for all things great about this city. Despite hardships, he went to work each day and didn't complain about a thing. He had a big soul and this city loved him every step of the way.

In 1996, Zydrunas Ilgauskas was drafted #20 overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers and has been with this team up until just recently when he was traded to Washington for Antwan Jamison. He's since been released and we're waiting to see if he will return to Cleveland or not.

The trade was an emotional one. Big Z has been such a huge part to this team and this city for so long. He's endured so much here in Cleveland: Terrible teams, ugly uniforms, injuries that threatened his career and the loss of a child during his wife's pregnancy. Even so, Big Z has been a class act, a community supporter and one of the most lovable athletes this city has ever seen.

Right now, Z has the opportunity to come back to the city that loves him so much and finish out his career by competing for a Championship on the team that drafted him. There's no doubt there were bridges that have been burned by the trade, but if Z could once again, let his cooler head prevail and give this team and city one more chance, he won't be sorry.

If he choses a different team and the Cavs go on to win a Championship, the title would be bitter sweet and just wouldn't feel right if Z wasn't here to celebrate on the team where he belongs.

Zydrunas, we miss you and we love you. Come home big fella. I have ticket to the first home game you are eligible to return to the Cavs (Sunday, March 28th against Sacramento) and you better bet your ass you'll see just how much we missed you! You will get the standing ovation of a lifetime. It will be an emotional event. Celebrating your return means the world to Cleveland. Please come home Z. Please!

PS. Here's a tribute video I found on YouTube on Zydrunas. The video inspired me to write the above and also made me get all choked up here at work. Take a look....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7yecBnltNk]YouTube - Farewell Zydrunas Ilgauskas[/ame]

Amare Stoudemire has activated Beast Mode since the Suns decided not to trade him.

Don't overlook Phoenix come playoff time- they could be a tough out.

Old Footage to Remind You How Good NBA Fans Have it Now

Wardens pull Plax's playtime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)