NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

I don't understand how after just one game that the pollsters can leap USC over Georgia. That makes no sense what-so-ever.

But you say hey USC was awesome against Virginia, true, but does anyone know how good Virginia is.
What if Virginia sucks, will they same pollsters remember that and dock USC for winning a game that against bad team. Not Likely.
Just another reason why the games may be interesting, College Football's system is a joke.
Even if the polls don't remember, the computers will. That's why the polls are only 2/3 of the equation. And I'm not saying the Virginia is bad. They may be the beast of the ACC. :) Who knows? USC just might be really good.

I think the message being sent by the pollsters is great. STOP scheduling these pathetic opening games. Play a real team. This coming from a TN fan who just watched us lose our opening game to UCLA, but that was a helluva lot more exciting than watching us 59-0 over a glorified high school team. TN may lose some big games because of our scheduling but it makes it great for the fans. Including last year and into the next 7 years we have home and away games set up with Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Going to any of those schools and losing still makes for a more long lasting memory than beating up on GA Southern. Screw all these teams with the pathetic schedules.

Last edited:
I don't understand how after just one game that the pollsters can leap USC over Georgia. That makes no sense what-so-ever.
More impressive victory. As it was, the margin between UGA and USC wasn't much.
I fully expected that the winner between USC & Ohio St. on the 13th would be #1, as the winner would get all the losers votes, thus catapulting them over Georgia.

But things like this is why early season polls are worthless. They need to wait until late in the season before doing the polls, like the Harris Poll & BCS Poll is done.

I think the message being sent by the pollsters is great. STOP scheduling these pathetic opening games. Play a real team. This coming from a TN fan who just watched us lose our opening game to UCLA, but that was a helluva lot more exciting than watching us 59-0 over a glorified high school team. TN may lose some big games because of our scheduling but it makes it great for the fans. Including last year and into the next 7 years we have home and away games set up with Cal, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Going to any of those schools and losing still makes for a more long lasting memory than beating up on GA Southern. Screw all these teams with the pathetic schedules.

But like I said, we and the pollsters already knew that Georgia was playing Geo. Southern. Same deal for Ohio State playing Youngstown St.

If your going to penalize teams for playing Directional U or Podunk State, apply it consistently.
If your basing on performance how in the world is Clemson still in the Top25 in any poll.

My point on the polls is what are they, are they an aggregate poll for the whole season or "pick of the week". What happens next week since USC and now LSU are not playing.

As for the BCS computer polls, thanks to the "Herby Factor" and people who figured out the formula they'll do what they did at the end of last season, adjust the polls to negate the computers.

<shakes head>It's all a joke.

But like I said, we and the pollsters already knew that Georgia was playing Geo. Southern. Same deal for Ohio State playing Youngstown St.

If your going to penalize teams for playing Directional U or Podunk State, apply it consistently.
If your basing on performance how in the world is Clemson still in the Top25 in any poll.

My point on the polls is what are they, are they an aggregate poll for the whole season or "pick of the week". What happens next week since USC and now LSU are not playing.

As for the BCS computer polls, thanks to the "Herby Factor" and people who figured out the formula they'll do what they did at the end of last season, adjust the polls to negate the computers.

<shakes head>It's all a joke.
You are absolutly right, they can negotiate the computers at the end of th eyear to say what ever they want ... Turns out they probably have 2 guy's sitting in a room with a bunch of computers and say, hmmmm.... who would you like to see play the MNC game ?

Chances are that OSU wins Saturday and jumps Georgia and we suddenly have a # 1 vs # 2 .... imagine that :D

Jimbo

Chances are that OSU wins Saturday and jumps Georgia and we suddenly have a # 1 vs # 2 .... imagine that :D
Doubtful, the point spread there is too much in the Coaches, and while the AP spread is only 9 points, that means Ohio St. has to get some of Georgia's #1 votes, which is unlikely as that number remained constant. When USC moved to #1 in the polls, they pulled more votes away from Ohio St. than UGA (hence the buckeyes drop from 2 to 3).

Though if Ohio St. wins on the 13th, they'll leap Georgia, by getting all the former USC votes, but personally I think USC will win.

Jimbo

Doubtful, the point spread there is too much in the Coaches, and while the AP spread is only 9 points, that means Ohio St. has to get some of Georgia's #1 votes, which is unlikely as that number remained constant. When USC moved to #1 in the polls, they pulled more votes away from Ohio St. than UGA (hence the buckeyes drop from 2 to 3).

Though if Ohio St. wins on the 13th, they'll leap Georgia, by getting all the former USC votes, but personally I think USC will win.

My post was purely hypothatical, I don't expect it to happen, but it would not surprise me at all.

Jimbo

My post was purely hypothatical, I don't expect it to happen, but it would not surprise me at all.

Jimbo

It could happen. How do Ohio and Central Michigan compare with each other? Comparing how bad tOSU and Georgia beat each respective team could be the deciding factor on where they're ranked next week.

It could happen. How do Ohio and Central Michigan compare with each other? Comparing how bad tOSU and Georgia beat each respective team could be the deciding factor on where they're ranked next week.
I don't think either game will change things. The real movement will be the following weekend when Ohio St. visits USC and Georgia goes to Arizona St.

Like any of this matters right now. (Except to give you guys something to talk about.) It's a long road to January. This will be more interesting once teams start to lose.

Here's an interesting question:

In 2005, Notre Dame and Texas Tech both went 9-3. The Irish went to the Fiesta Bowl, and many, many people were against that.

As HD MM probably knows, the Irish got bi*ch-slapped by OSU in the Fiesta Bowl.

My question is, why didn't Texas Tech get snapped up? They had the same record, and were more explosive than the Irish (Ironically, Cody Hodges had numbers that weren't as good as Harrell's).

A Texas Tech-Ohio State Fiesta Bowl? THAT would have been awesome! (And could happen this year, though Sandra would be scared to death at the thought of Malcolm trying to cover Crabtree)

I don't remember everything about that year Sabres but I'll venture a guess. ND, in 05, was legitimately good, regardless of their bowl performance. That was the year that ND nearly beat USC, who was unbeatable until the Rose Bowl. TT, in spite of their 9-3 record, has a history of loading up on cupcakes and getting drilled by all the quality teams they face. I believe, somewhere in that 9-3 record was a woodshed beating from Texas. ND held their own against USC while TT was exposed as pretenders by the Horns. Until the boys in Lubbock ever learn to play defense, doubtful, they will never be taken seriously as a national contender.

It all had to do with the Big East. Notre Dame while not in the Big East in football takes a BCS slot away from the Big East if they have a better record than any other Big East team. I think this sucks but that is what I heard in the past.

It all had to do with the Big East. Notre Dame while not in the Big East in football takes a BCS slot away from the Big East if they have a better record than any other Big East team. I think this sucks but that is what I heard in the past.
That is correct. For the Big East bowl agreements (with the exception of the BCS Bowls), Notre Dame is considered a Big East team.

Here's an interesting question:

In 2005, Notre Dame and Texas Tech both went 9-3. The Irish went to the Fiesta Bowl, and many, many people were against that.

As HD MM probably knows, the Irish got bi*ch-slapped by OSU in the Fiesta Bowl.

My question is, why didn't Texas Tech get snapped up? They had the same record, and were more explosive than the Irish (Ironically, Cody Hodges had numbers that weren't as good as Harrell's).

A Texas Tech-Ohio State Fiesta Bowl? THAT would have been awesome! (And could happen this year, though Sandra would be scared to death at the thought of Malcolm trying to cover Crabtree)

TT was ranked 19 and 20 in '05, while ND was ranked 9 and 11, that might explain why ND got the bowl bid.

This does suck for the Big East teams ....
You've currently got WV, S. Florida and possibly Rutgers as prominent teams, now you can only have 2 teams from a conference in the BCS, IF ND should be ranked ahead of them, they would only have the winner the only one qualifiying , I do not expect ND to be in a BCS game this year, but eventually they will... of course they didn't deserve to be in the ones they were in in most previous years, but thats another issue.

Jimbo

That is correct. For the Big East bowl agreements (with the exception of the BCS Bowls), Notre Dame is considered a Big East team.

You're quoting Ramy, agreeing, and contradicting! :)

Notre Dame only counts in non-BCS bowls, THAT is correct. BCS is its own animal.

Is anyone watching the OSU vs. Ohio game on ESPN right now?! It's 7-3 Bobcats late in the 1st quarter.

The Bucks offense looks horrid and it seems like they are playing down to the competition (no offense Bobcat fans). Evidently they thought they could coast through this game and are looking forward to week 3 against USC. Tressel better rip into these guys at halftime! :mad:

BTW, I am watching this game in an opposite room of my wife right now. In my superstitious mind I felt as if SHE was the reason why the Bobcats are winning. My wife is an Ohio University Alumn and is rooting for the Bobcats.

Mc Nabb's Yard Vandalized

Alonzo Mourning retires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts