NBC Local On KU-Band besides news?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Last knight I went to sit down and watch the new Knight Rider 2008 movie. To my horror the local NBC channel was off the air. I also don't have a digital tuner to see if that was up. Plus I don't have cable so (Not that i know how they get away with it) but they show the Salt Lake City NBC channel as well as the local channel for NBC. I didn't think you could do out of market channels. But that is another talk. I looked and looked but could only find NBC new channels like MSNBC.
Luckly for me they are showing it again saturday night. But would like to avoid this. I think I can't find a CBS station too.

Any Help,

Thanks,

Josh

Yeah, but I think Josh is looking for the regular network programming, Prime Time, anyway. Now I'm wondering if the 4:2:2 NBC muxes on 103W carry what he's looking for? 4:2:2 raises another issue, of course. I get them with my skywalker-1 DVB setup, but DVB is not the "cheap" way to go, but a good "hobby" way to go.

:)

Brent

[edit]
The NBC muxes on 103W look like the NBC solution for you Josh, just don't know how to get them economically.

Last edited:
the NBC muxes on 103 are the national feeds so yes it would be on there. They're the same as what is on AMC4 C-Band

to get them he would need a PC card

Networks

If a person really needs the networks, C Band is the way to go. I am planning on upgrading my C Band from the 6'er to a 10' this summer. I will leave the 6' fixed on G16 so that the nets are always there. At least at my location, they are very strong and I have no problem with the 6' dish.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help. I know I talked about getting a blind scan receiver before and that deal feel through. But thanks to tax returns. After I get my truck fixed. AKA in the shop now. I have money for a new receiver. I do have a cband dish but it is in storage since the house I'm in is not my own house. I'm can't decide to put a post in and goto the trouble or just store the dish.

I think I got the abc stations but not the cbs station. I'll look tonight and check.

Thanks again for the help.

Later,

Josh

the NBC muxes on 103 are the national feeds so yes it would be on there. They're the same as what is on AMC4 C-Band

to get them he would need a PC card

What makes these feeds so unusual that a PC card is required?

What makes these feeds so unusual that a PC card is required?

Feel free to stand me corrected, those of you that undertsand the codecs more, but from what I understand, 4:2:2 is a much more complex standard and requires a LOT more processing power to decode...much more so than any STB can decode, therefore, it must refer to a computer processor to decode it. And not just any old computer processor. You need some horsepower. I get my motherboard back Tuesday, so, I'm gonna give Windows Vista 64 a shot, to see if it's any improvements over XP 32-bit.

I think you're at least partly correct. The 4:2:2 NBC feeds are not too intensive, but if you encounter an HD 4:2:2 feed , then you have a lot of data to contend with, and it tends to tax even a PC solution, at least mine. Many of the 4:2:2 feeds are 720x512 or 720x480 , which handle pretty easily on a pc, and probably on an stb, too. I've seen 1920x180i, 4:2:2 and it had my pc working very hard. If somebody DOES bring out an HD box that supports 4:2:2, it'll have some horsepower .
:)

Brent

- DVB setup --
Athlon X2 4600+
2GB RAM
Windows XP Pro,
ATI Radeon 2600HD XT, 256 MB GDDR4
Genpix Skywalker-1
DvbDream 1.4i
Tsreader/VLC

The tests of the newer Nvidea ( 8500/8600 series) and ATI (2400/2600 series ) video cards at Toms Hardware conclusively shows that decoding of the h.264 stream by the video hardware, substantially reduces cpu load. By the same token, I suspect, 4:2:2 video , if decoded by hardware , instead of software , will also reduce the cpu load substantially.
I have no doubt that somebody COULD manufacture an stb with these features , supporting dvb-s and dvb-s2 , but I wonder if they WILL anytime soon. Until then, I get to keep my fairly kludgy pc-based solution.

Sometimes the NBC feeds seem to lack video, but have sound only for live shows. Is that 4:2:2 or HD. I'm wondering what happened to the video for my favorite show in Saturday nights?

Status
Please reply by conversation.