NBC East/Central HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Supershooters

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 11, 2007
Is NBC East/Central HD feeds scrambled? I was thinking of getting an FTA receiver for it.

No. They do, however, run very high bitrate H.264 video, which most FTA receivers don't support, and only the fastest PCs can decode. Even my quad-core 2.8 GHz Opteron machine can't quite keep up.

No. They do, however, run very high bitrate H.264 video, which most FTA receivers don't support, and only the fastest PCs can decode. Even my quad-core 2.8 GHz Opteron machine can't quite keep up.

Interesting. I don't know too much on technical terms but a high bitrate should put a pretty picture on the screen. Any clue as to what receiver would work? I see so many names, pansat, sonicview, dreambox, sathawk, coolsat, blah blah. the agony of finding the right receiver (trial and error) would not make it worth it.

thanks

Whats the cache on that Opteron? Also do you think the Pansat 9200 HD could keep up with that transponder?

Whats the cache on that Opteron?

1 MB per core. This is an old (2003) dual socket-940 machine, modern hardware would probably outperform it.

I'm still trying to get hardware-accelerated video decoding to work, but ATI's Linux drivers are being a PITA. Nvidia's drivers are better but they don't appear to offer any AGP cards with VDPAU support.

As for the Pansat, only one way to find out. Swing yer BUD over to 105W and tune in 3780H, DVB-S2 8PSK, 30000 ksps

I am still torn if I should go with an AZBOX next year or a USB Sat card. I would think the the Sat card would be like the Winradio and be very configurable with future add ons in software. What are your thoughts?

I am still torn if I should go with an AZBOX next year or a USB Sat card. I would think the the Sat card would be like the Winradio and be very configurable with future add ons in software. What are your thoughts?

We're certainly getting off-topic here, but both have pros and cons. A PC tuner is by far the most versatile option. You get access to the raw transport stream and can do basically whatever you want with it. Tons of software is available, and it's not too hard to write your own.

On the other hand, the Azbox (or most other STBs) will give you a decent blind scan. The only blind scan method I've gotten to work on my PC tuners is a brute force approach that takes hours to run.

So maybe both.

I have both a USB receiver and a HD STB. They are separate tools for different jobs although they have some overlap. I.E., you would want both a phillips and a standard screwdriver and not make do with just the standard driver if your trying to turn a phillips head screw. The USB receiver does 4:2:2 with the right codecs and the STB doesn't. However the HD output of the STB is much superior to the output from the USB receiver. The closest thing that pretty much does it all is a high end Azbox. But, I can use my USB receiver and TsReader to analyze transport streams and you can't do that with an Azbox, ect.

I have used an Pansat 9000 on that nbc channel and it had a hard time keeping up. The picture was jerking a lot.

..... However the HD output of the STB is much superior to the output from the USB receiver. The closest thing that pretty much does it all is a high end Azbox. But, I can use my USB receiver and TsReader to analyze transport streams and you can't do that with an Azbox, ect.

Agree re Azbox being the STB that can do most modes, but I don't agree that the output of the USB receiver is inferior to an STB. Probably correct if you're talking about displaying it on the PC, but if you use TSREADER to stream that output to a box like the PopCornHour to display on your TV, then there is virtually no difference in the HD quality. Of course the PCH can't do the HD 4.2.2, but it does most other modes. The total is a bit more expensive, but if you get TSREADER, a PCH, a Genpix and a TeVii, and you can do much more than the Azbox. The TeVii would do all the DVB-S2, and the Genpix would do DCII, turbo modes, and DSS. Also, with this combination, you can also RECORD and PLAYBACK all of the above, whereas the Azbox can't record/playback the high bitrate HD. Of course, get both the Azbox and those PC devices, and you can do even more. When I first got my Azbox, I was hoping that I could stream the 4.2.2 HD to the Azbox from my PC, but that didn't work. The Azbox has the same limitation re bitrate for streaming that it does for recording/playback.

What about 103W Ku for the HD feeds? That's what I'm looking for.

Well believe it or not, there are 2 birds I have trouble with. One is AMC-21, and the other is AMC-1. For some strange reason I can't get any signal on them that amounts to much. For example, The Pentagon Channel on the 103 bird is only at 40% for me. The NBC mux you are wondering about is really struggling at 60 to 63 percent. That is not enough for me to make a judgement on. When the signal was up enough for it to pop in, it was fine for the few seconds it was there. Then I would loose signal again. Sorry. Have a great day!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)