NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

If you wanna go back to the beginning of the BCS in 1998:

SEC: 4-0
Big-12: 2-3
Big-10: 1-2
ACC: 1-2
Big-East: 1-2
Pac-10: 1-1

And that's how I rate the conferences, from top to bottom.

SEC should of been 5-0 but wasn't it GA that went undefeated and didn't even make it to the game?

These stats are only history and have NO BEARING on future performance. Anyone who is foolish enough to think that whenever the SEC manages to get a team into the game that the team is a sure-fire winner is a fool. Also, how soon we forget that there were lots of people who thought Florida should not have even been in the championship game last year, in fact, you would not have to look far to find some that still hold that view.

Yea like OSU :)

I think the BCS was a bit lienant on the SEC because they screwed them just 2 years prior.

You really feel the Big East is better than the Big Ten ???

You must have put that in there to see what others had to say , right ?

In the Pre season polls the Big east has 2 teams, 8. West Virginia and 21. S. Florida, thats it.
While the Big Ten has 5 at the start.
Now we know that the Pre season is just a rough idea, but they have to have somewhere to start.
Personally, I would not rank Michigan in the top 25 at the start, until they win some games.

Jimbo

Somebody ranked MICHIGAN in the top 25? Personally I wouldn't rank ANYBODY until 5 games have played. I think polls are a joke anyhow. Look how wrong they got it all last year.

[/B]

Somebody ranked MICHIGAN in the top 25? Personally I wouldn't rank ANYBODY until 5 games have played. I think polls are a joke anyhow. Look how wrong they got it all last year.

You make a really good point Paul, that IS why the BSC polls don't come out till later, but what it all boils down to is right here in front of us.
It's football season and thouse of use on our computers across the USA and possibly other areas are TALKING about what possision thier favorite team is starting in, the talk fuels college football every year, so THAT is why they bring the polls out early.... so we have something to debate about :D

Jimbo

I really don't hate the Big 10, HD. I just refuse to believe that two conferences that have combined to win 4 national titles since the BCS began in 1998 (USC, Texas, and Oklahoma) could be ranked behind a conference with 1 BCS win in 11 years.
Because that conference that you keep saying has only 1 BCS win (a national championship win btw), contains 2 teams now that have 3 BCS wins (with one being a national championship) from the Big East.

Perhaps the Big East should stop relying on the laurels of Miami to show their "greatness". Especially since Miami was the only reason they were ever a BCS conference in the first place.

I thought the season end polls were pretty accurate. ;)
The SEC being #1 & #2, I'd have to agree.
To bad UGA lost the tiebreaker to UT (damn you Kentucky for choking), then the SEC championship game would have actually been the true National Championship Game (as it should it be ;) ).

SEC should of been 5-0 but wasn't it GA that went undefeated and didn't even make it to the game?
That was Auburn.

edit... didn't see the response above, were posting at the same time. I think Auburn could have beaten USC, I know they would have done better than Oklahoma, would have been a great game.

There is plenty of qualty football played across this land and in multiple conferences.

At no time though has any conference dropped in talent or stature to be anywhere close to supplanting the Big Least as #6.

Non SEC Conferences are far closer to having respective play kick up a notch or two and be level with the SEC than having play deterioate five or six rungs to drop down to Big East levels.(IMO)

...and you accuse US of homerism? HA!

"dropped in talent or stature" eh?

I give you as evidence the ACC of the "FSU and the seven dwarfs" years. Now THAT was pathetic. The PAC10 before Pete Carrol. Same.

The Big East has 7 quality teams. To be honest, that's about equal with the mega conferences, as some of the bottom halves here are just sad (I'm looking at you, Big 10).

That was Auburn.

edit... didn't see the response above, were posting at the same time. I think Auburn could have beaten USC, I know they would have done better than Oklahoma, would have been a great game.

Auburn was on probation at the time.

The SEC being #1 & #2, I'd have to agree.
To bad UGA lost the tiebreaker to UT (damn you Kentucky for choking),..............

Damn, that UT game was painful - at least the ending. And they keep replaying it lately on CBS College Sports.

Auburn was on probation at the time.
Not for the 2004 season they weren't. They went on to the Sugar Bowl and beat Virginia Tech.

The problem was that the pre-season polls had USC & Oklahoma as #1 & #2. auburn started at #17(AP)/#18(Coaches). They rose to #3, but since neither Oklahoma or USC lost a game, they couldn't leap either of them, even though arguably Auburn had a tougher schedule than Oklahoma.

Last edited:
Not for the 1994 season they weren't. They went on to the Sugar Bowl and beat Virginia Tech.

The problem was that the pre-season polls had USC & Oklahoma as #1 & #2. auburn started at #17(AP)/#18(Coaches). They rose to #3, but since neither Oklahoma or USC lost a game, they couldn't leap either of them, even though arguably Auburn had a tougher schedule than Oklahoma.
I think you mean 2004.

...and you accuse US of homerism? HA!

"dropped in talent or stature" eh?

I give you as evidence the ACC of the "FSU and the seven dwarfs" years. Now THAT was pathetic. The PAC10 before Pete Carrol. Same.

The Big East has 7 quality teams. To be honest, that's about equal with the mega conferences, as some of the bottom halves here are just sad (I'm looking at you, Big 10).

If by quality teams you mean all being relatively mediocre then you are right Big East has 7 of them.

As I said earlier WVA is a very good program, not elite though. A solid top10-20 type team on most years.

S Florida is an up and comer on the rise IMO.

The rest of the Big East is devoid of talent and would be bottom feeders in any other BCS conference.

Rutgers and their ilk are last place teams in the SEC and about any other BCS Conference.

That such teams eke out a 8-4 record while playing likewise mediocre teams and go to some minor bowl game means absolutely nothing.

Mc Nabb's Yard Vandalized

Alonzo Mourning retires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)