NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

Are your kidding? The reason Ohio State isn't number 1 is because they play in the Big Ten.

Like Paul said, we have 20 starters returning. A few more talking points on why OSU should be #1.....

#1. Our defense is flanked by LB James Laurinaitis. The "Little Animal" won the Butkus Award for most outstanding linebacker in 2007. He was one of the TOP prospects in last year's draft, however he chose to come back to OSU. I'm sure he'll be even more dominant this year.

#2. Our offense is flanked by RB Chris Beanie Wells. He's expected to compete for the Heisman this year and is considered one of the, if not the best RB's in all of College.

#3. We have the #1 HS recruit in the nation in Terrell Pryor. And he's our backup QB!

#4. One of the best Offensive Lines in the League.
This year, we are returning four of his five starters from the unit that last year paved the way for tailback Chris Wells to rush for over 1,609 yards, and allowed only nine sacks of All Big Ten quarterback Todd Boeckman, helping make Boeckman the conference leader in passing efficiency for the 2007 season by a wide margin.

#5. The Buckeyes had the best defense in the Big Ten last year, and one of the best in the country statistically, and they accomplished that with a relatively inexperienced defensive line. We are one year older this year, look out!

I'm just tired of the "How Ohio State is so powerful" talk, but they can't win the big game.

Sorry Jimbo, no offense intended.:)

We won in 2002, but everyone only seems to want to remember and talk about the loses. At the time, OSU's victory over Miami U was considered a huge upset.

And how are you so tired of the "Ohio State is so powerful" talk? I haven't seen a single publication of anyone claiming them to be #1. In that case, there's not enough talk of them.

With all due respect to these polls, the Buckeyes IMO are the ONLY clear cut #1 right now. Any thing less is just plain comical. The only reason why they didn't get the #1 right off the bat is the fear of a public outcry because of the previous 2 years meltdown in the Championship.

Word of caution, THIS season's team should be MUCH better than last years. We didn't even expect a National Championship run last year, this year we do.

The buckeyes quite possibly the most overrated team in the nation. They have a very weak conference this year, if they DO not go undefeated that will be a shocker. Who are they playing that is a extremely tough team this year?

Like Paul said, we have 20 starters returning. A few more talking points on why OSU should be #1.....

#1. Our defense is flanked by LB James Laurinaitis. The "Little Animal" won the Butkus Award for most outstanding linebacker in 2007. He was one of the TOP prospects in last year's draft, however he chose to come back to OSU. I'm sure he'll be even more dominant this year.

#2. Our offense is flanked by RB Chris Beanie Wells. He's expected to compete for the Heisman this year and is considered one of the, if not the best RB's in all of College.

#3. We have the #1 HS recruit in the nation in Terrell Pryor. And he's our backup QB!

#4. One of the best Offensive Lines in the League.
This year, we are returning four of his five starters from the unit that last year paved the way for tailback Chris Wells to rush for over 1,609 yards, and allowed only nine sacks of All Big Ten quarterback Todd Boeckman, helping make Boeckman the conference leader in passing efficiency for the 2007 season by a wide margin.

#5. The Buckeyes had the best defense in the Big Ten last year, and one of the best in the country statistically, and they accomplished that with a relatively inexperienced defensive line. We are one year older this year, look out!

As a wise man once said: There are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics. LSU was mightly impressed with those numbers, weren't they?

Yeah, I don't know about OSU being the "ONLY clear-cut #1". I think Georgia, OSU, and USC are a little above everyone right now, but saying OSU is the only one that should be ranked #1 sounds like a bit of homerism to me. Georgia was 7-0 over the last part of the 2007 season with wins over four ranked teams and they have all their stars back.

We won in 2002, but everyone only seems to want to remember and talk about the loses. At the time, OSU's victory over Miami U was considered a huge upset.

And how are you so tired of the "Ohio State is so powerful" talk? I haven't seen a single publication of anyone claiming them to be #1. In that case, there's not enough talk of them.

Google is great.

Why Ohio State should start the season No. 1 - Ohio State Buckeyes News, Blogs, Scores, Photos, Multimedia from The Plain Dealer - cleveland.com

Sporting News - Your expert source for MLB Baseball, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, NHL Hockey, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball and Fantasy Sports scores, blogs, and articles

But mainly people like this guy.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1488522-post434.html

Matt, I was thinking more along the lines that outside of the BIG TEN, most notably the BCS (both years) your defense was nowhere to be found. If you guys get past USC and MICHIGAN, another championship game will be in your sights again. Just be sure that the defense gets plane tickets this time.:D

Ohio State has gotten tons of flak for how they fare against SEC teams.

I think this year, things will be differently. They'll face a Big 12 team in their bowl, probably Texas Tech (I hope) or Missouri (Oklahoma always loses to a softie and Texas is overrated and they have no defense)

Everyone talks about SEC speed- Try stopping Michael Crabtree or Jeremy Maclin. (Graham Harrell and Chase Daniel, IMO, are superior QB's than the overrated Tebow, the Brady Quinn of the SEC)

Oh, and Texas Tech would stomp any SEC team. Good luck stopping that offense!

The buckeyes quite possibly the most overrated team in the nation. They have a very weak conference this year, if they DO not go undefeated that will be a shocker. Who are they playing that is a extremely tough team this year?

Um. Did you miss Paul's post mentioning that we have 20 returning? We are 23-3 in the last 2 years and have gone to 2 straight National Championships, yet we're "the most overrated team in the nation"? Are you kidding me?

Also, we play USC the third game of the season. I'd say, that's a "tough" opponent. When the schedule/rankings originally came out, we were one of 2 teams to play 5 games against teams ranked in the top 25. The other was Georgia. I will try to find that post. So you're post claiming that OSU is playing a "very weak schedule" holds no weight.

Please research before spewing bias hatred. Admit it, you're jealous and move on.

Sabres, a question.

You're a big TT believer and you also take shots at anyone who says Florida will finish high (mainly cracking on their defense). What say you to the fact that Florida had basically the same (actually a little better) offensive and defensive scoring stats as Texas Tech last year (actually Florida averaged 1.3 more offensive points and 1.6 less defensive points per game)?

Um. Did you miss Paul's post mentioning that we have 20 returning? We are 23-3 in the last 2 years and have gone to 2 straight National Championships, yet we're "the most overrated team in the nation"? Are you kidding me?

Also, we play USC the third game of the season. I'd say, that's a "tough" opponent. When the schedule/rankings originally came out, we were one of 2 teams to play 5 games against teams ranked in the top 25. The other was Georgia. I will try to find that post. So you're post claiming that OSU is playing a "very weak schedule" holds no weight.

Please research before spewing bias hatred. Admit it, you're jealous and move on.

He said they have a weak conference.

He didn't say out of conference.

You guys play USC and a beat up Michigan... If Mich was full strength id agree they have some tough games ahead..

GA has Florida, LSU (back to back), Tenn, Auburn (big rivalries)

As everyone has mentioned if OSU gets by USC there season is pretty much set in stone. GA though has a much tougher road to glory.

Being a FLA fan I hope we kick there ass, however I am not so sure, GA whooped us good last year.

Jealous? Just two years ago my team made yours look like a high school team.

I think this year, things will be differently. They'll face a Big 12 team in their bowl, probably Texas Tech (I hope) or Missouri (Oklahoma always loses to a softie and Texas is overrated and they have no defense)
Sorry, Sabres. OU may lose to a softy somewhere in their schedule, but they won't lose to Missouri in the Big-12 championship. OU beat Missouri twice last year. No reason to think they won't do it again this year.

But one of these days, if the BCS championship isn't on the line, we need to lose the Big-12 championship so we don't have to go back to the Fiesta Bowl. That's getting boring going there year after year.

You guys play USC and a beat up Michigan... If Mich was full strength id agree they have some tough games ahead..

GA has Florida, LSU (back to back), Tenn, Auburn (big rivalries)

As everyone has mentioned if OSU gets by USC there season is pretty much set in stone. GA though has a much tougher road to glory.

Being a FLA fan I hope we kick there ass, however I am not so sure, GA whooped us good last year.

Jealous? Just two years ago my team made yours look like a high school team.

We play other tough games besides USC and a "beat up" Michigan....

USC, Michigan, Penn St, Wisconsin and Illinois are all ranked in the top 25. Of those games, 3 of them are on the road. (USC, Wisconsin and Illinois).

If the Buckeyes were to not make the BCS title game (this is just a hypothetical situation), where would they probably end up?

I predict either the Rose or Cotton Bowl if they don't play on th 8th of January in Miami for all the oranges.

GA plays 3 TOP TEN teams. and 2 top 20 teams.

In conference Wis and Ill are your only real competition, and even those teams are not National Champion contenders. and Penn State? Give me a break.

GA plays FLA and LSU both National Champion Contenders.

of FLA and GA FLA has a relatively weak schedule. FLA is in the same boat OSU is in, in my opinion. GA being Floridas USC and LSU being Mich. Not taking into account Florida playing Miami, a huge match up for the two teams.

If the Buckeyes were to not make the BCS title game (this is just a hypothetical situation), where would they probably end up?

I predict either the Rose or Cotton Bowl if they don't play on th 8th of January in Miami for all the oranges.
The Cotton Bowl is a Big XII-SEC matchup. Ohio St can't play there. If they miss the NC, then they will go to the Rose Bowl, provided they won the Big Ten. If they don't win the Big Ten they will go to one of the games in Fla like the Outback Bowl or Capital One Bowl where the Big Ten has ties. Or they could get an at large berth in the BCS and could play virtually anywhere. They were in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)